Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] a new 3d printer

  • Francis Leach
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2012
    Hi 3D pioneers.

    This that follows, is purely a mind game :-

    How about using a blue laser module ( Ex blue ray CD disk writer ) being used to fuse finely ground Glucose in a matrix of cornflour? The laser would be mounted on X-Y plotter rig and the printing platen would  descend on a Z motion carriage as the solid structure developed. Powder would be spread on the printing area with a Archimedes screw through a perforated trough and levelled with a linear actuated strickler blade.attached to the X gantry.

    Any bad solid prints could be eaten  ;0)

    I do believe the mechanism within a  blue ray disc writer would liberate a very accurate laser powered resin printer head, but I would find it technically beyond me to interface it to any other equipment. I am sure you smart guys could do something.
    the solid parts would be small but the resolution could be awesome. It would by intended for very small items.  I have a particular interest in  precision parts as my business involves lots of expensive solid printing by others and vacuum investment casting.

    On 13 November 2012 02:27, Graham <grezmos@...> wrote:

    I don't think we will make a DIY version in a hurry :)

    On 12 Nov 2012, at 21:31, "afogassa" <afogassa@...> wrote:

    --
    Regards

    Francis Leach

  • Mike Polcyn
    Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2012
      Back in the old days (2007)....

      http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2007/solid-freeform-fabrication-diy-on-the-cheap-and-made-of-pure-sugar/

      Message 3 of 7 , Nov 13, 2012
        That was one of the first DIY low cost 3D printers. I remember reading the slicing with POV-Ray document.

        Peter

        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Mike Polcyn <lizardman2000@...> wrote:

        > Back in the old days (2007)....
        >
        > http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2007/solid-freeform-fabrication-diy-on-the-cheap-and-made-of-pure-sugar/

      • Francis Leach
        Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2012
          Mike

          Thanks for the link. Very interesting. seems like my suggestion may not be a silly as I first thought.
          A modulate Blue ray laser would by a fine instruments and much more precise than a hot air gun.
          Media costs would be very low.

          Just think of the caramalised sweet smell while your solidprinting ;0)