Re: water clear resin

  • bobgarrish
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2012
      The Objet printers have an advantage in this because they only spray out resin which is to be cured (ie: part of the part) into the area their lights can hit. In the case of DLP or SLA, there's a whole lot of 'bystander' resin in the line of fire.

      Not sure about the other company's tech, but what I can say is that we'd need a transparent UV blocker to make it work with projectors. I'm pretty sure such things exist, since you can get UV-blocking acrylic which is still clear, but I don't know what they're called nor how to acquire them.

      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "matthewof1989" <mharri6@...> wrote:

      > here are two examples of what I would like to achieve.
      >
      > http://objet.com/3d-printing-materials/transparent
      >
      > http://www.dsm.com/en_US/somos/public/home/pages/offerings-somos-water-clear.jsp
      >

      > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "matthewof1989" <mharri6@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello Group!
      > >
      > > My name is Matthew and this is my first post.
      > >
      > > I want to use a dlp 3dp with water clear resin but I hear that it is difficult to control the way that the light is projected into the the resin bath. Does anyone know any detail about this?
      > >
      > > Also, since dying the resin is recommend, I was wonder if there is a dye that changes to clear once it has been exposed to uv light for an extended amount of time.
      > >
      > > Any information is helpful
      > >
      > > Thank You!

    • Fernando Muñiz
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 25, 2012
        There are indeed ways to produce clear(ish) resins that would work with visible light printers, but the artefacts that arise when trying to print layer after layer, without the usage of a depth control pigment or dye are the big issue here. You need to be incredibly accurate with timed exposures to achieve the desired cure depth. And even so, you may end up with artifects such as Z-axis stretching, stalagmites... We have been using transparent dyes, of which the orange, red and black are the most efficient depth control colorants, but that is not water clear as in the examples that Matthew has linked to. This is a limitation of using mostly visible light as an activating source: you need visible colorants or pigments to absorb that same light.

        Theoretically, the easiest way to achieve high resolution, water clear prints is to use a UV activated resin with some well known UV filters to control cure depth. But then the DLP printers would have to be modified to work with UV sources and that is a different problem all by itself.

        Cheers,
        Fernando