Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: 3DLP Host Software version 1.3.0

  • Earl Green
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 25, 2012
    Chris,

    Thanks. I have downloaded and installed python(xy). I also have the
    read only source.

    Would you be able to add the file for the UI? This is from the
    qtgui.py file:

    Form implementation generated from reading ui file '3dlp.ui'

    Thanks,
    Earl Green
  • Chris Marion
    Message 2 of 30 , Jun 25, 2012
      Hey Earl,

      I'm not home right now but tomorrow morning I'll add all the relevant UI files to the Google code repository. I'll let you know when I do.

      -Chris

    • chauveaufrederic@ymail.com
      Message 3 of 30 , Jun 26, 2012
        Hi Chris,

        here is the screen I have :
        (that's on my album Fred trials)

        you can see that it is working well but on the image box, I just have "image preview" but no image... perhaps a package I don't have..

        also, I'm piloting my machine with a stepper bee+ because it is a all in one system whith you can pilot 2 steppers motors + imit switches and it is easy to control by the pc...
        the link is here and there is the manual in pdf at the end of the page..
        thanks a lot
        Fred

        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Chris Marion <chrismarion@...> wrote:

        > Hi Fred,
        >
        > Can you please describe your problem in greater detail? Are you missing
        > the slideshow window all-together, or just the image preview in the main
        > GUI? I haven't worked on the software in several weeks, but if there are
        > issues or additional features that need to be taken care of I will do my
        > best to fix them.
        >
        > -Chris
        >
        > On 6/23/2012 3:08 AM, chauveaufrederic@... wrote:
        > >
        > > Hey Chris,
        > > your software looks so promissing...
        > > I don't know why but I don't have any image preview..
        > >
        > > Are you still working on the soft and do you have a new version to test ?
        > > thanks
        > > Fred
        > >
        > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
        > > <mailto:diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication%40yahoogroups.com>, Chris
        > > Marion <chrismarion@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > What exactly is Paulos slicer? Maybe I can integrate it into 3DLP Host?
        > > >
        > > > -Chris

        > > <mailto:diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication%40yahoogroups.com>

        > > describe what
        > > it's all

        > > your

        > > <mailto:diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication%40yahoogroups.com>

        > > printer
        > > (should be
        > > around your
        > > and will
        > > I have
        > > really
        > > keeping it

        > > <mailto:diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication%40yahoogroups.com>

        > > really
        > > x32.

        > > for the
        > > there as
        > > working on
        > > then I'll
        > > provide

        > > use the
        > > successful
        > > across any
        > > Uno,
        > > that has
        > > broken out,

        > > continuously
        > > edit the
        > > here if

        > > IDE,
        > > more
        > > right

        > > http://code.google.com/p/3dlp-host-software/downloads/list

      • Tom DW
        Message 4 of 30 , Jun 26, 2012
          Hi Chris,

          Thanks for the quick response. In our case we need to send some codes to the serial port at 9600 baud.
          At startup we need to send initial commands like speed and for each layer we need to send 3 commands (up/ change direction/ down).

          I downloaded your source and noticed that you are checking which device is used (arduino or pymcu board) and use the correct code for this board.
          If there are more people which want to use your software for different printers. Maybe its a good idea to use inheritance, create an abstract class called for example interfaceboard with all needed functions like Startup MoveUpALayer and so on.
          From this class a new device can be created with the same interface. In that case your main code never changes because it uses standard functions, and only new interfaceboard classes should be inherited and added.

          I always program in c++, c# or sometimes java, but if you want i can try to help out a bit.

          Tom

          Message 5 of 30 , Jun 26, 2012
            Hi Tom,
            Just a question... do you have a preview image of your stl in the image preview windows ?
            thanks
            Fred

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Tom DW <tdeweyer@...> wrote:

            > Hi Chris,
            >
            > Thanks for the quick response. In our case we need to send some codes to the serial port at 9600 baud.
            > At startup we need to send initial commands like speed and for each layer we need to send 3 commands (up/ change direction/ down).
            >

            > I downloaded your source and noticed that you are checking which device is used (arduino or pymcu board) and use the correct code for this board.
            > If there are more people which want to use your software for different printers. Maybe its a good idea to use inheritance, create an abstract class called for example interfaceboard with all needed functions like Startup MoveUpALayer and so on.
            > From this class a new device can be created with the same interface. In that case your main code never changes because it uses standard functions, and only new interfaceboard classes should be inherited and added.
            >
            > I always program in c++, c# or sometimes java, but if you want i can try to help out a bit.
            >
            > Tom
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Tom DW
            Message 6 of 30 , Jun 26, 2012
              Hi Fred,

              When i'm loading an stl file it does not give me a preview of the stl if that is what you mean. But its loaded and i can slice it.

              Tom

              Message 7 of 30 , Jun 26, 2012
                Hi Fred,

                The image preview section only shows the current image being sent to the projector. If you're not actually printing, it won't show anything. Currently, if you want to flip through the sliced images you just have to go to the "slices" directory and view them there. If people would like to see the feature added, I could let users flip through the sliced images in the preview window before printing.

                I will have a look at the Stepper Bee+ protocol.

                -Chris

              • Chris Marion

                  Message 9 of 30 , Jun 26, 2012
                    Hey Chris,
                    Thanks... If you want, I can send you a spear stepper bee (not plus but same protocol) I have ... this thing is so simple to command with visual basic and c++ and I sure it would be easy for you to drive..
                    I think it is a very good solution and very simple.. with a stepper bee+ you can control 2 big steps motors, or one motor and a solenoid + end switches.. a very good and a very easy solution.. and Archie from Pc Control is a very helpfull guy..

                  • richkang78
                    Message 10 of 30 , Jul 9, 2012
                      First post here. Thanks Chris for developing the 3dlp software.

                      I have a question about getting the most detail in my sliced images. Maybe you all can help me if I am looking at things the wrong way. I am exporting all my .stl files out of sketchup, and I find that the larger (dimensionally) my models are (to a point), the more detail I can gain in the image slices. Beyond a certain size, the slicing software crashes. My question is, what is the optimal size for a model and the minimum size of any feature that can be modeled for the best results in the slicing software?

                      For example, if a cube whose base is 800mm x 800mm, and is exported to stl, and is sliced by the software which is set to 800 x 800 pixels, does that mean the slicer can distinguish a 1mm x 1mm feature as a single pixel? From my experience, this is not the case. Clearly the cutting "tool" shape and the 3d model size plays a role in this but I am having trouble figuring this out.

                      This information is important in understanding the limit of detail that can be achieved by the slicer, so that I can better design 3d models. Any enlightenment is appreciated.

                      Rich