Re: Interest in a Open Source Printer Kit?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 47 , Aug 7, 2009
      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "raiorz" <raiorz@...> wrote:

      > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Henry Liu <henryjliu@> wrote:
      > >
      > > HP heads are made to be disposable after they run out of ink. They
      > > just want to sell you their ink and that has always been their
      > > business model. Any attempt to bypass their ink system will surely
      > > give you legal problems and no development assistance.
      > >
      > No, not all. Take a look at the HP heads i use in my last 3DP setup.
      > I say it again: It is exact the same type of ink heads like z-corp use.
      > Why they use those heads? There are all the same head for each color and those heads made for mass prints and have always a bypass system build in (the pipes go to a hole in the head mount plate). You can add bigger canisters (like z-corp do it). And those ink heads are realy cheap (google for HP11 and you find it started from 11.99USD).

      I think I'm repeating myself, a similar discussion is going on over at the Inkjet PCB Printing group.

      I had a couple of 36 inch Encad printers, both use HP heads. All four heads are types that would be used in a desktop HP for black. They used what appears to be the '33 or '29 head, adapted to CIS by just adding a fitting on the top. Both required massive improvements in the ink feed system, which I think I've solved. The HP desktop inkjet black inks are pigmented. Both Encads could use dye -or- pigmented in all four colors.

      I have an HP DesignJet 3000CP, which is a 54 inch wide print with an auto refilling system rather than a CIS. But all four heads look like the HP '45 with a refilling fitting attached, and can use dye -or- pigmented inks.

      There are several companies selling dye sublimation inks (carried in the inks as pigment particles) for thermal heads.

      So don't count HP heads out. An advantage to them over Epson heads is the low cost and ease of replacement of an HP head vs an Epson head. And you can easily take out an HP head to clean it.

      If you are designing the whole thing from scratch, just using the heads, why not make it as many print heads as you need? Four colors, CMYK, plus a clear binder for white? It is pretty simple to drill a hole into an HP print head, people do it all the time to refill them. Just tap the hole and install a plastic barb fitting and hose.

      Thoughts on CIS including why the old bottle and hose system doesn't work well:
      <http://www.polyphoto.com/tutorials/bulkinksystem/ExtensiveThoughtsOnCIS.html>

      My system full to empty:
      <http://www.polyphoto.com/tutorials/bulkinksystem/HydraulicConstantPressureExample02Web.jpg>

      What one version of my tanks look like:
      <http://www.polyphoto.com/tutorials/bulkinksystem/1280/WhiteTanks3QuarterView4096w.jpg>

      If I had continued making them, they were going to be made of clear bodies or cast from clear.

      Steve Greenfield
    • Felice Masi
      Message 47 of 47 , Aug 12, 2009
        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "raiorz" <raiorz@...> wrote:
        > You got a email...
        >
        > Rai

        Hep, got it. I uploaded (I thought it to be much bigger ... it was a matter of a couple of minutes).

        I haven't protected the folder already, should I?
        The rar (rar is much slower to brute force) has this password: diy_3dp&f
        And for me should be enough.

        Tell me if you want me to close the folder and what to use for user-pass. I can do that this evening.

        Danke seher.

        Felix