Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Modification needed for UV light

  • Fernando Muñiz
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 18, 2012
      Hello Luis,

      There's complete threads dedicated on UV mods in this group. I invite you to search for UV mods in DLP projectors.

      But in a nutshell, one can summarize that for a low cost printer design (no usage of UV hardened optics):
      1) it's not necessary with the current availability of visible light active resins
      2) it's a bad idea for run of the mill DLP projectors as it is likely to shorten the life of your projector significantly

      Cheers,
      Fernando

      On 12/18/2012 09:02 PM, luis h wrote:

      Can anyone knows what modification are needed on a dlp projector to get the maximum UV..

      Luis

    • luis h
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 20, 2012
        Fernando,
        The reason I wanted to get a dlp shows UV light is becasue there are hundreds of manufacturers. For visible light I only found few and their resin are very expensive. Could you please tell me what visible light have you used? what price and where I can get it?

        Luis

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 21, 2012
          Luis,
          The use of a visible light resin means you have to take precautions when handling it, storing it, a UV filtering cover for the printer, some form of a shutter/gate to limit the stray light and reflections from the DLP Projector. It does mean also you cannot use it in a regular office or room. That is the idea behind the UV/Near UV resins. I can turn on my incandescent light bulb, have the printer running without the Red plexi cover and it is near a window ( out of direct sunlight ). Oh, and the added expense of the resin, as you have found out.

          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "luis h" <luisguillermo98@...> wrote:

          > Fernando,
          > The reason I wanted to get a dlp shows UV light is becasue there are hundreds of manufacturers. For visible light I only found few and their resin are very expensive. Could you please tell me what visible light have you used? what price and where I can get it?
          >
          > Luis
          >
          > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Fernando Muñiz <spacecaptain@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Luis,
          > >
          > > There's complete threads dedicated on UV mods in this group. I invite
          > > you to search for UV mods in DLP projectors.
          > >
          > > But in a nutshell, one can summarize that for a low cost printer design
          > > (no usage of UV hardened optics):
          > > 1) it's not necessary with the current availability of visible light
          > > active resins
          > > 2) it's a bad idea for run of the mill DLP projectors as it is likely to
          > > shorten the life of your projector significantly
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > > Fernando
          > >
          > > On 12/18/2012 09:02 PM, luis h wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Can anyone knows what modification are needed on a dlp projector to
          > > > get the maximum UV..
          > > >
          > > > Luis

        • luis hernandez
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 21, 2012
            I am sorry, I am not clear yet. You said that UV resin will be much better compare with visible light. My problem with UV is that at some point it will degrade/damage  the DLP chip so this is the reason we want to go with a visible light.  Please correct if I am wrong?..

            Luis..

            The use of a visible light resin means you have to take precautions when handling it, storing it, a UV filtering cover for the printer, some form of a shutter/gate to limit the stray light and reflections from the DLP Projector. It does mean also you cannot use it in a regular office or room. That is the idea behind the UV/Near UV resins. I can turn on my incandescent light bulb, have the printer running without the Red plexi cover and it is near a window ( out of direct sunlight ). Oh, and the added expense of the resin, as you have found out.

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "luis h" <luisguillermo98@...> wrote:

            > Fernando,
            > The reason I wanted to get a dlp shows UV light is becasue there are hundreds of manufacturers. For visible light I only found few and their resin are very expensive. Could you please tell me what visible light have you used? what price and where I can get it?
            >
            > Luis
            >
            > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Fernando Muñiz <spacecaptain@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello Luis,
            > >
            > > There's complete threads dedicated on UV mods in this group. I invite
            > > you to search for UV mods in DLP projectors.
            > >
            > > But in a nutshell, one can summarize that for a low cost printer design
            > > (no usage of UV hardened optics):
            > > 1) it's not necessary with the current availability of visible light
            > > active resins
            > > 2) it's a bad idea for run of the mill DLP projectors as it is likely to
            > > shorten the life of your projector significantly
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > Fernando
            > >
            > > On 12/18/2012 09:02 PM, luis h wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Can anyone knows what modification are needed on a dlp projector to
            > > > get the maximum UV..
            > > >
            > > > Luis

          • Ben Mahony
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 21, 2012

              Correct, currently visible light activated resin is slightly more expensive and a little harder to handle and need visible tinters to control depth of cure but UV suitable projectors are a LOT more expensive.  The mems mirror array is the costly limiting factor as it degrades with UV exposure, as well as the other optics likely not being UV suitable.  If you want to use UV resin which also can be clear to visible light, which can look good, then the best diy method might be to use scanning UV laser instead of dlp.

              Hope that was clear, good luck.

              Benjamin Mahony Tecevo
              This email was sent from a phone.

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 22, 2012
                Hi Luis,
                Near UV is what we are working with in the DLP sector. The projector can last for years when there are no modifications to the internal optics and dichros. My projector has not been modified optically one bit. We use the stock projector as is ( modification of the minimal focal distance is the only mod we do so far) and use the side effect of the NearUV from 385 to low 400 (405-420) ( as little as it may be ) to cure the resin. There is no degradation of the MEMS device as it was manufactured to be used for a projector, we just use the "side effects" of the wavelengths generated.

                Cheers
                Peter

                --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Ben Mahony <ben.mahony@...> wrote:

                > Correct, currently visible light activated resin is slightly more expensive
                > and a little harder to handle and need visible tinters to control depth of
                > cure but UV suitable projectors are a LOT more expensive. The mems mirror
                > array is the costly limiting factor as it degrades with UV exposure, as
                > well as the other optics likely not being UV suitable. If you want to use
                > UV resin which also can be clear to visible light, which can look good,
                > then the best diy method might be to use scanning UV laser instead of dlp.
                >
                > Hope that was clear, good luck.
                >
                > Benjamin Mahony Tecevo
                > This email was sent from a phone.
                > On Dec 22, 2012 6:38 AM, "luis hernandez" <luisguillermo98@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > I am sorry, I am not clear yet. You said that UV resin will be much better
                > > compare with visible light. My problem with UV is that at some point it
                > > will degrade/damage the DLP chip so this is the reason we want to go with
                > > a visible light. Please correct if I am wrong?..
                > >
                > > Luis..

              • luis h
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 22, 2012
                  Peter, what projector are you using? how any second it takes for the resin to cure?.

                  Have any one hear the new XGA DLP chip that can handles UV light without degradation? It was made specially for this purpose to be use in industrial applications..

                  Luis

                  --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "pzamov" <pzamov@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Luis,
                  > Near UV is what we are working with in the DLP sector. The projector can last for years when there are no modifications to the internal optics and dichros. My projector has not been modified optically one bit. We use the stock projector as is ( modification of the minimal focal distance is the only mod we do so far) and use the side effect of the NearUV from 385 to low 400 (405-420) ( as little as it may be ) to cure the resin. There is no degradation of the MEMS device as it was manufactured to be used for a projector, we just use the "side effects" of the wavelengths generated.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Peter
                  >
                  > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Ben Mahony <ben.mahony@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Correct, currently visible light activated resin is slightly more expensive
                  > > and a little harder to handle and need visible tinters to control depth of
                  > > cure but UV suitable projectors are a LOT more expensive. The mems mirror
                  > > array is the costly limiting factor as it degrades with UV exposure, as
                  > > well as the other optics likely not being UV suitable. If you want to use
                  > > UV resin which also can be clear to visible light, which can look good,
                  > > then the best diy method might be to use scanning UV laser instead of dlp.
                  > >
                  > > Hope that was clear, good luck.
                  > >
                  > > Benjamin Mahony Tecevo
                  > > This email was sent from a phone.
                  > > On Dec 22, 2012 6:38 AM, "luis hernandez" <luisguillermo98@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > **
                  > > >

                  > > > I am sorry, I am not clear yet. You said that UV resin will be much better
                  > > > compare with visible light. My problem with UV is that at some point it
                  > > > will degrade/damage the DLP chip so this is the reason we want to go with
                  > > > a visible light. Please correct if I am wrong?..
                  > > >
                  > > > Luis..

                • luis hernandez
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 22, 2012
                    Peter,
                    When you said on email below:

                    "I can turn on my incandescent light bulb, have the printer running without the Red plexi cover and it is near a window"

                    What do you mean? what kind of projection system you have that use a uv light?

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 24, 2012
                      Hi Luis,

                      http://3dlprint.com or
                      http://3dlprint.blogspot.com

                      It is all there.
                      No UV, just a stock Dell 5100MP projector ( with the close focus mod ). The cover is to minimize the UV from outside irradiating the resin and the light from the projector from messing with my eyes.

                      Peter

                      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, luis hernandez <luisguillermo98@...> wrote:

                      > Peter,
                      > When you said on email below:
                      >
                      > "I can turn on my incandescent light bulb, have the printer running without the Red plexi cover and it is near a window"
                      >
                      > What do you mean? what kind of projection system you have that use a uv light?
                      >
                      > Luis

                    • wi1d_ey3d_jok3r
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 9, 2013
                        Cure time will depend entirely on the intensity of your projector and on the critical exposure of the photopolymer resin. These values vary significantly depending on the retailer of each. For the projectors and resins I have seen, it usually takes up to 10 or 15 seconds per layer. Keep in mind, that is for the most basic resins. There are other UV photopolymer resins that are 20+ times harder to cure, and could easily take 20+ times longer to cure. These resins often have special properties like transparency or flexibility.

                        Concerning the UV XGA Chips: There's a company in Texas called Digital Light Innovations that is an authorized vendor of TI Discovery Kits. These kits are prohibitively expensive, unless you're working on a funded research project: The 0.7" XGA UV Bundle Discovery Kit sells for over $11,000. I do not know the price range for the visible light XGA kit. The 0.95" 1080P UV Discovery kit sells for over $15,000. The visible light version of this kit sells for over $12,000. These prices are from quotes provided to me by Digital Light Innovations.

                        You might be able to find the chip alone for much cheaper, but then you'll need to do all the electronic board development and programming yourself...