Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] $35 DIY Spectrometer

  • Spacecaptain
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 14, 2012
      Awweesooommeee :)

      On 09/14/2012 08:26 PM, Brian A. Stott wrote:

      Say,

      Oil spills bring fruit too. See the article and the link to a DIY Spectrometer with Open Source Analysis Software. Would it work for projector/light source evaluations? Bet it could.

      They have a KickStarter for the kit and features.

      It currently covers the spectrum of "400-900 nanometers, and a resolution of as high as 3 nm." They are offering a Android attachment along with the $35 kit for $65.

      http://www.techthefuture.com/technology/35-diy-spectrometer-gets-its-own-collaborative-database/

      http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jywarren/public-lab-diy-spectrometry-kit?ref=NewsSep0612&utm_campaign=Sep06&utm

      Disclaimer: Only wish I could be affiliated. I just got this information in an e-mail mag.

    • Jon Elson
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 14, 2012
        Brian A. Stott wrote:

        > Say,
        >
        > Oil spills bring fruit too. See the article and the link to a DIY
        > Spectrometer with Open Source Analysis Software. Would it work for
        > projector/light source evaluations? Bet it could.
        >
        > They have a KickStarter for the kit and features.
        >
        > It currently covers the spectrum of "400-900 nanometers, and a
        > resolution of as high as 3 nm." They are offering a Android attachment
        > along with the $35 kit for $65.
        >
        > http://www.techthefuture.com/technology/35-diy-spectrometer-gets-its-own-collaborative-database/
        >
        > http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jywarren/public-lab-diy-spectrometry-kit?ref=NewsSep0612&utm_campaign=Sep06&utm
        >
        > Disclaimer: Only wish I could be affiliated. I just got this
        > information in an e-mail mag.

        Computer scanners have a linear photodiode array sensor with several
        thousand elements.
        You can put a small diffraction grating and a slit in front of one of
        these sensors and
        make a spectrometer out of mostly scrap parts. You can adjust the angle
        of the grating
        to select the range of wavelengths that project onto the sensor.
        Probably an arduino
        or similar CPU could be set up to read out the sensor. Fax machines
        will also have
        a similar sensor, perhaps with fewer elements in the line.

        Jon
      • Jon Elson
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27, 2012
          Jon Elson wrote:

          I just got an email ad from an outfit that has a USB "memory stick"
          spectrometer.

          http://www.pembrokeinstruments.com/

          I have not checked the cost and know nothing about the quality of the unit,
          just thought I'd pass this along. They do claim 1 nm wavelength resolution.