Supports and bases

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
      Having just seen Guillaume's cool software and having had a few issues with supports myself on my B9Creator I wondered if it might be good to have some discussion on support structure generation as well as optimal bases.

      So I can understand how a bed of nails can be created automatically to support a given structure, this seems to be the sort of thing that the form1 has but I'm wondering how these systems deal with geometries where there is a need to support the structure higher up in the model? I've also wondered about other structures closer to a scaffold, these are fairly easy to generate even at the layer level, I'd even thought of trying to embed a complicated model in a fine cloud of this sort of structure, I have CT data I am printing and I've been trying to print from the raw layer data and SLC files, support generation is not something I can do in CAD easily.

      Finally the base, it seems common to just have a flat rectangle for the base. I've seen these peel on FDM and the resin based machines. It seems to me you want to have a large surface area for bonding but a structure that does not want to curl, I wondered about a triangular sectioned latticework from which the support structures could sprout. The decreasing area of the subsequent layers of the triangle might help to reduce the warp?

      Just looking to start some chat on the subject

      Cheers,

      Graham
    • loquin.guillaume
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
        atm my script can't generate support for higher and occluded parts of the model (i'm just doing raycast from the base to the bottom of the model with a given resolution). i don't think the formlabs software can do it too. i see a way to solve this problem with a boolean operation between the model and a thin structure pattern all around.

        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler wrote:

        > Having just seen Guillaume's cool software and having had a few issues with
        > supports myself on my B9Creator I wondered if it might be good to have some
        > discussion on support structure generation as well as optimal bases.
        >
        > So I can understand how a bed of nails can be created automatically to
        > support a given structure, this seems to be the sort of thing that the
        > form1 has but I'm wondering how these systems deal with geometries where
        > there is a need to support the structure higher up in the model? I've also
        > wondered about other structures closer to a scaffold, these are fairly easy
        > to generate even at the layer level, I'd even thought of trying to embed a
        > complicated model in a fine cloud of this sort of structure, I have CT data
        > I am printing and I've been trying to print from the raw layer data and SLC
        > files, support generation is not something I can do in CAD easily.
        >
        > Finally the base, it seems common to just have a flat rectangle for the
        > base. I've seen these peel on FDM and the resin based machines. It seems to
        > me you want to have a large surface area for bonding but a structure that
        > does not want to curl, I wondered about a triangular sectioned latticework
        > from which the support structures could sprout. The decreasing area of
        > the subsequent layers of the triangle might help to reduce the warp?
        >
        > Just looking to start some chat on the subject
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Graham

      • luis h
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
          Hi Grahan,
          I would like to know more about your issues you guys having in creating support material. I finally my software, the microslicer (http://nanomaker.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html) and it has a set of tool for material support but still do not understand what are the issues creating support on large structure you guys mentioned. Really appreciate if you can provide more details about this issue so I can start working on my own software to see how can this problem be solved or at least try.

          Luis

          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler wrote:

          > Having just seen Guillaume's cool software and having had a few issues with
          > supports myself on my B9Creator I wondered if it might be good to have some
          > discussion on support structure generation as well as optimal bases.
          >
          > So I can understand how a bed of nails can be created automatically to
          > support a given structure, this seems to be the sort of thing that the
          > form1 has but I'm wondering how these systems deal with geometries where
          > there is a need to support the structure higher up in the model? I've also
          > wondered about other structures closer to a scaffold, these are fairly easy
          > to generate even at the layer level, I'd even thought of trying to embed a
          > complicated model in a fine cloud of this sort of structure, I have CT data
          > I am printing and I've been trying to print from the raw layer data and SLC
          > files, support generation is not something I can do in CAD easily.
          >
          > Finally the base, it seems common to just have a flat rectangle for the
          > base. I've seen these peel on FDM and the resin based machines. It seems to
          > me you want to have a large surface area for bonding but a structure that
          > does not want to curl, I wondered about a triangular sectioned latticework
          > from which the support structures could sprout. The decreasing area of
          > the subsequent layers of the triangle might help to reduce the warp?
          >
          > Just looking to start some chat on the subject
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Graham

        • loquin.guillaume
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
            your software looks really nice ! Good job.

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "luis h" wrote:

            > Hi Grahan,
            > I would like to know more about your issues you guys having in creating support material. I finally my software, the microslicer (http://nanomaker.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html) and it has a set of tool for material support but still do not understand what are the issues creating support on large structure you guys mentioned. Really appreciate if you can provide more details about this issue so I can start working on my own software to see how can this problem be solved or at least try.
            >
            > Luis
            >

            > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler wrote:
            > >
            > > Having just seen Guillaume's cool software and having had a few issues with
            > > supports myself on my B9Creator I wondered if it might be good to have some
            > > discussion on support structure generation as well as optimal bases.
            > >
            > > So I can understand how a bed of nails can be created automatically to
            > > support a given structure, this seems to be the sort of thing that the
            > > form1 has but I'm wondering how these systems deal with geometries where
            > > there is a need to support the structure higher up in the model? I've also
            > > wondered about other structures closer to a scaffold, these are fairly easy
            > > to generate even at the layer level, I'd even thought of trying to embed a
            > > complicated model in a fine cloud of this sort of structure, I have CT data
            > > I am printing and I've been trying to print from the raw layer data and SLC
            > > files, support generation is not something I can do in CAD easily.
            > >
            > > Finally the base, it seems common to just have a flat rectangle for the
            > > base. I've seen these peel on FDM and the resin based machines. It seems to
            > > me you want to have a large surface area for bonding but a structure that
            > > does not want to curl, I wondered about a triangular sectioned latticework
            > > from which the support structures could sprout. The decreasing area of
            > > the subsequent layers of the triangle might help to reduce the warp?
            > >
            > > Just looking to start some chat on the subject
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > >
            > > Graham

          • joan raven
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
              Luis!! Nice software!

              Any chance for try it??  Does your software communicate with ramps 1.4???

              Thanks a lot!!

              Joan

              To: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
              From: loquin.guillaume@...
              Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 15:20:25 +0000
              Subject: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: Supports and bases

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
                Luis,

                well my basic issue at the moment is that the support generation is manual or must be done in the cad before printing. My data can be quite chaotic and may have negative overhangs anywhere in the model. my structures are not large however.

                Graham

                On Thursday, February 7, 2013, luis h wrote:

                Hi Grahan,
                I would like to know more about your issues you guys having in creating support material. I finally my software, the microslicer (http://nanomaker.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html) and it has a set of tool for material support but still do not understand what are the issues creating support on large structure you guys mentioned. Really appreciate if you can provide more details about this issue so I can start working on my own software to see how can this problem be solved or at least try.

              • cerverds
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
                  I would love to see great open source support gen. i love the idea that you did it in max. i have scripted something similaris using vertex points and occlusion maps in maya with python but it is never as good as some commercial software and i did not finish it because of the commercial software . Magics has an amazing lattice generator for support. i have attached an image so you can see how it look in the bed of the machine after it prints. i hat to crop it a lot so you cant see the project but you can get a good sense of the supports. its a very efficient 3d lattice.

                  --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler wrote:

                  > Having just seen Guillaume's cool software and having had a few issues with
                  > supports myself on my B9Creator I wondered if it might be good to have some
                  > discussion on support structure generation as well as optimal bases.
                  >
                  > So I can understand how a bed of nails can be created automatically to
                  > support a given structure, this seems to be the sort of thing that the
                  > form1 has but I'm wondering how these systems deal with geometries where
                  > there is a need to support the structure higher up in the model? I've also
                  > wondered about other structures closer to a scaffold, these are fairly easy
                  > to generate even at the layer level, I'd even thought of trying to embed a
                  > complicated model in a fine cloud of this sort of structure, I have CT data
                  > I am printing and I've been trying to print from the raw layer data and SLC
                  > files, support generation is not something I can do in CAD easily.
                  >
                  > Finally the base, it seems common to just have a flat rectangle for the
                  > base. I've seen these peel on FDM and the resin based machines. It seems to
                  > me you want to have a large surface area for bonding but a structure that
                  > does not want to curl, I wondered about a triangular sectioned latticework
                  > from which the support structures could sprout. The decreasing area of
                  > the subsequent layers of the triangle might help to reduce the warp?
                  >
                  > Just looking to start some chat on the subject
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Graham

                • luis hernandez
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
                    Ok understand now. Have you tried to read the normal faces of the stl file to create support material?. This is the way most slicers does. Only the vertices with negative values are the ones located underneath the mode or facing down. My approach was totally different and more time consuming to develop but works very fast and accurate.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
                      Hi Joan,
                      believe me, If I had more time I would love to put this software as free-open source but my times is very limited right now. I am working on the controller part right now. I will have my printers loaded with beagleboard or ardruino. However, I am still learning how these drivers works.  The beagleboard will be on more fancy printers  with a lcd screen and the arduino will be on the basic machines.

                      Luis

                      To: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
                      From: loquin.guillaume@...
                      Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 15:20:25 +0000

                      your software looks really nice ! Good job.

                      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "luis h" wrote:

                      > Hi Grahan,
                      > I would like to know more about your issues you guys having in creating support material. I finally my software, the microslicer (http://nanomaker.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html) and it has a set of tool for material support but still do not understand what are the issues creating support on large structure you guys mentioned. Really appreciate if you can provide more details about this issue so I can start working on my own software to see how can this problem be solved or at least try.
                      >
                      > Luis
                      >

                      > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Having just seen Guillaume's cool software and having had a few issues with
                      > > supports myself on my B9Creator I wondered if it might be good to have some
                      > > discussion on support structure generation as well as optimal bases.
                      > >
                      > > So I can understand how a bed of nails can be created automatically to
                      > > support a given structure, this seems to be the sort of thing that the
                      > > form1 has but I'm wondering how these systems deal with geometries where
                      > > there is a need to support the structure higher up in the model? I've also
                      > > wondered about other structures closer to a scaffold, these are fairly easy
                      > > to generate even at the layer level, I'd even thought of trying to embed a
                      > > complicated model in a fine cloud of this sort of structure, I have CT data
                      > > I am printing and I've been trying to print from the raw layer data and SLC
                      > > files, support generation is not something I can do in CAD easily.
                      > >
                      > > Finally the base, it seems common to just have a flat rectangle for the
                      > > base. I've seen these peel on FDM and the resin based machines. It seems to
                      > > me you want to have a large surface area for bonding but a structure that
                      > > does not want to curl, I wondered about a triangular sectioned latticework
                      > > from which the support structures could sprout. The decreasing area of
                      > > the subsequent layers of the triangle might help to reduce the warp?
                      > >
                      > > Just looking to start some chat on the subject
                      > >
                      > > Cheers,
                      > >
                      > > Graham

                    • luis hernandez
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013

                        It took me almost a year to make it stable and free of major bugs but it is working like champ now..  Thank you for your comments..

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
                          I don't use an stl. Unless I simplify the data which I want to avoid an stl would be over 300mb and this kills most pieces of software I have tried.

                          instead I generate SLC files which are contour based and much smaller (around 20mb) the b9 creator can print these files directly without need for slicing it works well but I added the supports manually in the layer editor and it took a while and was hard work because of the nature of the data.

                          Graham

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
                            That's interesting and makes me think it might be worth trying, I can add a latice to the layer data with some simple code, after all it will just be some blobs moving around really. It would be good to reduce he thickness at the contact points though and that would need to be done in the 3D domain I suspect, will give it thought.

                            Graham

                            On Thursday, February 7, 2013, cerverds wrote:

                            I would love to see great open source support gen. i love the idea that you did it in max. i have scripted something similaris using vertex points and occlusion maps in maya with python but it is never as good as some commercial software and i did not finish it because of the commercial software . Magics has an amazing lattice generator for support. i have attached an image so you can see how it look in the bed of the machine after it prints. i hat to crop it a lot so you cant see the project but you can get a good sense of the supports. its a very efficient 3d lattice.

                            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler wrote:

                            > Having just seen Guillaume's cool software and having had a few issues with
                            > supports myself on my B9Creator I wondered if it might be good to have some
                            > discussion on support structure generation as well as optimal bases.
                            >
                            > So I can understand how a bed of nails can be created automatically to
                            > support a given structure, this seems to be the sort of thing that the
                            > form1 has but I'm wondering how these systems deal with geometries where
                            > there is a need to support the structure higher up in the model? I've also
                            > wondered about other structures closer to a scaffold, these are fairly easy
                            > to generate even at the layer level, I'd even thought of trying to embed a
                            > complicated model in a fine cloud of this sort of structure, I have CT data
                            > I am printing and I've been trying to print from the raw layer data and SLC
                            > files, support generation is not something I can do in CAD easily.
                            >
                            > Finally the base, it seems common to just have a flat rectangle for the
                            > base. I've seen these peel on FDM and the resin based machines. It seems to
                            > me you want to have a large surface area for bonding but a structure that
                            > does not want to curl, I wondered about a triangular sectioned latticework
                            > from which the support structures could sprout. The decreasing area of
                            > the subsequent layers of the triangle might help to reduce the warp?
                            >
                            > Just looking to start some chat on the subject
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            >
                            > Graham

                          • luis hernandez
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
                              So your software does not use a stl file?. What is the SLC file?. I am assuming the SLC files comes with vertices as other 3d  cad files correct?.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013

                                I am printing CT data, that is already in layers so I convert this into an SLC file which consists of the contours that define the solids in each layer. No CAD is involved. But mine is a specific issue, I'm still interested to investigate types of supports and the strategies to create them regardless of the data type.

                                Graham

                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
                                  Ok so the user has to have the model in CT data not stl?.  So how you handle the files, suing vertices or faces?

                                  This is what my software does to create support material. After slicing the model, let say 100 layers. It scan the object from layer 1 to the layer 100 or the top one and add every layers and create a region so the final layer or image will be the sum of all layers then it does the same from layers 2 to the top layer then the 3 layer to the top and so on so by doing this it create support only in the places needed.  The trick here is to make this scan as fast  as possible, doing it without an mathematical algorithmic procedure will be a very slow process.  Once the layers are built in a array it called an image in different pattern and show it only within region just built.  The good thing about this approach is that I can put any pattern from square, cross to lines or dot or any image the end users create.  By the way, congratulation on your printers, very nice machine at very low cost.

                                  Luis

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
                                    On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM, luis hernandez <luisguillermo98@...> wrote:

                                    Ok so the user has to have the model in CT data not stl?.  So how you handle the files, suing vertices or faces?

                                    I am not developing software for a 3D printer nor have I. The printer I have (which I got through kickstarter) has software that can handle STL and it allows manual adding of supports. But it also allows the printing of image stacks and SLC files so I am using this feature.

[...]

                                    Can this method add supports within a model? i.e. not just from the bottom. Not sure what you mean about "your printers"

                                    Graham
                                  • luis hernandez
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
                                      I am sorry Graham, For some reason I thought you were the one who creates the B9 printers. Or you probably mentioned this printers and I thought you were the one behind that machine..

                                      Luis

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
                                        I'll take that as a complement as it is a great machine and Mike has done an excellent job :)

                                        Graham

                                        On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM, luis hernandez <luisguillermo98@...> wrote:

                                        I am sorry Graham, For some reason I thought you were the one who creates the B9 printers. Or you probably mentioned this printers and I thought you were the one behind that machine..

                                        Luis

                                      • Jon Elson
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 7, 2013
                                          luis hernandez wrote:

                                          > I am sorry Graham, For some reason I thought you were the one who
                                          > creates the B9 printers. Or you probably mentioned this printers and I
                                          > thought you were the one behind that machine..

                                          No, that is Michael Joyce.