just to let you guys know

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
      3d systems sued envisintec for this
      http://www.patents.com/us-5630981.html
      looks like the use of photo polymere is patent too.
    • Boman33
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012

        That is strange,

        5,630,981 was issued on 20-May-1997

        But expired at the same time as the related

        4,929,402 was issued on 29-May-1990

        which has expired by now.

        Bertho

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012

          Guess that is why envisintec pretend or perhaps really do not expose a layer at a time but project the image in a progressive scan (not laser scanning) to build up the complete layer.  They have some press video explaining how it's makes cells, kinda like 4d tetris instead of layers even though the projector could just as easily (and more quickly) expose the complete layer.

          Benjamin Mahony
          Tecevo
          This email was sent from a phone.

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
            Hi Ben,

            HA HAHA! Do you believe the press photos and movies?
            You want to see how it really is done?
            Have you seen my blog? - that is how it is done.
            There is no "Voxel cure". There is layer cure with a general equalizing mask for the hotspots calibration.
            The quick double exposure is a ploy to circumvent the 3DS patent.

            Peter

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Ben Mahony <ben.mahony@...> wrote:

            > Guess that is why envisintec pretend or perhaps really do not expose a
            > layer at a time but project the image in a progressive scan (not laser
            > scanning) to build up the complete layer. They have some press video
            > explaining how it's makes cells, kinda like 4d tetris instead of layers
            > even though the projector could just as easily (and more quickly) expose
            > the complete layer.
            >
            > Benjamin Mahony
            > Tecevo
            > This email was sent from a phone.

          • Jon Elson
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
              afogassa wrote:
              > 3d systems sued envisintec for this
              > http://www.patents.com/us-5630981.html
              > looks like the use of photo polymere is patent too.

              This appears to apply ONLY to a method using TWO beams, which cure
              the resin at the intersection of the two beams, only. So, I think it has no
              bearing on the methods we are working on. See paragraph 3 of "Background
              of the Invention".

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 24, 2012
                The patent does not seem to concern multi beam methods, I think they are trying to show the relevance in the background section by explaining the shortcomings of the multi beam methods.

                Graham

                On Wednesday, October 24, 2012, Jon Elson wrote:

                afogassa wrote:
                > 3d systems sued envisintec for this
                > http://www.patents.com/us-5630981.html
                > looks like the use of photo polymere is patent too.

                This appears to apply ONLY to a method using TWO beams, which cure
                the resin at the intersection of the two beams, only. So, I think it has no
                bearing on the methods we are working on. See paragraph 3 of "Background
                of the Invention".

                Jon

              • Jon Elson
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 24, 2012
                  Graham Stabler wrote:

                  > The patent does not seem to concern multi beam methods, I think they
                  > are trying to show the relevance in the background section by
                  > explaining the shortcomings of the multi beam methods.

                  OK, well, darn, that is closer to home, then. But, this is another
                  patent that will expire
                  QUITE soon, if it hasn't already lapsed.