Something worth working on while waiting for parts! =D

  • quazga
    Message 1 of 20 , May 24 7:16 PM
      I'm certain I could win this, problem is, I have other things I have to work on since I now have all the parts I need for my main project. =)

      http://desktopfactory2012.istart.org/
      Message 2 of 20 , May 25 12:57 AM
        Your main project will still be there after you win?

        Message 3 of 20 , May 25 3:06 AM
          No Graham, sadly. I am pressed for time. When the time runs out my project will be worthless and my efforts wasted. If I can get past some critical issues I will gain some time and may take a look at this contest again, provided no one has won.

          About the only difficult thing I can see about this contest is finding a supplier for the colorant that is willing to sell in small quantities. The rest is simply converting well known plastic injection technology to DIY criteria and methods.

          James

          Message 4 of 20 , May 25 3:08 AM
            I think that is the hard part, to do well. The devil is in the details.

            Graham

            Message 5 of 20 , May 25 3:12 AM
              But I have to say that making it a race is a little stupid IMHO unless they get to steal all the ideas of the runners up too.

              Graham
            • quazga
              Message 6 of 20 , May 25 3:17 AM
                True! But, I never think about the details at first. HAHAHA! =D If I think of too many details I end up doing nothing. =p On the other hand, I am a perfectionist, so I've endured a great deal of suffering in life when it comes to the details. =)

                James

                --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler <grezmos@...> wrote:

                > I think that is the hard part, to do well. The devil is in the details.
                >
                > Graham
                >
                > On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:06 AM, quazga <quazga@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > > . The rest is simply converting well known plastic injection technology
                > > to DIY criteria and methods.

              • quazga
                Message 7 of 20 , May 25 3:22 AM
                  I agree! They should present what is offered before a certain date and then let people vote or something like that.

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 25 3:24 AM
                    And it is very easy to say your design is not quite up to scratch and take a few ideas from it. Not that I am saying they have these intentions.

                    Graham

                    On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM, quazga <quazga@...> wrote:

                    I agree! They should present what is offered before a certain date and then let people vote or something like that.

                    James

                    --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler <grezmos@...> wrote:

                    > But I have to say that making it a race is a little stupid IMHO unless they
                    > get to steal all the ideas of the runners up too.
                    >
                    > Graham

                  • quazga
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 25 3:38 AM
                      Quite a bit of industrial espionage happening online these days. One needs to be careful of how one interacts online and take affirmative steps to protect oneself when dealing with the security of ones intellectual property.

                      They seem to be evolving the contest on the fly as can be seen in the comments here: http://inventables.blogspot.com/2012/05/40k-desktop-factory-competition-to-make.html

                      James

                      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler <grezmos@...> wrote:

                      > And it is very easy to say your design is not quite up to scratch and take
                      > a few ideas from it. Not that I am saying they have these intentions.
                      >
                      > Graham
                      >

                      > On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM, quazga <quazga@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > I agree! They should present what is offered before a certain date and
                      > > then let people vote or something like that.
                      > >
                      > > James
                      > >
                      > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler
                      > > <grezmos@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > But I have to say that making it a race is a little stupid IMHO unless
                      > > they
                      > > > get to steal all the ideas of the runners up too.
                      > > >
                      > > > Graham

                    • Marc Bechamp
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 25 7:00 AM
                        This guy has already done it.  May need more work but the simplicity is hard to beat... http://youtu.be/anqKC0i0a7Y

                        Marc

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 25 9:10 AM
                          I'd seen that one but I wonder if it would be under $250 if not made from spare parts and with an enclosed chain drive. Novel use of a drill as an auger.

                          Graham

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 25 11:02 AM
                            Assuming a 250$ cost obviously.  The piping and auger are very reasonably priced anywhere.  Gears to replace chain drive can be 3D-printed in ABS or purchased on eBay.  Band heaters start at 4$ on eBay, thermocouples are 2$ and up.  And it's not difficult to use an Arduino to control all that.  So it is affordable...

                            I would be very interested, within the same 250$, in fitting also a grinder (or pelletizer) for recycled plastics to feed this extruder.  This way you could recuperate a lot of stuff even before throwing in the recycle bin.  Grinding ABS would be a tough challenge...

                            Marc

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 25 11:11 AM
                              Well there you go, get yourself an easy 40k

                              Graham

                              On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Marc Bechamp <marcbechamp@...> wrote:

                              Assuming a 250$ cost obviously.  The piping and auger are very reasonably priced anywhere.  Gears to replace chain drive can be 3D-printed in ABS or purchased on eBay.  Band heaters start at 4$ on eBay, thermocouples are 2$ and up.  And it's not difficult to use an Arduino to control all that.  So it is affordable...

                              I would be very interested, within the same 250$, in fitting also a grinder (or pelletizer) for recycled plastics to feed this extruder.  This way you could recuperate a lot of stuff even before throwing in the recycle bin.  Grinding ABS would be a tough challenge...

                              Marc

                              On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Graham Stabler <grezmos@...> wrote:

                              I'd seen that one but I wonder if it would be under $250 if not made from spare parts and with an enclosed chain drive. Novel use of a drill as an auger.

                              Graham

                              On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Marc Bechamp <marcbechamp@...> wrote:

                              This guy has already done it.  May need more work but the simplicity is hard to beat... http://youtu.be/anqKC0i0a7Y

                              Marc

                              On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 6:06 AM, quazga <quazga@...> wrote:

                              No Graham, sadly. I am pressed for time. When the time runs out my project will be worthless and my efforts wasted. If I can get past some critical issues I will gain some time and may take a look at this contest again, provided no one has won.

                              About the only difficult thing I can see about this contest is finding a supplier for the colorant that is willing to sell in small quantities. The rest is simply converting well known plastic injection technology to DIY criteria and methods.

                              James

                              --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Graham Stabler <grezmos@...> wrote:

                              > Your main project will still be there after you win?
                              >
                              > On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 3:16 AM, quazga <quazga@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > I'm certain I could win this, problem is, I have other things I have to
                              > > work on since I now have all the parts I need for my main project. =)
                              > >
                              > > http://desktopfactory2012.istart.org/

                            • Boman33
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 25 11:47 AM

                                I do not see cost as an obstacle.  Reliably keeping the dimension to +/-0.05mm is very difficult.

                                I too like the drillbit auger.  Very clever!

                                Bertho

                                Message 15 of 20 , May 29 4:29 AM
                                  I found this and thought it was interesting: http://haveblue.org/?p=841  (is this blog from a forum member?)

                                  Somehow I still think a $250 extruder doing 0.05mm is pretty hard. Can't wait to see someone do it.

                                  Graham

                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 29 4:03 PM

                                    This is interesting and related http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rocknail/filabot-plastic-filament-maker/posts/232450?ref=activity

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 19, 2013
                                      And the winner was Hugh Lyman. Congrats!

                                      http://blog.grabcad.com/2013/03/desktop-factory-challenge-won/

                                    • wenshidi@yahoo.co.uk
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 19, 2013
                                        I have been watching this contest carefully and would be interested to hear other members response to the project.
                                        My own thoughts are that a 3D printer is not so viable without an extruder to recycle plastic (and a scanner but that is another story.)
                                        The reason that I say this is explained from in the following book excerpt.  This is talking about the potential uses of 3D printing in third world areas.

                                        "The surprising alternative to buckets is actually boats. Most small vessels in West Africa are made from hardwood trees, such as teak, that are becoming increasingly scarce. Making them from waste plastic instead is an environmental win/win: rare species are conserved and less rubbish thrown away. The team estimated that if they had printed a boat from commercial plastic filament it would have cost them $800. Instead, 250 clean, empty milk bottles set them back just $3.20."

                                        As you can see the cost differences are immense.  Perhaps 3D printers will not really take off until a full set of printer, scanner, recycler and extruder are available in one bundle.....?

                                        Chris

                                        And the winner was Hugh Lyman. Congrats!

                                        http://blog.grabcad.com/2013/03/desktop-factory-challenge-won/

                                        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "quazga" <quazga@...> wrote:

                                        > I'm certain I could win this, problem is, I have other things I have to work on since I now have all the parts I need for my main project. =)
                                        >
                                        > http://desktopfactory2012.istart.org/

                                      • arthur2shedsj
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 20, 2013
                                          http://www.3ders.org/articles/20120715-first-full-sized-3d-printed-milk-jug-boat.html

                                          I never heard back if the contest rules were changed after this entry.

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 22, 2013
                                            I really enjoy seeing all these competitions.

                                            "quite reminiscent of the early 1900s, which saw the rapid development of the airplane. Just a century ago, newspapers and wealthy sponsors were offering large cash prizes to aviators, hoping that they could make planes fly further and faster than ever before. These competitions made instant celebrities out of pioneers such as Charles Lindbergh, Amelia Earhart, and Louis Blériot."

                                            Anyway, here is one more for all of you that want to get any youngsters you know involved in 3D Printing.

                                            http://www.stemnet.org.uk/content/3d-printing

                                            Chris