Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] PWM'ing a laser diode

  • Kevin Impson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 5 KB
    Here is a circuit that controls current and has PWM

    Best,

    Kevin I.

    Message 2 of 5 , Sep 11, 2012
      LED lasers can be picky about the amount of current they receive. Too little and they don't lase, too much and they fail. A constant current driver and a switch to steer the current through the diode or off to ground should do the trick. I'm sure there are some high-speed constant-current drivers but I can't think of one off hand.

      Donald.
      --
      *Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
      () no proprietary attachments; no html mail

      > If have a fixed output LED driver and working LED how can I switch the
      > LED from a logic gate? Is it as simple as installing a suitable FET
      > (less than a watt) between the existing driver and the LED? Seems like
      > way to simple of a solution.
      >
      > I'm still thinking about mounting a LED/laser diode on my CO2 laser
      > cutter to play with top down 3D resin printing. I have a suitable
      > LED/lens/driver available but it is only controllable by switching the
      > power supply on/off.
      >
      > Roger

    • Donald H Locker
      Message 3 of 5 , Sep 11, 2012
        Oops. I misread - you have the driver. In that case, PWMing a MOSFET should work.

        Donald.
        --
        *Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
        () no proprietary attachments; no html mail
        /\ ascii ribbon campaign - <www.asciiribbon.org>

        > If have a fixed output LED driver and working LED how can I switch the
        > LED from a logic gate? Is it as simple as installing a suitable FET
        > (less than a watt) between the existing driver and the LED? Seems like
        > way to simple of a solution.
        >
        > I'm still thinking about mounting a LED/laser diode on my CO2 laser
        > cutter to play with top down 3D resin printing. I have a suitable
        > LED/lens/driver available but it is only controllable by switching the
        > power supply on/off.
        >
        > Roger

      • lincomatic
        Message 4 of 5 , Sep 12, 2012
          Some laser drivers are controllable via TTL logic. I have this one, which can switch up to 10KHz for PWM

          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360474922037

          -Sam