Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Build table sizes.

  • Fernando
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 6, 2011
      It is a matter of preference whether you want a printer that is able to produce large prints with lower resolutions or small prints are high res. In this group there are people going both ways, with the high res people doing some sort of projector mod to achieve smaller images and shorter focusing distances. This is generally achieved by forwarding the optics module, aka moving the optics module away from the DMD unit, or if you are lucky with your projector model, just popping a stopper out of your focusing mechanism, making it possible to focus shorter.

      As for the ANSI, 2300 is more than I have and I am able to cure large 170x130mm areas at +/-0.1mm layer depth with a couple of my most reactive resins. So I think you are roughly in the game with your equipment.

      On 12/06/2011 05:50 AM, Michael Joyce wrote:

      I just modified mine, slightly.  There was some adjustment available on the focus stop.  Now I can get down to 140 x 105mm, approximately .137 mm per pixel.
      Looks like a pretty easy mod to put in a small spacer as well.
      Still, I'll probably want a vat that's ~ 200 x 125 mm or so to accommodate a WUXGA (1920 x 1200) projector at .1mm pixel res.
      MikeJ

      On 12/5/2011 9:22 PM, Lino wrote:

      People are augmenting their lenses to shoot images that are smaller with more details just fyi

    Message 2 of 17 , Dec 6, 2011
      If you need a better resolution later there will be no need to modify or change the projector. Look at Envision**c's Pixel Shift technology.
      You slice the STL and get an image, then you move it 1/2 pixel in X and Y and slice again. Logical "AND" the two resulting images and you have effectively doubled the resolution of the printer. BTW. the pixel shifting is not new and not Envision**c's thou they have a patent I think.

      PZ.
      http://3dlprint.com
      Mirror http://3dlprint.blogspot.com

      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Michael Joyce <MikeJ@...> wrote:

      > I just modified mine, slightly. There was some adjustment available on
      > the focus stop. Now I can get down to 140 x 105mm, approximately .137
      > mm per pixel.
      > Looks like a pretty easy mod to put in a small spacer as well.
      > Still, I'll probably want a vat that's ~ 200 x 125 mm or so to
      > accommodate a WUXGA (1920 x 1200) projector at .1mm pixel res.
      > MikeJ
      >

      > On 12/5/2011 9:22 PM, Lino wrote:
      > >

      > > People are augmenting their lenses to shoot images that are smaller
      > > with more details just fyi

    • Michael Couch
      Message 3 of 17 , Dec 6, 2011
        I'd love to have this info but it did not stay together in a way that can be read through email. Can you reformat it for text only emails?

        Michael

      • Michael Joyce
        Message 4 of 17 , Dec 6, 2011
        I've attached the excel spreadsheet that I used to create it. That way
        you can enter different pixel resolutions and get updated tables.
        MikeJ

        Message 5 of 17 , Dec 6, 2011
          Thank´s Mike

          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Michael Joyce <MikeJ@...> wrote:

          > I've attached the excel spreadsheet that I used to create it. That way
          > you can enter different pixel resolutions and get updated tables.
          > MikeJ
          >

          > On 12/6/2011 5:47 PM, Michael Couch wrote:
          > > I'd love to have this info but it did not stay together in a way that can be read through email. Can you reformat it for text only emails?
          > >
          > > Michael
          > >
          > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Michael Joyce<MikeJ@> wrote:
          > >> The DLP projector that I happen to have on hand is a XGA (1024 x 768)
          > >> machine.
          > >> Without modification of the lens/focus capability, the smallest x-y
          > >> build table I can clearly project is about 170mm x 127mm.
          > >> That's a pixel size of .166 mm. Not the best resolution but maybe OK?
          > >> The other issue is cure time/depth with only 2300 lumens.
          > >> Any thoughts on table size vs lumens ?
          > >> MikeJ

        • Fernando
          Message 6 of 17 , Dec 7, 2011
            Brilliant: simple and very useful
            Thanks!

            On 12/07/2011 08:41 AM, afogassa wrote:

            Thank´s Mike

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Michael Joyce <MikeJ@...> wrote:

            > I've attached the excel spreadsheet that I used to create it. That way
            > you can enter different pixel resolutions and get updated tables.
            > MikeJ
            >

            > On 12/6/2011 5:47 PM, Michael Couch wrote:
            > > I'd love to have this info but it did not stay together in a way that can be read through email. Can you reformat it for text only emails?
            > >
            > > Michael
            > >
            > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Michael Joyce<MikeJ@> wrote:
            > >> The DLP projector that I happen to have on hand is a XGA (1024 x 768)
            > >> machine.
            > >> Without modification of the lens/focus capability, the smallest x-y
            > >> build table I can clearly project is about 170mm x 127mm.
            > >> That's a pixel size of .166 mm. Not the best resolution but maybe OK?
            > >> The other issue is cure time/depth with only 2300 lumens.
            > >> Any thoughts on table size vs lumens ?
            > >> MikeJ

          • Michael Joyce
            Message 7 of 17 , Dec 7, 2011
              PZ,
              I'm trying to understand this technique, it seems more of a way to
              "smooth" curved surfaces than to increase resolution.
              For example, if I wish to build a simple 1.15 mm x 1.15 mm x 1.15 mm
              cube but my minimum projected pixel is .1 mm, how can this technique help?
              I fail to see any manner of software manipulation of the image that will
              allow for any final dimensions other than 1.10 or 1.20?

              MikeJ

              Message 8 of 17 , Dec 7, 2011
                Is that how the "interpolated" resolution claims on cameras work?

                Michael

                Message 9 of 17 , Dec 7, 2011
                  @MikeJ It is a way of smoothing and in effect you get parts quality like they were printed at double the resolution. In your example it will be possible to get the smoothness of 50 micron resolution out of 100 micron machine. It will not make the machine do 50 microns.Just the result will be as smooth as if it was printed on a machine with the 50 micron resolution.

                  PZ.

                  Message 10 of 17 , Dec 7, 2011
                    Exactly Michael. It is in a way producing shades of gray at the edges of an otherwise black and white bordered image, thus when curing it is smoother.

                    PZ.