anybody has a home-made 3D printer prototype?

  • gary
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2009
      i am looking for a 3D printer prototype for a short period evaluation. anybody has one? i can pay some premium to rent for a couple of weeks.

      Thanks,

      Gary

      Message 2 of 9 , May 1 3:39 PM
        how about paying me to build one? that would help.

        Warren Williams
        Lead robotics/research engineer
        Phantasm Robotics inc.
        314-971-4122

        *The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential information intended only for the use of individuals or entities named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail at the originating address.

> [...]

        > 3) Translate the encoder signals to distances. Reproduce the motion first by strapping the printer to my XYZ gantry then later on maybe drive a stepper motor. Idea is X pulses on the encoder would move the stepper motor 1 step. My PMAC controlled XYZ makes this really easy because I just put the encoder signals into the available 4th axis and make the Y servo follow.
        > 4) Use 80/20 (8020.net) extruded aluminum for all possible mechanical parts. 80/20 does very cheap basic maching such as cut to length, drill and tap holes, etc for like $2 a hole or cut. After it's all done, you just bolt it all together with T nuts. I have access to full CNC machines and cam software but it's so much easier having someone else do it.
        >
        > Any comments or offers to collaborate would be appreciated!

      • vrsculptor
        Message 3 of 9 , May 13 7:01 PM
          > I really want to make a high quality XY gantry printer and am revisiting the subject after a delay involved with moving.

          I agree that the R280 is probably a good candidate for the reasons listed but I have not been able to find one to examine. Is the R280 stepper based? Have you made any progress?

          Roger
        • Henry Liu
          Message 4 of 9 , May 13 10:17 PM
            The R280 is not stepper based but with the service manual, it's even easier.  Debug of motor driver IC8 and Head Driver IC7 with a logic analyzer gives you all the information you need.

            You can buy one from the epson store or ebay or amazon take your pick.

            I've made excellent progress.

            Cheers,
            Henry

            On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 7:01 PM, vrsculptor <vrsculptor@...> wrote:

            > I really want to make a high quality XY gantry printer and am revisiting the subject after a delay involved with moving.

            I agree that the R280 is probably a good candidate for the reasons listed but I have not been able to find one to examine. Is the R280 stepper based? Have you made any progress?

            Roger

          • gsi11135
            Message 5 of 9 , May 14 9:05 AM
              Henry,

              I encourage you to post as much information as you have gathered here on the list so as to disseminate information and encourage further experimentation.

              Is the service manual postable? Is there a link?

              Thank you for your hard work!

              Joseph
              Owner/Moderator

              --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Henry Liu <henryjliu@...> wrote:

              > The R280 is not stepper based but with the service manual, it's even
              > easier. Debug of motor driver IC8 and Head Driver IC7 with a logic analyzer
              > gives you all the information you need.
              >
              > You can buy one from the epson store or ebay or amazon take your pick.
              >
              > I've made excellent progress.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Henry
              >
              > On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 7:01 PM, vrsculptor <vrsculptor@...> wrote:
              >

              > > > I really want to make a high quality XY gantry printer and am
              > > revisiting the subject after a delay involved with moving.
              > >
              > > I agree that the R280 is probably a good candidate for the reasons listed
              > > but I have not been able to find one to examine. Is the R280 stepper based?
              > > Have you made any progress?
              > >
              > > Roger

            • Henry Liu
              Message 6 of 9 , May 14 10:00 AM
                The manual is about 150 megabytes so probably too large to upload.  I downloaded it from a link off the homebrew pcb website but have since lost the link.  I can upload it somewhere if someone wants to host it.

                If anyone else has tried hacking the R280, I can share my experiences.  I was going to write a detailed article later on but haven't had time.  The R280 really is the ideal printer for many reasons.

                Cheers,
                Henry