Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: dlp-like stripe projection

  • Jon Elson
    Message 1 of 70 , May 31, 2012
      Mark wrote:
      > Efficiency is the ratio of useful energy out to energy in. Given that most of the spectrum from the HP lamp is not useful one has to question the claims of high efficiency.
      >

      > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Graham Stabler wrote:
      >>

      >>> So the first question is, do projectors give out 100W of optical
      >>> power? A 100W light bulb certainly does not, given the heat I would
      >>> expect losses to be very high but I don't know.
      >>>
      >> No, they don't. First, although the HP lamp is more efficient, it still
      >> gives off a lot of
      >> IR and convective heat.
      OK, I was comparing the UHP projection bulbs to the 100 W incandescent
      light bulb, as
      Graham mentioned. I am sure the UHP lamps ARE more efficient than plain
      incandescent bulbs. Those produce a HUGE amount of IR, and that is why
      projectors that used them used dichroic mirrors to dump the heat. The
      UHP lamps
      produce much less IR, so that helps the efficiency.

      Jon
    • Michael Couch
      Message 70 of 70 , Jun 1, 2012
        With lasers and electomechanics?