Re: RES: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Driving XY galvos from Gcode

  • Graham
    Message 1 of 70 , Feb 27, 2013
      You can trace images easily enough it just adds some more coding to do and use exactly the same compensation when converting pixel position to angle as you would in converting coordinates to angle, there is just a scaling factor between the two things.

      Graham

      On 27 Feb 2013, at 10:20, Murilo Lana <murilo@...> wrote:

      Yes, that's exactly what Form1 does:

      The only way I know it is done is by Gcode.

      Using white pixels to turn on the laser the way you said would make it difficult to compensate for the beam radius. Somehow you would need to shrink the image a little bit to compensate for this.

      Enviado via iPhone

      Em 26/02/2013, às 23:25, Graham <grezmos@...> escreveu:

      It's usual for the flavour systems to trace the outlines as well as raster so that MIGHT make things more complex, I don't know if it is absolutely necessary though.

      Graham

      On 27 Feb 2013, at 01:16, Chris Marion <chrismarion@...> wrote:

      If creating a plugin for my software, it might be even easier - no Gcode to decipher. My slicing software already produces black&white slice images, and by setting the resolution of these slices you could match it to the angular resolution you have on your galvos. Then just scan through each line of pixels in the slice as you scan the galvo in the same pattern, turning the laser on/off rapidly as needed to produce the image. Encountering a white pixel turns the laser on, otherwise it's off. Z axis, tilt mechanism, sensors, etc are also all taken care of already if it is built as an extension of 3DLP.

      -Chris

      On 2/26/2013 7:54 PM, Murilo Lana wrote:

      Great to hear that!

      I think this might become a kind of universal 3D printing software =-)
      Like mach3 has its modules: machMill, machTurn, machPlasma, your software could have FDM, DLP, laser modules.

      The idea I have about this software is:

      Read the Gcode from the slices, map the X Y coordinates (zero in the center), translate the coordinates to 0 - 4096 values for each axis so the board can map this values to -+5V.

      There are some other things like z axis,  tilt mechanism and sensors, but this are simpler to deal with.

      Enviado via iPhone

      Em 25/02/2013, às 22:53, Chris Marion <chrismarion@...> escreveu:

      Hi all, it's been a while since I've actively contributed to a discussion, but this is a really interesting one. I may be able to help out in the software department - right now all my efforts are focused upon finishing the newly re-written version of my 3DLP Host software. But considering that much of the supporting code for this has already been written by me, I may be able to write a module for my 3DLP software to support galvo-based printer hardware. This probably couldn't be for a couple months realistically with how much still needs to be done on the 3D slicer and host software, but I'm throwing the idea out there. I'm pretty interested in working on a galvo-based prototype myself, so the timing might be pretty good.

      -Chris

      On 2/22/2013 2:33 PM, Murilo Torres wrote:

      I just read, this Due board has two built-in 12-bit DACs. The sampling rate of this board is around 1000 ksps.