Help! I accidentally jumped in over my head a little on a CNC/Rep Rap 3D Printer project.

  • Charles Couch
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2012
      Help! I accidentally jumped in over my head a little on a CNC/Rep Rap 3D Printer project.

      I just bought a more heavy duty stepper motor 2A as my little ones were getting bogged down. I also bought a 2A driver board, this one...

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BSGA7K/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

      It was $6 or $11 with shipping.

      Anyway, I think they sent me a new version that is much more complex, and zero documentation. It is called the Keyes L298, but I can find nothing about it on Google.

      I'm trying to use it as a stepper controller.

      It has these outputs...
      2 motor A, VMS GND 5V, 2 motor B

      These are the inputs...
      ENA IN1 IN2 IN3 IN4 ENB GND 5V

      IT has these jumpers all currently connected with jumpers...
      CSB CSA VR1 VR2 VR3 VR4

      Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to get a 3D Printer up and running so I can use it to make models for cast a Tesla Turbine with a Valvular Conduit and some other stuff.

      What little documentation I've been able to find on similar driver boards with the L298 don't give details for driving steppers.

      I'd like to be able to use the Easy Driver Boards I got from Amazon and am currently using on the other steppers.

      These Easy Drivers have Dir Step and GND inputs and simply A A' B B' outputs.

      My Maximite controller hasn't got that many GPIO pins and I've already burned one out, so I'd like to use the Easy Boards 2 pin control.

      I was hoping that the A A' B B' could just be sent to the IN1 IN2 and IN3 IN4 pins if I tie the ENA and ENB high or low one. Otherwise I think I might have to generate the four bit driver truth table for the motor and write a whole bunch more code and maybe have some timing issues.

      Also, you guys might like to know that MMBasic that runs on this little Maximite or Duinomite Mini I have will now run on WindowsXP for all you oldtimer TRS80, C-64, Atari, types who miss having basic under windows os. It is free to download at MMBasic.com

      Unfortunately the Windows version won't talk to the GPIO header so it isn't really as cool as the Maximite and Duinomite Mini.

      Thanks,
      Michael Couch

    • Kevin Impson
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2012
      Hi Charles,

      Do a Google search for L298 that will give you the info on the acutal workhorse on that board of yours.

      I use the L298 for Bipolar stepper drivers also. They is a chip the L297 which is the mate with the L298 for creating a full controller.

      With those two chips, your inputs are direction, step and enable, you also have step and half step input.

      The L297 can be gotten off of Ebay.

      To answer which wire goes where "motor A" you connect the bipolar phase A coil to.

      "motor B" you connect the phase B coil to it...

      VMS is the power supply for the stepper motor, usually you can double or quadruple the voltage that is the motor itself. This gives you more torque, sharper steps and far fewer step misses.

      Gnd is where you connect the grounds for both the VMS "which is motor supply voltage" and your 5V+ supply ground.

      5V is your logic level 5 volt supply input.

      For the inputs your looking at these...

      ENA - Enable for motor or "coil" A

      ENB - Enable for motor or "coil" B

      GND - Ground for logic level supply

      5V - 5 volt supply

      IN1 - set's output "a" of the first H-bridge of the L298
      IN2 - set's output "b" of the first H-bridge of the L298
      IN3 - set's output "a" of the second H-bridge of the L298
      IN4 - set's output "b" of the second H-bridge of the L298

      Again I will state that getting a L297 will make your life much easier because it handles all of the above mentioned inputs.

      I have attached the L298, L297 datasheets and the standard circuit configuration.

      Kevin I.

      Message 3 of 6 , Aug 9, 2012
        Kevin:

        Thanks for all that info, I have already seen.

        What I was hoping was for help connecting this $6 driver board to my Easy Driver $14 boards. I already have three that should still be working.

        Seems like the Easy Driver boards should do everything the 297 does without my having to build a board. If I can sort out the lines and signals.

        Michael Couch

        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Impson <internetgiest@...> wrote:

        > Hi Charles,
        >
        > Do a Google search for L298 that will give you the info on the acutal workhorse on that board of yours.
        >
        > I use the L298 for Bipolar stepper drivers also. They is a chip the L297 which is the mate with the L298 for creating a full controller.
        >
        > With those two chips, your inputs are direction, step and enable, you also have step and half step input.
        >
        > The L297 can be gotten off of Ebay.
        >
        > To answer which wire goes where "motor A" you connect the bipolar phase A coil to.
        >
        > "motor B" you connect the phase B coil to it...
        >
        > VMS is the power supply for the stepper motor, usually you can double or quadruple the voltage that is the motor itself. This gives you more torque, sharper steps and far fewer step misses.
        >
        > Gnd is where you connect the grounds for both the VMS "which is motor supply voltage" and your 5V+ supply ground.
        >
        > 5V is your logic level 5 volt supply input.
        >
        > For the inputs your looking at these...
        >
        > ENA - Enable for motor or "coil" A
        >
        > ENB - Enable for motor or "coil" B
        >
        > GND - Ground for logic level supply
        >
        > 5V - 5 volt supply
        >
        > IN1 - set's output "a" of the first H-bridgeof the L298
        > IN2 - set's output "b" of the first H-bridgeof the L298
        > IN3 - set's output "a" of the second H-bridge of the L298
        >
        > IN4 - set's output "b" of the second H-bridgeof the L298
        >
        > Again I will state that getting a L297 will make your life much easier because it handles all of the above mentioned inputs.
        >

        > I have attached the L298, L297 datasheets and the standard circuit configuration.
        >
        > Kevin I.
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Michael Couch
        Message 4 of 6 , Aug 9, 2012
          OOoops, yes that schematic did help though as it showed a stepper wired into the L298. That helps a bit.

          Michael

        • Kevin Impson
          Message 5 of 6 , Aug 9, 2012
          Michael,

          The Easy Driver stepper controller does what the L298 and L297 together with each other does.

          As far as the pinouts go to following link...

          http://schmalzhaus.com/EasyDriver/

          You don't say which Easy Driver you have... but the 4.4 version has the pinouts and description at almost the bottom of the page.

          Also I noticed in the information for the Easy Driver it has a maximum of 750mA.

          The L298 and L297 combo will do 2 Amps and if ganged together will do 4 Amps.

          When dealing with Nema22 or higher rate steppers current is key on proper function the stepper being driven.

          I'm attaching to images from the Easy Driver site...

          The MS1 and MS2 are for setting the step config...

          MS1
          MS2
          Resolution
          low
          low
          Full Step (2 phase)
          high
          low
          Half step
          low
          high
          Quarter step
          high
          high
          Eight step
          If you need more help just email me.

          Kevin I

          OOoops, yes that schematic did help though as it showed a stepper wired into the L298. That helps a bit.

          Michael

          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Impson <internetgiest@...> wrote:

          > Hi Charles,
          >
          > Do a Google search for L298 that will give you the info on the acutal workhorse on that board of yours.
          >
          > I use the L298 for Bipolar stepper drivers also. They is a chip the L297 which is the mate with the L298 for creating a full controller.
          >
          > With those two chips, your inputs are direction, step and enable, you also have step and half step input.
          >
          > The L297 can be gotten off of Ebay.
          >
          > To answer which wire goes where "motor A" you connect the bipolar phase A coil to.
          >
          > "motor B" you connect the phase B coil to it...
          >
          > VMS is the power supply for the stepper motor, usually you can double or quadruple the voltage that is the motor itself. This gives you more torque, sharper steps and far fewer step misses.
          >
          > Gnd is where you connect the grounds for both the VMS "which is motor supply voltage" and your 5V+ supply ground.
          >
          > 5V is your logic level 5 volt supply input.
          >
          > For the inputs your looking at these...
          >
          > ENA - Enable for motor or "coil" A
          >
          > ENB - Enable for motor or "coil" B
          >
          > GND - Ground for logic level supply
          >
          > 5V - 5 volt supply
          >
          > IN1 - set's output "a" of the first H-bridgeof the L298
          > IN2 - set's output "b" of the first H-bridgeof the L298
          > IN3 - set's output "a" of the second H-bridge of the L298
          >
          > IN4 - set's output "b" of the second H-bridgeof the L298
          >
          > Again I will state that getting a L297 will make your life much easier because it handles all of the above mentioned inputs.
          >

          > I have attached the L298, L297 datasheets and the standard circuit configuration.
          >
          > Kevin I.
          >

          > ________________________________

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication-digest@yahoogroups.com
              diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Michael Couch
          Message 6 of 6 , Aug 10, 2012
            Kevin:

            Thanks, I have all that. What I really want to know is...

            Can I use the output from the Easy Driver to DRIVE the Keyes L298?

            Seems like I should be able to do that if the IN1...IN4 signals are just passed straight through to the A motor and B motor. No?

            Michael