Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: To those using UV Dlp mod. Have you guys seen any damage..

    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 4, 2013
      I can absolutely imagine LEDs being the future however they will be far more suitable as the size of the source reduces for a given power output, the 100W LEDs I have seen are large arrays. Anyway I've said all this before so I will leave it.

      Cheers,

      Graham

      On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM, luis h <luisguillermo98@...> wrote:

      a high power 100watt LED can produce almost 12000 lumems and they last 10000 hours or more so we are getting fast curing and the bulb will last for years.. LED light are 50% cooler than HIP bulb so I believe the light will go easy on the chip.. I think having LED on projectors will be very beneficial specially for those building 3d printers for others, for the DIY and industrial market.

      Luis

      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler wrote:

      > On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM, arthur2shedsj wrote:
      >
      > > **

      > > Reduce this to 90% for path losses and you end up with 14.67mw/cm^2
      > >

      > I would suspect it would be much more like reduce by 90% than to 90%
      >
      > If your numbers are right then what are we all wasting our time with lamps
      > for?
      >
      > Graham
      >

      > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler

      > > > Energy is spread not lost, the absorption in the air would be negligible.
      > > >
      > > > but I have not seen any 3D printers using small UV LEDs of any sort,
      > > there
      > > > is that little SLA system using the laser diode but that's a different
      > > > kettle of fish.

    • arthur2shedsj
      Message 47 of 47 , Mar 7, 2013
        The other issue we have run into is the waste heat converted by a lamp. Compact designs require lots of airflow to keep the electronics cool.

        The heat may also be conveyed to the photopolymer in the vat to reduce the viscosity via a heatpipe. If you use LED's then you can just add a cartridge heater to the vat.