Re: ultrasound mixer

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 17, 2013
      it would be off when projecting. don´t know how the resin would react to it thou.
      I´ve seeing some water oil blending being done with ultrasound maybe it can keep the pigment well mixed in the resin.
      there are some cheap facial cleaning ultrasound stuff on ebay.
      another idea is to use a couple pager motors to vibrate the glass.

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 18, 2013
          maybe you are right, i´ve being thinking about and i think a vibration system might work better then pumps. i just need to shake things up.
          A pump would still have the pigment setting down at corner of the vat unless i´ve a tube running along the vat´s edge with lots of holes on it but then i mould need a powerfull pump and need extra resin to fill it up.
          i don´t want to remove the resin from vat when i´m not using it becouse i lose some resin everytime i clean the vat and it can damage the silicon on a short time.
          So, I think of having four motors with impellers or a single motor with a mixing arm (rc servo motor) to keep things moving when i´m not using it.my vat has a air tight top lid on it adding motors with impellers on the lid to keep it moving when i´m not using looks like a better idea.It would turn on and of maybe every 15 min. in stand by.
          if i increase the vat return speed when printing would also keep the resin moving around and keep it well mixed during the build process.

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 18, 2013
            Magnetic stirrer "fleas" might be a neat way to do it.

            Graham

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler wrote:

            > Or vibrate some paddles suspended in the resin. Or what about a frame
            > (square with square cut out) sitting in the tank at the bottom around the
            > build area, lifting this up and down would cause resin to be sucked under
            > and then pushed out disturbing it?
            >
            > One general issue with using pumps to mix might be that you end up with
            > areas with less flow and therefore a build up, like silt in a river. An
            > ultrasonic mixer may be just the thing, no where for the resin to hide?
            >
            > Graham
            >

            > On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 12:35 AM, afogassa wrote:
            >
            > > **

            > > it would be off when projecting. don´t know how the resin would react to
            > > it thou.
            > > I´ve seeing some water oil blending being done with ultrasound maybe it
            > > can keep the pigment well mixed in the resin.
            > > there are some cheap facial cleaning ultrasound stuff on ebay.
            > > another idea is to use a couple pager motors to vibrate the glass.

          • Lino
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 18, 2013

              I will add that machines like traditional sla’s simply use the build plate to mix the material by lowering it and raising it in between builds.

              Magnetic stirrer "fleas" might be a neat way to do it.

              Graham

              On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 2:59 PM, afogassa <afogassa@...> wrote:

              maybe you are right, i´ve being thinking about and i think a vibration system might work better then pumps. i just need to shake things up.
              A pump would still have the pigment setting down at corner of the vat unless i´ve a tube running along the vat´s edge with lots of holes on it but then i mould need a powerfull pump and need extra resin to fill it up.
              i don´t want to remove the resin from vat when i´m not using it becouse i lose some resin everytime i clean the vat and it can damage the silicon on a short time.
              So, I think of having four motors with impellers or a single motor with a mixing arm (rc servo motor) to keep things moving when i´m not using it.my vat has a air tight top lid on it adding motors with impellers on the lid to keep it moving when i´m not using looks like a better idea.It would turn on and of maybe every 15 min. in stand by.
              if i increase the vat return speed when printing would also keep the resin moving around and keep it well mixed during the build process.

              --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler wrote:

              > Or vibrate some paddles suspended in the resin. Or what about a frame
              > (square with square cut out) sitting in the tank at the bottom around the
              > build area, lifting this up and down would cause resin to be sucked under
              > and then pushed out disturbing it?
              >
              > One general issue with using pumps to mix might be that you end up with
              > areas with less flow and therefore a build up, like silt in a river. An
              > ultrasonic mixer may be just the thing, no where for the resin to hide?
              >
              > Graham
              >

              > On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 12:35 AM, afogassa wrote:
              >
              > > **

              > > it would be off when projecting. don´t know how the resin would react to
              > > it thou.
              > > I´ve seeing some water oil blending being done with ultrasound maybe it
              > > can keep the pigment well mixed in the resin.
              > > there are some cheap facial cleaning ultrasound stuff on ebay.
              > > another idea is to use a couple pager motors to vibrate the glass.

            • arthur2shedsj
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 18, 2013
                --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "afogassa" <afogassa@...> wrote:

                > maybe you are right, i´ve being thinking about and i think a vibration system might work better then pumps. i just need to shake things up.

                It's called a sonicator. Chemists that make inks, photopolymers, etc, etc, routinely use them to mix components.

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONFk6PZ2nNY is an example of dispersing carbon black in water with the aid of a sonicator. The carbon black won't be stable in the water (stay in suspension for several weeks/months) without additional processing steps.