Re: LCD Based Printer; Photopolymer Samples

  • phife54@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 45 , Feb 21, 2013
      Hi Ali,

      A fellow Canadian, where abouts are you?

      I have been developing an LCD based 3d printer for the last 6 months, While my thread has been quiet for some time, rest assured ive been plugging away at it.. Its not been a simple matter. Ive done a lot of testing with different resins, LCD's, Light sources, Lenses, and Electronics.

      I am hoping to release a DIY kit for others to build their own LCD 3D printer. Im working with Chris Marion and we are developing a great machine, I will be using a custom version of Chris's software.

      Dont waste your time with color LCD, you will need a monochrome LCD no matter what.

      My current setup is using a custom 400w MH bulb on a digital ballast, this bulb has a small arc and a very high output in the 390-420nm range and has a large spike at 450nm and not much of the spectrum after that, its a very nice purple/blue color. Optics are very important, and dealing with the heat of the 400w MH bulb must also be address.

      I havent had much success with any other bulbs, I was testing with a 150w MH and a regular 400w MH but they didnt work out.

      The nice thing about the LCD printer is the large build area, I hope to be able to print the entire structure of the printer with the prototype in a reprap style. Print panels, add hardware and electronics and you got a printer. Ive been designing printable panels but there is much to deal with before I even begin printing other machines.

      You will have to deal with all the issues youve listed and more, and its a big task. I encourage you to experiment and try. To start off save you money and dont bother with color LCD's get a monochrome or greyscale LCD used for medical purposes, x-ray imaging.

      If you wait a couple more months I hope to have a working printer and I can spend some time getting a DIY kit out there and write up all that ive learned from my testing ao rhat others can make their own.

      I wish you luck!

      Nick

    • chenw1115@yahoo.cn
      Message 45 of 45 , Apr 23, 2014