RE: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: patents? You haven't seen anything yet...

  • Lino
    Message 1 of 41 , Nov 24, 2012

      wow

      From: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com [mailto:diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Kevin Impson
      Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:41 PM
      To: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: patents? You haven't seen anything yet...

      Hi,

      If that was the case ever software company in the world that use's Microsoft's .NET platform for making their software could sue every other company that use's the .NET platform because you would be infringing on each others internal code in the software.

      I have lived and make money with my patent attorney, if you don't want to listen don't. Go play attorney and get your butt handed to you.

      I built machine's that according to you Bertho infringe on Zcorp and just about every other machine out there... I haven't seen one lawsuit, I have two patents with a third coming. So, I think the money talks and the rest walks.

      I've tried to get this point across and hopefully people think about facts.

      I won't post again about this subject, amateurs.

      Kevin I.

      From:  Mike Polcyn   Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:43

      I am not an attorney but I do understand a bit about U.S. patent law as an inventor and as one who has had to defend against infringement claims. The bottom line is that  "Claim Language" is binary; you infringe or you don't infringe particular claims. You make direct comparison of the claim language with the alleged infringing elements and demonstrate that it does or does not infringe. The patent you download only tell part of the story however, and there is a file wrapper in the patent office for each patent, and that carries the back and forth with the patent examiner over the meaning of claims, clarifications, etc...  and may in fact may narrow the interpretation of a claim significantly. This can be done by limiting field of use for instance or arguing why your claim does not mean the same thing as some previous patent claim. Percentages are irrelevant, and I would steer clear of any lawyer giving that advice.

      Message 41 of 41 , Nov 25, 2012
        Kenneth Lerman wrote:

        > One thing I noticed in the complaint was a section saying that there
        > was no non-infringing use of the allegedly infringing device. Since
        > the patent under discussion seems to relate to exposure for supports,
        > it is clear that making objects that don't require support would be a
        > non-infringing use.
        The specific patent they refer to by number deals with some kind of
        partial hardening
        of the resin to support overhangs. I'm not sure if that partially
        hardened stuff is later
        dissolved, scraped away, or hardens completely later. But, it seems to
        deal with
        a very specific concept that I doubt formlabs is using. So, at least to
        my reading,
        it is not dealing with ordinary support structures, but something more
        specialized
        to support overhangs WITHOUT dedicated support structure from the bottom
        up. This directing the court to a SPECIFIC patent, while only mentioning
        that there are others, might be enough to scotch the whole suit. (I
        hope so,
        but I'm NOT a lawyer.)