Re: Phantom Geometry: Large networked objects and realtime manipulation.

  • m3dp_vt
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2012
      This is amazing!

      I am attempting to build a 3D printer using a DLP projector with UV light, on a much smaller (micro) scale. I was wondering if you had a list of your components (projector, uv light source, etc.)

      Thanks

      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "surfer15a" <kyle.wvh@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > The robot/software interface:
      > The robot carrying the DLP/Resin is continually sending it's updated position to a Maya file with a virtual robot, who's position is therefore continually updated to match. The virtual maya robot has a virtual camera, focused on the plane of the virtual vat bottom (where the light from the projector hits in the physical world). Therefore, anything the virtual robot 'sees' is transmitted directly into the physical world. Any 3D geometry in the virtual maya lab is therefore 'sliced' and sent to the projector in realtime. In this way, the physical robot always 'knows where it is' in space and 'knows what to print'. You can modify this geometry as you go. Also, this allows a second robot to come in and meet exactly in the same space in the lab, and continue working.
      >
      > The workflow:
      > The main idea here is that you can build a large, networked object by moving around the shallow soft-silicone vat within the intersecting workspheres of the robots. You can start in one place and allow the object to bifurcate, and then merge with other neighboring stalactites. The second important idea is that the light being transmitted to the DLP is accessible in real-time. We can (and did) modify the geometry as we printed. We could modify the 3D geometry in Maya in order to respond to geometric conditions that evolved as we worked (structural concerns, amount of resin left, aesthetics). Also we could and modify the 2D image of the sliced 3D geometry in Touch Deisgner right before we sent it to the projector--this is pretty neat--it allowed us to control layer thickness on the fly, and add perforations. However, any image manipulation that you can preform would have physical consequences. Very cool possibilities for scripting geometry here.
      >
      > Software:
      > We used esperant.0 robotics software developed by Kruysman-Proto. And cobbled together some python scripts to get everything going.
      >
      > Sorry for the huge post!
      > I'll try to answer any questions. And, thanks again!!

    • luis h
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2013
        Hi Kyle,

        I just saw your post from last year. Amazing job like everybody has mentioned here. I just finish my 3d slicer fully loaded with material support and other features and now and focusing in the first prototype. I want to be able to put my printers machine on the market next year. I would like to know if you use a pdms vat because I can see any blinking of the projector (continues printing) and also what is the Ron light ink you are referring to?

        Nice job,

        Thank you,

        Luis

> [...]
        >
        > Software:
        > We used esperant.0 robotics software developed by Kruysman-Proto. And cobbled together some python scripts to get everything going.
        >
        > Sorry for the huge post!
        > I'll try to answer any questions. And, thanks again!!

      • Light77
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2013
          This is the resin Kyle was referring to http://buy3dink.com/p/59/uv-resin (Mixed and sold in the US)
          Fernando formulated this to be extra thin for use in top down printers like this one http://sedgwick3d.com/
          -Ron

          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "surfer15a" wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > Software:
          > We used esperant.0 robotics software developed by Kruysman-Proto. And cobbled together some python scripts to get everything going.
          >
          > Sorry for the huge post!
          > I'll try to answer any questions. And, thanks again!!

        • Fernando Muñiz
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2013
            Yes I recall working with Kyle on that project, enjoyed it a lot and also very inspiring and quite different set of requirements from the typical printer.
            I love the media and videos they did on that project!

            On 03/02/2013 03:46 PM, Light77 wrote:

> [...]

            > Software:
            > We used esperant.0 robotics software developed by Kruysman-Proto. And cobbled together some python scripts to get everything going.
            >
            > Sorry for the huge post!
            > I'll try to answer any questions. And, thanks again!!

          • surfer15a
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 6, 2013
              Hi Luis,

              Fernando makes excellent resins and is an excellent source of info during the development of a resin/project. He licenses his formulas to Ron (both Ron and Fernando replied above) in the US. I highly recommend working with one/both of them. They're products are fast curing and have almost no odor, which is a big improvement over many competitors. Regarding the PDMS-yes the bottom of the vat is a flexible 4mm thick sheet of PDMS. The image/layer is cured, then the machine jogs down and back up to cure the next layer, allowing the flexible PDMS to peel off. This is shown (not very clearly) in a few shots. But for the time lapse video sequences, we carefully edited out the down/up jogging because we thought it looked nicer and less jerky.
              So, it's not continuous printing--does that answer your question?
              The blinking you see occurs during the up/down jogging layer changing event because the printer is hooked up in real time and is cycling through layers as it moves. We could have told the projector not to display during that layer-changing event, but we liked the pretty blinking images ;)
              I really would have liked to have tried one of these super-hydrophobic chemicals that are coming to market, they seem to be the best hope for true continuous printing in my opinion, but I'm far from an expert.
              good luck with your project.
              kyle