Time to step out!

  • gsi11135
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 18, 2009
      Hey everyone!

      Speak up and let us know what you are doing as it pertains to 3D
      printing? What are your ideas? What would you like to pursue?

      Get this conversation started!

      JOseph
      Owner/Moderator
    • Andrew Shindyapin

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 18, 2009

          I think there are three areas that are closely related regarding custom printers.

          1.       There is an interest among many people to be able to independently control the cartridge.

          2.       There is a need to print on different materials and surfaces of various flat objects.  This would apply to Printed Circuit Boards (Inkjet_PCB user group), various objects, for example the top surface of a box.  The Inkjet_PCB group has modified regular printers to move on a rail to accomplish that task.  So in effect, both groups have that common goal.  By varying the rail height, any object height can be covered.

          3.       Finally there is the issue of how to dispense and accurately level the powder for 3-D printing.  That is really a separate issue and independent of being able to print accurately on a flat surface.

          The more general purpose the systems are, the more people will be interested and can contribute.

          For a prime example, a “moving” printer could as a limit print directly on a flat surface, a desk top, PCBs, boxes or decorations and it would also work perfectly for 3-D printing.

          Bertho

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 18, 2009
            Hi folks,

            I would like to discuss the different ways to come to results
            that would be satisfactory for 3D-printing (rapid prototyping).
            The usage of different plastics , resins, metalpowders or to
            use solids that can be cut out in layers and reassembled.
            The use of molten thermoplasts that can be sprayed in layers to build
            up a 3D-project.
            The combination of heathardening resins and metalpowders.
            There are theoretically hundreds of approaches to do this and
            each has it's benefits and disadvantages.

            Happy tinkering,

            Vereecke Serge.

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "gsi11135"
            <gsi11135@...> wrote:

            > Hey everyone!
            >
            > Speak up and let us know what you are doing as it pertains to 3D
            > printing? What are your ideas? What would you like to pursue?
            >
            > Get this conversation started!
            >
            > JOseph
            > Owner/Moderator

          • gsi11135
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 19, 2009
              Andrew,

              There may be a few people on this list who can program in JS and HTML
              that you could team up with. There may be a few who are web designers
              as well. Do have some programming experience in JS and HTML? Why not
              write up your ideas with a block diagram of how you imagine your
              system working internally and with the hardware and post it for comment?

              Joseph
              Owner/Moderator

              --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Andrew
              Shindyapin <andrei.shindyapin@...> wrote:

              > Hi Everyone,
              >
              > I've been a lurker for a while now. What I'd like to do with regards
              to 3D
              > printing is build a really simple 3D CAD app using JS on an HTML
              canvas, and
              > make it available for free, perhaps as a platform for building other
              > services on top of. Unfortunately, my programming skills are not up
              to par
              > for such a project.
              >
              > Andrew
              >
              > On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:52 AM, gsi11135 <gsi11135@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hey everyone!
              > >
              > > Speak up and let us know what you are doing as it pertains to 3D
              > > printing? What are your ideas? What would you like to pursue?
              > >
              > > Get this conversation started!
              > >
              > > JOseph
              > > Owner/Moderator

            • gsi11135
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 19, 2009
                See my responses interspersed with your discussion points.

                > I think there are three areas that are closely related regarding custom
                > printers.
                >

                > 1. There is an interest among many people to be able to
                independently
                > control the cartridge.

                Should there not be more information available to do this? Somewhere
                over at the Inkjet_PCB group there is a guy who has implemented this
                with an FPGA but I have not heard of website or other detailed info.

                A member of this group gave me this

                http://elektronikforumet.com/wiki/index.php?title=BlC3%A4ckpatron_styrning

                I agree that this has the greatest interest with least amount of
                available information. Anyone want to further elaborate?

                > 2. There is a need to print on different materials and surfaces of
                > various flat objects. This would apply to Printed Circuit Boards
                > (Inkjet_PCB user group), various objects, for example the top
                surface of a
                > box. The Inkjet_PCB group has modified regular printers to move on
                a rail
                > to accomplish that task. So in effect, both groups have that common
                goal.
                > By varying the rail height, any object height can be covered.

                There is actually two different points I think you are making here.

                The first being that you have objects of varying dimensions to which
                we could print or perhaps even add material onto a surface. This may
                require only a mechanical solution. I think the most effective way of
                obtaining a wide range of movement quickly is with the 3DOF parallel
                kinematic 'bot. Add a couple more axes on the head and you could print
                on any angular or curved surface.

                The last point is the actual materials used to produce a 'print out'
                whether is be 2D or 3D. Plastics (in liquid and solid form),
                gypsum/sugar powder, metallic powders, etc. each having its own unique
                method of bonding or solidifying the layers and particles into place.
                This, as has been discussed, is not wholly separate from the rest of
                the machine but does dictate some aspects of the design.

                .

                > 3. Finally there is the issue of how to dispense and
                accurately level
                > the powder for 3-D printing. That is really a separate issue and
                > independent of being able to print accurately on a flat surface.

                Agreed. If your on attempting 3D Printing activities, material
                delivery is important. This group has focused primarily on powder
                delivery in stacked form. In this configuration, controlling the
                height of the stack as each new layer is printed might provide better
                adherence between layers and a higher resolution object.

                > The more general purpose the systems are, the more people will be
                interested
                > and can contribute.

                To this end I would like to see some work into developing a more
                modular system, building block instructions if you will, so that
                others can experiment as well. Think legos for 3D printing. The lynch
                pin is the materials used to build up layers

                > For a prime example, a "moving" printer could as a limit print
                directly on a
                > flat surface, a desk top, PCBs, boxes or decorations and it would
                also work
                > perfectly for 3-D printing.

                You and I are beginning to read the same page! :)

                Joseph
                Owner/Moderator
              • gsi11135
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 19, 2009
                  Feel free to open the floor especially if you have any sort of
                  experience with commercial or experimental systems or a materials
                  background in general.

                  Choosing the material that you would like to create dimensional models
                  from will obviously dictate your delivery method and post processing,
                  if necessary. However, I do believe that some of the larger could be
                  developed regardless of the materials used to produce the 3D model.

                  I have seen various methodologies to deliver materials and the
                  materials themselves. Some use high power lasers to sinter materials
                  together and others use UV light while others, like our groups
                  discusses here, use inkjet heads. The final product material and
                  delivery system are inseparable.

                  Have you done and personal experimenting? Have any ideas on materials
                  or how to deliver the material to build up an object?

                  Would be a fantastic discussion topic!

                  "serge.vereecke" <serge.vereecke@...> wrote:

                  > Hi folks,
                  >
                  > I would like to discuss the different ways to come to results
                  > that would be satisfactory for 3D-printing (rapid prototyping).
                  > The usage of different plastics , resins, metalpowders or to
                  > use solids that can be cut out in layers and reassembled.
                  > The use of molten thermoplasts that can be sprayed in layers to build
                  > up a 3D-project.
                  > The combination of heathardening resins and metalpowders.
                  > There are theoretically hundreds of approaches to do this and
                  > each has it's benefits and disadvantages.
                  >

                  > Happy tinkering,
                  >
                  > Vereecke Serge.
                  >
                  > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "gsi11135"
                  > <gsi11135@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hey everyone!
                  > >
                  > > Speak up and let us know what you are doing as it pertains to 3D
                  > > printing? What are your ideas? What would you like to pursue?
                  > >
                  > > Get this conversation started!
                  > >
                  > > JOseph
                  > > Owner/Moderator

                • Boman33
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 19, 2009

                    Here are some more comments about the #2 “Universal Printer” I previously wrote about.

                    If a common printer was modified with the goal of printing on flat stationary objects of varying height it would be useful for many applications and user groups.  Some application would be decorating large objects, print PCBs, 3-D printing, and so on. The actual varying height mechanism is simple and can be an option.  I envision a printer moving on rails to print one page at a time.  This has obviously been done by different people and groups cannibalizing different mechanisms.

                    It would be nice if it could be cleanly done with an easily available printer and a construction procedure could be developed for duplicating it easily.

                    Part of this project would be the modified electronic drivers and presumably computer software to print a page at a time or a slice at a time.

                    My goal is not just to be able to make something 3-D, I what a quality part.

                    That brings us to the question of what printer to use and what technologies.  I think there is one milestone out there that we can use as a reference point and that is Z-corp.  We know that the printer and cartridges that they use works well.  By using the same or similar parts a very big unknown has been removed from our design list.  We could even buy the powder and liquid for initial testing or if high quality parts are required.

                    In the meantime, we can research low-cost alternatives to powers and binders but the printer would work by itself and it could be lifted off the 3-D printer machine and be used for other interesting applications, for example, to decorate a cake with edible inks.

                    Unfortunately, I am extremely busy now; work is interfering with my hobbies so I can only think about these projects now.

                    Bertho

                    From: gsi11135   Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 13:00

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 19, 2009
                      Thanks for the encouragement, Joseph. I have a bit of experience with Ruby on Rails programming, as well as a little HTML coding, but alas not JavaScript. I was planning to write up a blog post with all my thoughts on the idea, as well as make a few mockups using Balsamiq (http://balsamiq.com/). Hopefully this somewhat public commitment will spur me to do so very soon :~). I will post a link here when I do so.

                      Andrew

                      On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:23 PM, gsi11135 <gsi11135@...> wrote:

                      Andrew,

                      There may be a few people on this list who can program in JS and HTML
                      that you could team up with. There may be a few who are web designers
                      as well. Do have some programming experience in JS and HTML? Why not
                      write up your ideas with a block diagram of how you imagine your
                      system working internally and with the hardware and post it for comment?

                      Joseph
                      Owner/Moderator

                      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Andrew
                      Shindyapin <andrei.shindyapin@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Everyone,
                      >
                      > I've been a lurker for a while now. What I'd like to do with regards
                      to 3D
                      > printing is build a really simple 3D CAD app using JS on an HTML
                      canvas, and
                      > make it available for free, perhaps as a platform for building other
                      > services on top of. Unfortunately, my programming skills are not up
                      to par
                      > for such a project.
                      >
                      > Andrew

                      > On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:52 AM, gsi11135 <gsi11135@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Hey everyone!
                      > >
                      > > Speak up and let us know what you are doing as it pertains to 3D
                      > > printing? What are your ideas? What would you like to pursue?
                      > >
                      > > Get this conversation started!
                      > >
                      > > JOseph
                      > > Owner/Moderator

                    • Paul H
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 19, 2009
                        My goal is to make useful parts, directly. For the applications I wish to work with, I don't think powder resins I can cook up at home are going to cut it in terms of strength especially, and accuracy.

                        I am also very interested in lasers. So I am planning to build a selective laser sintering device. A reflector will be positioned over the work area to deflect a tightly focused laser beam onto the (usually metal) powder. I hope to get the beam focus down to around 0.5mm or less, hopefully using specially shaped reflectors instead of expensive ZnSe lenses for the far infrared wavelength laser I plan on using.

                        So instead of working with X,Y gantry/rails, I'll just have a swiveling mirror to contend with. A complication is that the mirror will require cooling and a constant blast of air pressure to buffer it from contaminants rising out of the work area and settling onto the mirror. Not to mention the drive circuitry and software will have to map the spherical movement of the beam onto a flat 2D surface.

                        I really like the idea of SLS for 3D printing, but the number of hurdles are considerable. For my proof of concept I can probably only afford about 20-50 watts used IR laser; the final version will be much larger, capable of very fast feed rates requiring a laser of 100s of watts which I have been designing over the last few months.

                        Eventually I had to decide what aspect of this project interested me more: designing a huge flowing gas CO2 laser (with very complex cooling requirements, the overall device easily outgrowing a 2400W mains outlet!) or the functionality of the SLS machine itself. It was a tough choice, so I'll start off small and buy a small used laser. Hopefully from that experience I'll be able to determine what power laser and focusing/deflection solutions will be needed to get the performance I'm chasing. But even choosing a laser is difficult; a cheap 100 watt laser could still be useless if the beam quality isn't sufficient to focus and deflect it as I hope to...

                        I anticipate this will take around 12 months of my spare time to get a functional prototype with probably disappointing performance; I haven't tried to think too much about adding layers of metal powder yet, I'll just focus on being able to draw the first layer for now.

                        I must now acquire more tools, including a CNC lathe; thanks to the unfortunate global economy there is some very impressive CNC gear going cheap as machine shops continue to lose business. In 2010 I hope I'll have started on my SLS machine Mk-II. But it's entirely possible this will be yet another project that I never finish :-)

                        Make Yahoo!7 your homepage and win a trip to the Quiksilver Pro. Find out more
                      • gsi11135
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 20, 2009
                          Andrew,

                          Your welcome. I hope that, as you learn more about writing software,
                          having an open forum on which you are able to discuss the challenges
                          you may encounter. I would encourage you to find a partner with a
                          skill set that augments those areas you have which are not as strong.
                          Of course, the way to learn something may just be to jump in to see
                          what you can accomplish if you are so inclined.

                          Let us know about your posts. I eagerly await your write up.

                          diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com<diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication%40yahoogroups.com>,
                          > > Andrew
                          > > Shindyapin <andrei.shindyapin@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hi Everyone,
                          > > >
                          > > > I've been a lurker for a while now. What I'd like to do with regards
                          > > to 3D
                          > > > printing is build a really simple 3D CAD app using JS on an HTML
                          > > canvas, and
                          > > > make it available for free, perhaps as a platform for building other
                          > > > services on top of. Unfortunately, my programming skills are not up
                          > > to par
                          > > > for such a project.
                          > > >
                          > > > Andrew

                        • Andrew Shindyapin
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 24, 2009
                            Hi Everyone,

                            This is my blog post about the really simple 3D CAD app using JS on an HTML canvas that I've been thinking about for a while now:

                            http://hacking-shindyapin.tumblr.com/post/81098359/3d-cad-as-a-js-app

                            Your comments/suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

                            Andrew

                          • gsi11135
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 25, 2009
                              Please put links in the links section...Thanks.