RE: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: Hello

  • joan raven
    Message 1 of 44 , Feb 11, 2013
      An image file will work, no need to get the svg.

      You can use a bigger diametter of the support for the attachment layers....a pattern of dots work really nice! Just like each support have his own base...or a square base for each support....something like this will work.

      And reallly glad testing your script!!! I will help you as much as I can!!

      Joan

      To: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
      From: loquin.guillaume@...
      Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 22:20:51 +0000
      Subject: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: Hello

      Hello Joan,

      thanks for the feedback !

      i will update a new version with caped supports tomorrow :)you can add a cap_hole modifier to your mesh to solve the problem.

      i will also try to replace the rectangle base by another pattern. that's not easy to know what is good or not because my 3d printer is not ready to print yet, that's why your feddback is important :)

      i'm focusing on the support generator for now, the slicer script is already working but i have to find a solution for slicing hollowed objects(it's a tricky part to make in 3dsmax).
      you can export for wathever bitmap files you want. i'm not sure 3dsmax can handle svg files, but i will check.

      Guillaume.

      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, joan raven wrote:

      > Now works perfect!!
      > One thing that i noticed is the supports are not a solid (are no-capped in the bottom), so if i slice this in slic3r, will give me an error. The supports need to be capped or at least have enough wall thickness.One idea that suggested Graham and Ron Light, is the rectangle as a base is not a good idea (it will peel of one of the corners)...try a hexagons pattern, a checker pattern (less surface interconnected in the attachment layers is much better than a solid rectangle).
      > Any fresh news of your slicer?? It will export to SVG?? or png??
      > Man, I really excited with your script!!!
      >
      > CHEERS from Spain!
      > P.d: Take it seriously the attachment layers advice, I'm printing a lot this days and I think this is the KEY for succesfull prints!!!
      >
      > To: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
      > From: loquin.guillaume@...
      > Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 08:51:16 +0000
      > Subject: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: Hello

      > ok, i've uploaded a new working version, thanks for your help.
      >

      > Guillaume.
      >

      > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, joan raven wrote:
      >

      > > I tried with 2012 ans 2011.
      >
      > > But mainly happens this: The supports pass through the model till they reach the top surface of the model.
      >
      > > Weird
      >

      > > To: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > > From: loquin.guillaume@
      >
      > > Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 18:45:24 +0000
      >
      > > Subject: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: Hello

      > > Hello,
      >

      > > That's weird! :) wich 3dsmax version do you have? Can you send me a screenshot please ?
      >

      > > I think the .obj exporter messed up the pivot point of the supports.
      >

      > > Thanks!
      >

      > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, joan raven wrote:
      >

      > > > Works but in weird manner....
      >

      > > > The supports appears reversed, from the top of the object to the "sky".The support doesn't go from the plane to the object.
      >

      > > > I can send pictures.
      >

      > > > But this is gonna be amazing!!
      >

      > > > To: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
      >

      > > > From: loquin.guillaume@
      >

      > > > Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 16:33:45 +0000
      >

      > > > Subject: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: Hello

      > > > i think it will not work on gmax... but that's worth the try :)

      > > > you can also download a 3dsmax trial.

      > > > Guillaume.

    • Paul
      Message 44 of 44 , Jan 11, 2016
        Thanks Harvey,
        Plenty to read and digest,

        Paul

        On 11/01/2016 21:00, Harvey White madyn@... [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] wrote:

        On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 18:05:51 +0000, you wrote:

        >Thanks for the various answers, it seems I was applying my knowledge of
        >older CNC machine tools incorrectly,

        Not necessarily so. Servo systems excel in higher power and larger
        systems. Most industrial systems seem to be servo systems. Stepper
        systems (smaller, less expensive) are generally on smaller systems and
        do not necessarily have the same difficulties.

        Servos can run into a stop, and with full power on the motors, can
        stall, overheat, and burn out (without protection). A stalled stepper
        simply is stalled and cannot be damaged by having the shaft locked.

        On the other hand, neither system will be happy when the tool runs
        into the lathe chuck, or you drill into the mill table, or knock the
        plastic off the table.

        All depends on what you have experience with. I'd suggest Gecko as a
        good source of learning material (www.geckodrives.com I think). Very
        good people to deal with.

        Harvey