Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: pronterface again

  • Michael Joyce
    Message 1 of 66 , Apr 2, 2012
      I've been using simple breakaway structures.  The nice thing with the dlp process is very little support is needed for most objects.
      You will always need support for "danglers".  These are areas of the build where a portion of the object first appears in the z-order.  Other support issues happen when a large flat area suddenly appears, it might need multiple legs.
      I think automated support structure generation is the "holy grail" to making this work for the masses.  Most folks won't want to create structures in their stl file.  Of course, it wouldn't have to be real time.  It could be a separate step done on a host computer and the "modified" stl file could be put on the SD card.  Probably the way to go at first.

      MikeJ

      On 4/2/2012 2:33 PM, Chris Marion wrote:
      Mike,

      I honestly don't have much experience with support structure generation. I'm intending to add it in real time, but until I get a good understanding of what exactly the perfect support structure is, I can't implement it. For example, I've seen support structure done as an array of breakaway plus-sign-shaped objects - is this the way to go? And if so, should it be added just when there is a cavity or hole or should it encapsulate the entire model? The latter would be much much easier to implement but lends itself to more wasted material... let me know!

      -Chris

      On 4/2/2012 4:28 PM, Michael Joyce wrote:

      Chris,
      Are you planning any automated support structure generation (done real time on the Raspberry Pi) or must the .stl file already have that modeled?
      MikeJ

      On 4/2/2012 1:49 PM, Chris Marion wrote:

      Portable printing using an SD card is possible, but not with just an Arduino - you'll need something to drive the projector to sync it with the z movement. I'm sure many of you have heard about the Raspberry Pi - once I get mine I'll be looking into using it as the controller for the printer - it has GPIO pins on it so with the proper circuitry an Arduino isn't even necessary. It's a 700MHz computer the size of a credit card with 256mb of RAM and more graphics processing power than an XBox or the new nVidia Tegra 2, running Linux with Ethernet, HDMI, and USB ports for only $35. It could easily run my Python script to control the projector and the z axis and x axis(if applicable) and the Ethernet port can be used with my software to log into the printer and check status of the print job. Once I get it up and running, I'll even provide an SD card image with all the software installed and set up. All someone would have to do to set up the printer would be to flash the SD card with Linux and software pre-installed, boot it up, insert a USB stick with the model you'd like to print, and press start. Since the board can only drive a single monitor or projector, the use of buttons and the network would be critical to seeing status of the job and previewing slides. I'd add jog buttons (manually bring z-axis up and down) and maybe a small 16x2 LCD display for easy diagnostics. Preview could be done over LAN.

      @Craig -

      I'll see what I can do about previews and the ability to set a longer exposure for the first few layers - shouldn't be too difficult. Not sure about automatic support structures though - I'll see what I can figure out... what exactly is the optimal support structure? If someone could give me an idea of what it is or maybe a .png or .jpg or .svg of the optimal structure I'll see what I can do about overlaying it on top of the slices....I"m assuming that's how it's usually done..? Thanks for the feedback.

      -Chris

      On 4/2/2012 12:17 PM, afogassa wrote:

      wow, nice set up you have there.
      Well, I don´t have mine working yet ,so I think that it´s what is missing on pronterface would be a good start point.
      Also, the atmega 1280 board can be bought for about 20 bucks on ebay and that makes for a cheap system.
      I would not mind if there was a keypad to move the axis without being connect to the computer and a lcd, and that it could be run without having the computer attached maybe a SD card would do it, I know it could be done but maybe I´m asking too much.
      A all in one apllication would also be nice,slice, preview and send to the SD card, take it to the machine put it in and press start come back to computer and set the next build.
      That is what is missing so far.

      --
      "Measure Twice, Cut Once"
      http://www.B9Creations.com

      --
      "Measure Twice, Cut Once"
      http://www.B9Creations.com
      Message 66 of 66 , Jul 1, 2012
        Hi PZ,
        I have only just seen your message.
        I've fixed my site, and it's now back online (the database went a little off the boil).
        The old content is back online for anyone who is following a similar project; hopefully it will go some way to answering any questions.
        I do intend to fully update the site with the latest developments, however I don't expect to have the required time to do so for another 3 weeks, as I'm away.

        Best Regards,
        Dan