Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: To those using UV Dlp mod. Have you guys seen any damage..

    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 6, 2013
      Lamp life would seem one factor and a potential speed boost. But as you say the layer separation is the bottle neck and Torben wrote about that very fact.

      As for hubbub, apart from this topic there is not much discussion in the group, perhaps the problem is solved and we can stop bothering with development like the big players. Or perhaps at some point something useful does emerge, that's the thing about research.

      Graham

      On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM, arthur2shedsj <arthur2shedsj@...> wrote:

      Please pardon my ignorance here. Why all the hubub about LED's when you can use a standard DLP projector with only a slight modification to the lens (close focus) an achieve <1 sec cure time per 0.1mm layer now with resin at ~$40/Kg right now in low volumes?

      People are bringing up 100W led arrays and similar when a standard 200W lamp works just fine. The limiting factor for most designs is dealing with the movement of the stage between layers, not the cure times per layer.

    • arthur2shedsj
      Message 47 of 47 , Mar 7, 2013
        The other issue we have run into is the waste heat converted by a lamp. Compact designs require lots of airflow to keep the electronics cool.

        The heat may also be conveyed to the photopolymer in the vat to reduce the viscosity via a heatpipe. If you use LED's then you can just add a cartridge heater to the vat.