failed print detection

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2013

      Following on from talk of supports and support base attachment etc for DLP based printers, if your part detaches or partially detaches from the build platform that can cause real problems.

      From my experience it can lead to resin flying all over the place and a plate of resin stuck to the PDMS causing it to swell badly so it needs to be replaced.

      I'm thinking that some means of detecting delamination could be a really good way to prevent all the problems that can ensue if the printer is allowed to carry on after the failure.

      A grid of capacitive sensors that detect when something changes after the base attachment is built. I don't think it would have to be especially complicated, some PCB and a microcontroller, perhaps capacitive sensing is not the right method but something like it.

      If the build platform is transparent then that could also help detection though you may have issues with resin all over the place.

      Cheers,