3D Printing "Ink" / water

  • Eric Wilson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2009
      1. I have been searching for information on the "ink" for the 3D inkjet printing. I would like to be able to print in color. Is there any reason that regular water based ink cannot be used? Other than for the expense of it.

      2. Can straight water be used in the Epson piezo based print heads? If not is the distailled water + isopropol alcohol the best solution?

      P.S. I intend to use the dental plaster + maltodextrin mix.

      Thx in advance for the response(s)!
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 12, 2009
        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Wilson" <ericdwilson@...> wrote:

        > 1. I have been searching for information on the "ink" for the 3D inkjet printing. I would like to be able to print in color. Is there any reason that regular water based ink cannot be used? Other than for the expense of it.
        >
        > 2. Can straight water be used in the Epson piezo based print heads? If not is the distailled water + isopropol alcohol the best solution?
        >
        > P.S. I intend to use the dental plaster + maltodextrin mix.
        >
        > Thx in advance for the response(s)!

        Regular ink has silicon added to it, not good to get a good bond.
        water should work on epsons.you can add alcohol and glicerin to control how the water soaks into the powder.you can add food ink to tint it with, start with just water to see what you get.Just don't use ANY kind of glue on it.
      • Kevin Hawkinson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 12, 2009
          Eric,
          Use food coloring in your binder.
          Look in the links section of the group webpage for binder and powder recipes.

          -Kevin H

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 12, 2009
            Kevin,

            I looked in the links section.. I must be blind cause I can only find
            one recipe within the links pages.

            Regards, Eric

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Hawkinson

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 12, 2009
              Yeah, I only saw one article with recipes. "The Printed Pot"

              According to Prof Ganter, if you use the maltodextrin recipe, you can replace the ceramic powder with plaster, rice flour, starch, powdered sugar, etc. because the maltodextrin actually holds the stuff together. He's been using this recipe in Z-Corp machines with much success.
              -Kevin H