A height maximum has been reached...

    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 20, 2012
      @Group

      I just uploaded some photos of the tallest thing I could print.
      It is a model car and it is 120.1mm I still have about 10mm to spare on the linear slide, but I'll have to remove the object with a spatula from the build platform while it is still bolted on the printer.
      The accuracy in amazing. The smallest feature size is about 0.25 in XY and 0.18 in Z. The print job had to be reprinted since in the Drying/hardening phase it developed a little De-lamination of the layers. It was the longest job I've ever printed - 16h straight for the bumper and wheels. I was biting my nails as there was a serious snowfall and hoping there was no power outage for more than 2h ( I have a UPS ) and ruining the print.

      /photos/album/867122385/pic/list

      Cheers Gang!

      Peter
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 20, 2012
        Awsome! good to have a ups, my light just burn off becouse of repeted power outages and it will take a month to get another lamp at 400 bucks! right when i was chosing a ups for mine :-( oh, well...

        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "pzamov" <pzamov@...> wrote:

        > @Group
        >
        > I just uploaded some photos of the tallest thing I could print.
        > It is a model car and it is 120.1mm I still have about 10mm to spare on the linear slide, but I'll have to remove the object with a spatula from the build platform while it is still bolted on the printer.
        > The accuracy in amazing. The smallest feature size is about 0.25 in XY and 0.18 in Z. The print job had to be reprinted since in the Drying/hardening phase it developed a little De-lamination of the layers. It was the longest job I've ever printed - 16h straight for the bumper and wheels. I was biting my nails as there was a serious snowfall and hoping there was no power outage for more than 2h ( I have a UPS ) and ruining the print.

        > /photos/album/867122385/pic/list
        >
        > Cheers Gang!
        >
        > Peter

      • luis h
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 20, 2012
          Peter,
          What resin are you using?. What projector brand and model do you use?

          Luis..

          n diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "pzamov" <pzamov@...> wrote:

          > @Group
          >
          > I just uploaded some photos of the tallest thing I could print.
          > It is a model car and it is 120.1mm I still have about 10mm to spare on the linear slide, but I'll have to remove the object with a spatula from the build platform while it is still bolted on the printer.
          > The accuracy in amazing. The smallest feature size is about 0.25 in XY and 0.18 in Z. The print job had to be reprinted since in the Drying/hardening phase it developed a little De-lamination of the layers. It was the longest job I've ever printed - 16h straight for the bumper and wheels. I was biting my nails as there was a serious snowfall and hoping there was no power outage for more than 2h ( I have a UPS ) and ruining the print.

          > /photos/album/867122385/pic/list
          >
          > Cheers Gang!
          >
          > Peter

        • Fernando Muñiz

            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 20, 2012
              Hi Luis,

              http://3dlprint.com
              http://3dlprint.blogspot.com

              It is all there. The resin is from:

              http://www.spotamaterials.com/ - Fernando

              Cheers!
              Peter

              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 20, 2012
                Hi Fernando,
                It was interesting to see the use of the entire build envelope being used. I place my supports manually and it was also a proof that I am in the right direction with doing that.

                Cheers!
                Peter

                --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Fernando Muñiz <spacecaptain@...> wrote:

                > Wohoo! Great job there reaching for the edges of the envelope, PZ!
                > Must have been nerve racking!
                >
                > On 12/20/2012 05:56 PM, pzamov wrote:
                > >
                > > @Group
                > >
                > > I just uploaded some photos of the tallest thing I could print.
                > > It is a model car and it is 120.1mm I still have about 10mm to spare
                > > on the linear slide, but I'll have to remove the object with a spatula
                > > from the build platform while it is still bolted on the printer.
                > > The accuracy in amazing. The smallest feature size is about 0.25 in XY
                > > and 0.18 in Z. The print job had to be reprinted since in the
                > > Drying/hardening phase it developed a little De-lamination of the
                > > layers. It was the longest job I've ever printed - 16h straight for
                > > the bumper and wheels. I was biting my nails as there was a serious
                > > snowfall and hoping there was no power outage for more than 2h ( I
                > > have a UPS ) and ruining the print.

                > > /photos/album/867122385/pic/list
                > >
                > > Cheers Gang!
                > >
                > > Peter

              • Mike Polcyn
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 21, 2012
                  Peter,
                     It is great to see the success you are having. Can you comment on dimensional fidelity with a model this large? Do you have a way of scanning the printed model and comparing with the virtual version (e.g. Rapidform XOV) to show deviations? Again, congratulations... truly impressive results.
                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 22, 2012
                    Hi Mike,
                    The deviation is in the 0.1~0.15 over the 120mm I have used a caliper to measure key point on the model and in the XY it is less than the 0.05mm ( the accuracy of the calipers ),and in the Z axis it is in the order of 0.1~0.15 and I can compensate for it by scaling the model in one axis when it is in STL format before slicing. I have no way of scanning it in.

                    Peter

                    --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Mike Polcyn <lizardman2000@...> wrote:

                    > Peter,
                    >    It is great to see the success you are having. Can you comment on dimensional fidelity with a model this large? Do you have a way of scanning the printed model and comparing with the virtual version (e.g. Rapidform XOV) to show deviations? Again, congratulations... truly impressive results.
                    > Mike

                  • Jon Elson
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 22, 2012
                      pzamov wrote:
                      > Hi Mike,
                      > The deviation is in the 0.1~0.15 over the 120mm I have used a caliper to measure key point on the model and in the XY it is less than the 0.05mm ( the accuracy of the calipers ),and in the Z axis it is in the order of 0.1~0.15 and I can compensate for it by scaling the model in one axis when it is in STL format before slicing. I have no way of scanning it in.

                      Given the possible distortions in the optics and the shrinkage of the
                      resin, this
                      is a GREAT test result! .1mm accuracy is just awesome!

                      Jon
                    • Mike Polcyn
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 22, 2012
                        Peter...Very nice indeed!!! So you think the z tolerance is an issue of shrinkage? Is the z error uniform across the models XY space or is the model warping at all? In any event, very nice results.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 24, 2012
                          Exactly,

                          There is no way for me to predict what the shrinkage will be for a model this large, since it is the first time being printed.
                          I can compensate and get to maybe less than 0.05mm accuracy.
                          As I have been printing jewelry it is well within my needs of manufacture. The models I print are usually less than 35mm tall platform, so the accuracy is better than 0.025mm for a ~30mm~35mm platform in Z.
                          In XY it has always been rock solid.

                          Happy Holidays!

                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 24, 2012
                            Hi Jon, it is not a test ;-). It goes out for casting in brass.
                            The optics are great since they have not been modded ( much ).

                            Cheers!
                            Peter

                            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:

                            > pzamov wrote:
                            > > Hi Mike,
                            > > The deviation is in the 0.1~0.15 over the 120mm I have used a caliper to measure key point on the model and in the XY it is less than the 0.05mm ( the accuracy of the calipers ),and in the Z axis it is in the order of 0.1~0.15 and I can compensate for it by scaling the model in one axis when it is in STL format before slicing. I have no way of scanning it in.
                            > >
                            > Given the possible distortions in the optics and the shrinkage of the
                            > resin, this
                            > is a GREAT test result! .1mm accuracy is just awesome!
                            >
                            > Jon

                          • mr.thanduc
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 4, 2013
                              it's amazing, can you show me the name of dlp you use?
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 4, 2013
                                Hi mr.thanduc,

                                read the "Hardware" section on the http://3dlprint.com or http://3dlprint.blogspot.com

                                It is a Dell 5100MP.

                                Cheers!
                                Peter

                                --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "mr.thanduc" wrote:

                                > it's amazing, can you show me the name of dlp you use?

                              • Maxi Bertotto
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 5, 2013
                                  Peter! amazing Job! Congrats! One question: Wich program are you usign for support material generation? Its free?

                                  Regards!
                                  Maxi

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 8, 2013
                                    Hi Maxi,

                                    I have used Materialise Magics trial for one month, but it is just hell to place supports. I use my CAD software to place the supports ahead of time now.
                                    I use Netfabb basic for repairs of the STL.

                                    Cheers!

                                    Peter

                                    --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Maxi Bertotto wrote:

                                    > Peter! amazing Job! Congrats! One question: Wich program are you usign for support material generation? Its free?
                                    > Regards!Maxi

                                  • mr.thanduc
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 8, 2013
                                      You use original DLP or mod somethings ?
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 10, 2013
                                        Hi mr.thanduc

                                        I have as others in the group modded the focal distance of the projectors, so they can display @ say 100mm from the VAT..
                                        Cheers!

                                        Peter

                                        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "mr.thanduc" wrote:

                                        > You use original DLP or mod somethings ?

                                      • kurt landin
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jan 10, 2013
                                          http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Concepts-Close-Up-Specified-Description/dp/B001KW8DXI/ref=cm_lmf_tit_11

                                          I use these
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jan 11, 2013
                                            Hi Kurt,
                                            I started with that type of lens and later modified the projector throw optics with spacers to be used without any other correction.

                                            Cheers!
                                            Peter

                                            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, kurt landin wrote:

                                            > http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Concepts-Close-Up-Specified-Description/dp/B001KW8DXI/ref=cm_lmf_tit_11
                                            >

                                            > I use these

                                          • Francis Leach
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 11, 2013
                                              Pzamov

                                              I am using a projector from OBIS ( 1280 X 700 native  ) but in order to get the focussed image down to around 64mm wide I have to add approx 70mm of extension between the projector body and the lens. I have a need for small objects but with good surface finish (i.e  ready for paint ),

                                              Is that typical of your working solution.?

                                              May I outline my idea for a UV DLP solidprinter system. Feel free to comment. You experiences, encouragement or negativism would all be very much appreciated.

                                              The" as bought" projector light system ( £100 on ebay ) is very simply. It uses a white visible light, high pressure lamp and a concave reflector behind the lamp to project forward onto a Fresnel lens which ensures the liquid crystal module is illuminated with parallel light.  Having passed through the active LCD unit the light then passes through another Fresnel lens which focusses the image through the final projection lens.

                                              I intend to make a UV light source to replace the lamp. The UV source is initially to be 4 X 10W LED module shining into the edge of 5 thicknesses of acrylic panel stacked and mechanically clamped together. The acrylic panels were recovered from dis-assembling several defunct Laptop screens. A local laptop repairer was glad to give them away to me.  The 4 LED modules have to be mounted on an aluminium heat sink which is cooled by the existing electric fans. Each LED is powered from a constant 10V voltage and 1Amp current module powered via a 12Vdc external source ( Computer power module ). I have done no testing to verify that 4 LED will provide sufficient UV energy but the number could be doubled or quadrupled using the same principle. I am intent on as short an exposure time as possible for a rapid build per layer. I have it in mind to explore the ideas of using multiple exposures of the same layer with different grey scale images in order to smooth the final surface finish.

                                              The Laptop acrylic panel is manufactured such that the entire rear face of the flat area is patterned with thousands of pin pricks which penetrate the surface. Normally Acrylic exhibits the phenomena of total internal light refraction, that is the light which enters via a thin edge, is reflected back into it's volume and will not emerge from the face perpendicular to the point of entry, unless a surface imperfection allows the light to do so. The light emerges only from the penetrating surface features. In effect it is a light panel with many thousands of light sources to spread the light over the entire surface. The acrylic panels act as a backward  projecting light system using a a white plastic sheet as the rear reflector on the back face of the stack. The light is therefore projected forward back through the stacked acrylic panels onto the first Fresnel lens of the projectors system.  The edges of the stack is encased in white plastic reflector and a housed in aluminium sheath ( reformed lager can) to block any other light escape. The thin aluminium is annealed and flattened. It can be marked out and cut with sturdy shears. The sheath can be formed by scribing it with a ball point pen and folding to the lines.  The sheath is in the form of two slide together halves , matchbox style. The LED/heat sink is attached to one end and the second half of the sheath slides over the assembled acrylic panel.

                                              I am not up to speed with the Aduino microcontroller so I will probably use a MACH3 based motion control system as used on my home made router. The Z axis will use a ball screw driven by a toothed belt drive, geared appropriately from a stepper motor belt. I hope to be able to aceive a reliable 10 micron build thickness. A Vat tilt mechanism will be employed  I have gone for a UV cured system as I believe there is more potential to obtain lower resin costs in the long run.

                                              If I can get this small format system to work I will consider using a small size LCD display from a XGA Laptop screen as a solidprinter for larger items that do not require such a high quality finish.

                                              Please tell me where I am going wrong and why it is all such a crackpot idea.

                                              Regards

                                              Francis Leach

                                              --
                                              Regards