Bls: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: what kind of stepper motor driver board!

  • wayne48102
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 1, 2012
      I have the A4988 and Arduino 2560 two boards, but do not know how to connect them

      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Fortino <jolly_craft@...> wrote:

      > http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-A4988-G3D-Driver-for-RepRap-and-various-3D-printer-Pololu-StepStick-A4988-/181009015427?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a24fa6283
      > This is the item that you are looking for.
      >

      > Fortino
      >
      > Sent from my iPad
      >
      > On 30 Okt 2012, at 02:43, "pzamov" <pzamov@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi Wayne,
      > > The A4988 are Allegro chipped stepper drivers also sold as Pololu or Stepstick. Very easy to drive via parallel and Arduino. It does need heat sinking if you will be using it for large steppers. I'm quite happy with my tests on them. They are not expensive and they also have a version with voltage regulators.
      > >
      > > Peter
      > >
      > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "wayne48102" <wayne48102@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I've checked ebay but found nothing, can you give an ebay link?

    • Fortino Tan
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 1, 2012
        I see, here is what I have:
        Arduino 2560 connects to Ramps 1.4 board, then the A4988 Pololu connects to Ramps 1.4 board.
        A4988 do not connect to Arduino board.
        here is the complete set that I bought from ebay:

        The bottom board is the Arduino 2560,
        Middle board is Ramps 1.4
        You can see the A4988 polulu sticks on top of Ramps 1.4 board.

        Hope it helps

        Fortino

        Dari: wayne48102 <wayne48102@...>
        Kepada: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
        Dikirim: Kamis, 1 November 2012 18:21
        Judul: Bls: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: what kind of stepper motor driver board!

        I have the A4988 and Arduino 2560 two boards, but do not know how to connect them

        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Fortino <jolly_craft@...> wrote:

        > http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-A4988-G3D-Driver-for-RepRap-and-various-3D-printer-Pololu-StepStick-A4988-/181009015427?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a24fa6283
        > This is the item that you are looking for.
        >

        > Fortino
        >
        > Sent from my iPad
        >
        > On 30 Okt 2012, at 02:43, "pzamov" <pzamov@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Wayne,
        > > The A4988 are Allegro chipped stepper drivers also sold as Pololu or Stepstick. Very easy to drive via parallel and Arduino. It does need heat sinking if you will be using it for large steppers. I'm quite happy with my tests on them. They are not expensive and they also have a version with voltage regulators.
        > >
        > > Peter
        > >
        > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "wayne48102" <wayne48102@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I've checked ebay but found nothing, can you give an ebay link?

      • wayne48102
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 1, 2012
          I have Ramps1.2+Arduino2560+A4988, this match is okay?

        • Fortino Tan
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 1, 2012

            Absolutely no problem at all. It fits like a glove.
            Have you checked the WIKI links?

            Fortino

            Dari: wayne48102 <wayne48102@...>
            Kepada: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
            Dikirim: Kamis, 1 November 2012 21:44
            Judul: Bls: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: what kind of stepper motor driver board!

            I have Ramps1.2+Arduino2560+A4988, this match is okay?

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Fortino Tan <jolly_craft@...> wrote:

            > I see, here is what I have:
            > connects to Ramps 1.4 board, then the Pololu connects to Ramps 1.4 board.
            > A4988 do not connect to Arduino board.
            > here is the complete set that I bought from ebay:
            > http://www.ebay.com/itm/170905480381?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648
            >

            > The bottom board is the Arduino 2560,
            > Middle board is Ramps 1.4
            > You can see the A4988 polulu sticks on top of Ramps 1.4 board.
            >
            > Hope it helps
            >
            > Fortino
            >

            > ________________________________
            > Dari: wayne48102 <wayne48102@...>
            > Kepada: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
            > Dikirim: Kamis, 1 November 2012 18:21
            > Judul: Bls: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: what kind of stepper motor driver board!
            >

            > I have the A4988 and Arduino 2560 two boards, but do not know how to connect them
            >
            > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Fortino <jolly_craft@> wrote:
            > >
            > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-A4988-G3D-Driver-for-RepRap-and-various-3D-printer-Pololu-StepStick-A4988-/181009015427?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a24fa6283
            > > This is the item that you are looking for.
            > >

            > > Fortino
            > >
            > > Sent from my iPad
            > >
            > > On 30 Okt 2012, at 02:43, "pzamov" <pzamov@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hi Wayne,
            > > > The A4988 are Allegro chipped stepper drivers also sold as Pololu or Stepstick. Very easy to drive via parallel and Arduino. It does need heat sinking if you will be using it for large steppers. I'm quite happy with my tests on them. They are not expensive and they also have a version with voltage regulators.
            > > >
            > > > Peter

          • wayne48102
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 1, 2012
              I have Ramps1.2+Arduino2560+A4988, this match is okay? my software is CS1_Host_v0.3.4
              https://chemshapes.googlecode.com/files/CS1_Host_v0.3.4.zip

              What is your software?

            • Fortino Tan
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 1, 2012
                Wayne,

                Now, I am confused. Are you asking for stepper driver? or you already have the stepper driver on your Ramps 1.2 board but you just do not know how to connect it with your stepper motor?
                I think we need to isolate the problem first, is it software related, firmware related or electronic related?

                Fortino

                Dari: wayne48102 <wayne48102@...>
                Kepada: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
                Dikirim: Kamis, 1 November 2012 21:53
                Judul: Bls: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: what kind of stepper motor driver board!

                I have Ramps1.2+Arduino2560+A4988, this match is okay? my software is CS1_Host_v0.3.4
                https://chemshapes.googlecode.com/files/CS1_Host_v0.3.4.zip

                What is your software?

                --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Fortino Tan <jolly_craft@...> wrote:

                > I see, here is what I have:
                > Arduino 2560 connects to Ramps 1.4 board, then the A4988 Pololu connects to Ramps 1.4 board.
                > A4988 do not connect to Arduino board.
                > here is the complete set that I bought from ebay:
                > http://www.ebay.com/itm/170905480381?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648
                >

                > The bottom board is the Arduino 2560,
                > Middle board is Ramps 1.4
                > You can see the A4988 polulu sticks on top of Ramps 1.4 board.
                >
                > Hope it helps
                >
                > Fortino
                >

                > ________________________________
                > Dari: wayne48102 <wayne48102@...>
                > Kepada: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
                > Dikirim: Kamis, 1 November 2012 18:21
                > Judul: Bls: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: what kind of stepper motor driver board!
                >

                > I have the A4988 and Arduino 2560 two boards, but do not know how to connect them
                >
                > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Fortino <jolly_craft@> wrote:
                > >
                > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-A4988-G3D-Driver-for-RepRap-and-various-3D-printer-Pololu-StepStick-A4988-/181009015427?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a24fa6283
                > > This is the item that you are looking for.
                > >

                > > Fortino
                > >
                > > Sent from my iPad
                > >
                > > On 30 Okt 2012, at 02:43, "pzamov" <pzamov@> wrote:
                > >
                > > > Hi Wayne,
                > > > The A4988 are Allegro chipped stepper drivers also sold as Pololu or Stepstick. Very easy to drive via parallel and Arduino. It does need heat sinking if you will be using it for large steppers. I'm quite happy with my tests on them. They are not expensive and they also have a version with voltage regulators.
                > > >
                > > > Peter

              • wayne48102
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 1, 2012
                  Yesterday, I really do not know how to connect, but today I have to buy the Ramps board, but I still can not drive my stepper motor, so I do not know where is the problem?Not your software is not the same with me?Or other issues

                • Fortino Tan
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 1, 2012

                    Wayne,

                    If you already have your electronics, now it is time to upload your firmware from CS1 to your arduino.  Once you upload your firmware, then you can control your arduino ( stepper motor, heater, etc).
                    If you do not know how to upload, try to google it. Good chance, there is some procedure that you can follow on how to do it.

                    Good luck

                    Fortino

                    Dari: wayne48102 <wayne48102@...>
                    Kepada: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
                    Dikirim: Kamis, 1 November 2012 22:33
                    Judul: Bls: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: what kind of stepper motor driver board!

                    Yesterday, I really do not know how to connect, but today I have to buy the Ramps board, but I still can not drive my stepper motor, so I do not know where is the problem?Not your software is not the same with me?Or other issues

                    --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Fortino Tan <jolly_craft@...> wrote:

                    > Wayne,
                    >
                    > Now, I am confused. Are you asking for stepper driver? or you already have the stepper driver on your Ramps 1.2 board but you just do not know how to connect it with your stepper motor?
                    > I think we need to isolate the problem first, is it software related, firmware related or electronic related?
                    >
                    > Fortino
                    >

                    > ________________________________
                    > Dari: wayne48102 <wayne48102@...>
                    > Kepada: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
                    > Dikirim: Kamis, 1 November 2012 21:53
                    > Judul: Bls: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: what kind of stepper motor driver board!
                    >

                    > I have Ramps1.2+Arduino2560+A4988, this match is okay? my software is CS1_Host_v0.3.4
                    > https://chemshapes.googlecode.com/files/CS1_Host_v0.3.4.zip
                    >
                    > What is your software?
                    >
                    > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Fortino Tan <jolly_craft@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I see, here is what I have:
                    > > Arduino 2560 connects to Ramps 1.4 board, then the A4988 Pololu connects to Ramps 1.4 board.
                    > > A4988 do not connect to Arduino board.
                    > > here is the complete set that I bought from ebay:
                    > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/170905480381?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648
                    > >

                    > > The bottom board is the Arduino 2560,
                    > > Middle board is Ramps 1.4
                    > > You can see the A4988 polulu sticks on top of Ramps 1.4 board.
                    > >
                    > > Hope it helps
                    > >
                    > > Fortino
                    > >

                    > > ________________________________
                    > > Dari: wayne48102 <wayne48102@>
                    > > Kepada: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
                    > > Dikirim: Kamis, 1 November 2012 18:21
                    > > Judul: Bls: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: what kind of stepper motor driver board!
                    > >

                    > > I have the A4988 and Arduino 2560 two boards, but do not know how to connect them
                    > >
                    > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Fortino <jolly_craft@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-A4988-G3D-Driver-for-RepRap-and-various-3D-printer-Pololu-StepStick-A4988-/181009015427?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a24fa6283
                    > > > This is the item that you are looking for.
                    > > >

                    > > > Fortino
                    > > >
                    > > > Sent from my iPad

                  • wayne48102
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 1, 2012
                      Fortino

                      thanks for your help!!

                      I've updated firware with CS1_Host v3.4 , the software can be connected to the Arduino 2560.Is not Ramps1.2 necessarily need the power of 12V and 5A¡£I suspect the problem lies in the power supply.

                    • Fortino Tan
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 1, 2012
                        Wayne,

                        You got that right. Arduino can be powered from USB cable, but to power your stepper, you need at least 12 V/ 5A power supply.

                        Glad to help!

                        Fortino

                        Dari: wayne48102 <wayne48102@...>
                        Kepada: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
                        Dikirim: Kamis, 1 November 2012 22:55
> [...]

                        > > > A4988 do not connect to Arduino board.
                        > > > here is the complete set that I bought from ebay:ÂÂÂ&#65533;
                        > > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/170905480381?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648
                        > > >

                        > > > The bottom board is the Arduino 2560,ÂÂÂ&#65533;
                        > > > Middle board is Ramps 1.4
                        > > > You can see the A4988 polulu sticks on top of Ramps 1.4 board.
                        > > >
                        > > > Hope it helps
                        > > >
                        > > > Fortino
                        > > >

                        > > > ________________________________
                        > > > Dari: wayne48102 <wayne48102@>
                        > > > Kepada: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
                        > > > Dikirim: Kamis, 1 November 2012 18:21
                        > > > Judul: Bls: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: what kind of stepper motor driver board!
                        > > >

                        > > > ÂÂÂ&#65533;
                        > > > I have the A4988 and Arduino 2560 two boards, but do not know how to connect them

                      • wayne48102
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 2, 2012
                          Fortino

                          Today I have bought a 12V/5A power supply, stepper motor still does not work, probably my stepper motor is connected wrong.
                          Can you give me some help?Told me positive solutions connection methods

                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 2, 2012
                            Doesn't the driver come with some instructions?

                            If it is a motor with 4 wires they you need to make sure you have them paired up correctly, use a meter set to resistance to check.

                            Graham

                            On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM, wayne48102 <wayne48102@...> wrote:

                            Fortino

                            Today I have bought a 12V/5A power supply, stepper motor still does not work, probably my stepper motor is connected wrong.
                            Can you give me some help?Told me positive solutions connection methods

                          • vpr2064
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 2, 2012
                              Hello all,
                              Im a new member to the group and am also looking for a DIY or "cheaper" control for a 3d printer. several years ago I built a 7th Sojourn cnc router and I still have the schematics and plans for it, the base is bigger than most printer projects I've looked at and i don't think its being sold anymore. It's a 3 axis control with home switches and isnt very complicated. Anyone know if the control could be modified and used for a 3d printer or an electronics wizard willing to look at it? I thought of keeping it simple and using a separate temp control for the nozzle but I assume I would have to have a 4th axis added to the control.

                              --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Ashton Picas <campeck@...> wrote:

                              > Use this schematic as a guide and read the datasheet to make sure
                              > everything is within spec.
                              > http://b.pololu-files.com/picture/0J3359.600.png?8b8cc10fbc0c0f43662fc16e09cc7a2f
                              >
                              > Datasheet:
                              > http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/338780/ALLEGRO/A4988.html
                              >
                              > On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 6:19 AM, wayne48102 <wayne48102@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > Thank you for your reply£¡£¡
                              > > I can not buy any one of the two boards in China.I can buy the A4988
                              > > Stepper Motor Driver , but I do not know how to use it
                              > >
                              > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "arthur2shedsj"
                              > > <arthur2shedsj@> wrote:
                              > > >

                              > > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "wayne48102"

                              > > whether the need to modify the software?Can you draw me a connection
                              > > experience, ask where you can buy the whole solution
                              > > >
                              > > > I avoid anything Arudino but here's the schematic for your motor shield:
                              > > >
                              > > > http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/arduino_MotorShield_Rev3-schematic.pdf
                              > > >
                              > > > The data sheet for the L298 has an application schematic for the
                              > > Multiwatt15 package pinout on page #8 for driving a stepper. Your motor
                              > > shield uses the PowerSO20 package so the pinout is different.
                              > > >

                              > > http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICAL_RESOURCES/TECHNICAL_LITERATURE/DATASHEET/CD00000240.pdf
                              > > >
                              > > > Maybe you could try one of these boards instead:
                              > > >
                              > > > http://smoothieware.org/smoothieboard
                              > > >
                              > > > https://0xfb.com/shop.html

                            • wayne48102
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 11, 2012
                                I burned my Arduino MEGA 2560 board, and then I re-bought one, but now can not connect with my software CS1_Host v0.3.4, who can help me?
                                Is not software only supports the special Arduino MEGA 2560 board?