Re: Question on cartridge

  • Bear
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 20, 2008
      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "shroffja"
      <shroffja@...> wrote:

      > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "afogassa"
      > <afogassa@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "shroffja"
      > > <shroffja@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > This is great work, but I had a question on the cartridge, what
      > do
      > > you
      > > > use as a binder to solidify the powder? Just the standard ink or
      > do
      > > you
      > > > replace it with something else?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks
      > > > Jay
      > > >

      > > Distilled water, that's it. the binder(maltodextrin) is mixed with
      > > plaster.
      > >

      > afogassa,
      >
      > Thanks I am sorry I guess I did not make my question very clear...
      >
      > What I meant to ask is how do you print with distilled water? Are you
      > saying you just fill a cartridge with distilled water? So you let a
      > standard cartridge empty and then fill it with distilled water? I
      > look at you samples and do not see any coloration so how did you get
      > your cartridges completely clean?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Jay

      Another way to look at this is that he's not "printing" with distilled
      water at all, he's using the inkjet printhead to spray an activator
      (in this case, distilled water) onto a pile of powder that has a
      dehydrated water-based glue mixed into it. (I don't think that's what
      Maltodextrin really is, but it's accurate enough to get the gist of
      what's going on.)

      Think of it this way, plaster already clumps if you sprinkle water
      onto a pile of it. Adding maltodextrin causes it to stick together
      once it dries out again. "Printing" with water, in this case, just
      means selectively sprinkling water onto this mixture to cause the
      plaster to clump and the maltodextrin to do its sticky thing. When a
      new layer of combined powder is applied over an already-printed-on
      section, the layer is thin enough that adding more water to a section
      that was already sprinkled on will cause the new layer to stick to the
      already-wet sections underneath. In this manner you can make objects
      in three dimensions.
    • shroffja
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
        <afogassa@...> wrote:

        > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "shroffja"
        > <shroffja@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In
        diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "afogassa"
        > > <afogassa@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > --- In
        > diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "shroffja"

        > what
        > > do
        > > > you
        > or
        > > do
        > > > you

        > > > Distilled water, that's it. the binder(maltodextrin) is mixed
        > with
        > > > plaster.
        > > >

        > > afogassa,
        > >
        > > Thanks I am sorry I guess I did not make my question very
        clear...

        > > What I meant to ask is how do you print with distilled water? Are
        > you
        > > saying you just fill a cartridge with distilled water? So you let
        > > standard cartridge empty and then fill it with distilled water? I
        > > look at you samples and do not see any coloration so how did you
        > get
        > > your cartridges completely clean?
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > Jay
        > >

        > yes Jay, just water, I did open the cartridge by taking the top
        > off,(pry it out with a utility knife, takes some time to do it) got
        > the sponge out washed it, put the top cover back and seal all
        around
        > it with hot glue gun.
        > If you're using just water you can put the sponge back in there,
        > if want to try something different then don't put the sponge back
        or
        > it will dissolve and clog the print head.
        > There is still some ink inside the noze chamber that can be clean
        > by using a small suction pump, But I just print till it cleans out
        > with the water that was added to it.
        > There is a small hole at the top cover, use that to refill the
        > cartridge using a syringe.

        Thanks afogassa that description helps a lot. Now I need to build
        one :-)
      • shroffja
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "Bear"
          <squirrelingitaway@...> wrote:

          > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "shroffja"
          > <shroffja@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In
          diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "afogassa"
          > > <afogassa@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > --- In
          diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "shroffja"

          > > do
          > > > you
          > > do
          > > > you

          > > > Distilled water, that's it. the binder(maltodextrin) is mixed
          with
          > > > plaster.
          > > >

          > > afogassa,
          > >
          > > Thanks I am sorry I guess I did not make my question very
          clear...

          > > What I meant to ask is how do you print with distilled water? Are
          you
          > > saying you just fill a cartridge with distilled water? So you let
          > > standard cartridge empty and then fill it with distilled water? I
          > > look at you samples and do not see any coloration so how did you
          get
          > > your cartridges completely clean?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Jay
          > >

          > Another way to look at this is that he's not "printing" with
          distilled
          > water at all, he's using the inkjet printhead to spray an activator
          > (in this case, distilled water) onto a pile of powder that has a
          > dehydrated water-based glue mixed into it. (I don't think that's
          what
          > Maltodextrin really is, but it's accurate enough to get the gist of
          > what's going on.)
          >
          > Think of it this way, plaster already clumps if you sprinkle water
          > onto a pile of it. Adding maltodextrin causes it to stick together
          > once it dries out again. "Printing" with water, in this case, just
          > means selectively sprinkling water onto this mixture to cause the
          > plaster to clump and the maltodextrin to do its sticky thing. When
          > new layer of combined powder is applied over an already-printed-on
          > section, the layer is thin enough that adding more water to a
          section
          > that was already sprinkled on will cause the new layer to stick to
          the
          > already-wet sections underneath. In this manner you can make
          objects
          > in three dimensions.

          Hi Bear,

          I had the understanding that the way the ink cartridges work is that
          the ink gets heated in a localized fashion and the quick heating
          causes the ink to be forced out of the matrix and I assumed that
          water might not have the same characteristics as the ink chemical - I
          assumed that either the water would vaporize too fast or it would
          have too much surface tension to just stick to the cartridge and not
          drip out in the right fashion, but from what afogassa describes looks
          like it works just fine... I guess I just have to try it next :-)