RE: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: another good part 2

  • joan raven
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 19, 2013
      WoWWW!!!

      The show first layer in red works perfect!
      I was able to load the .zip file with the png's that u sent me.

      One think that I noticed is slic3r or even magics RP, produces slices with very pixelated borders (aliased)...U can see this clearly in the prints (more on big curved surfaces).
      I was thinking maybe there are a antialiasing filter or watever that can soften al little bit the  jagged contours.

      I found this:

      http://wiki.panotools.org/PanoTools_Anti_Aliasing_Filters.

      Maybe is asking u too much...: )
      Anyway, your software is becoming mature very fast, And I expect it can be the "standard" in the open source-reprap style for dlp printers soon!!!

      To: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
      From: arthur2shedsj@...
      Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 00:44:57 +0000
      Subject: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: another good part 2

      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Ben Mahony wrote:

      > Pumps in commercial printers run nearly constantly depending on width and
      > saturation levels of the print job, or if they are recirculating the white
      > resin.

      Maybe you found one that does since it also must have been designed for cheap white UV ink that doesn't have a stable dispersion of white pigment since it needs to continuously recirculate the ink.

      What viscosity are the resins being used, I don't know the
      > shrinkage rate on the printing resins but they have 0 evaporation
      > component, so wouldn't imagine they shrink that much, and if you apply a
      > full coat there is no visible crazing that might suggest shrinkage. They
      > are fully cured in a single pass of 20watts of uv light.

      UV inkjet inks are typically 100% solids but maybe not in your case since they also need to recirculate the white ink. Maybe they cut other corners as well?

      >But there is little concern for shrinking.

      Some low viscosity monomers will shrink up to 20% that are used in inks. The printers only put down a layer of ink a few microns thick so it's not really much of a concern.

      Anyway I'll test
      > some next week. I guess the issue is they are formulated for very narrow
      > sensativity 385nm plus minus 5nm, basically uneffected by visable light.
      > So standard projectors might not have any or enough output at 385nm?

      Most UV inks cure at 365nm and under. Not really a narrow range, but 285-370nm is pretty common. I'm a bit intrigued as to what oddball printer and UV ink it is that you have managed to come across.

    • jwanett
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 19, 2013
        Sorry!!!

        I answered the wrong mail!!