Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Build table sizes.

  • Michael Joyce
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 5, 2011
      I just modified mine, slightly.  There was some adjustment available on the focus stop.  Now I can get down to 140 x 105mm, approximately .137 mm per pixel.
      Looks like a pretty easy mod to put in a small spacer as well.
      Still, I'll probably want a vat that's ~ 200 x 125 mm or so to accommodate a WUXGA (1920 x 1200) projector at .1mm pixel res.
      MikeJ

      People are augmenting their lenses to shoot images that are smaller with more details just fyi

        --
        "Measure Twice, Cut Once"
        http://www.B9Creations.com

      Message 3 of 17 , Dec 6, 2011
        If you need a better resolution later there will be no need to modify or change the projector. Look at Envision**c's Pixel Shift technology.
        You slice the STL and get an image, then you move it 1/2 pixel in X and Y and slice again. Logical "AND" the two resulting images and you have effectively doubled the resolution of the printer. BTW. the pixel shifting is not new and not Envision**c's thou they have a patent I think.

        PZ.
        http://3dlprint.com
        Mirror http://3dlprint.blogspot.com

        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Michael Joyce <MikeJ@...> wrote:

        > I just modified mine, slightly. There was some adjustment available on
        > the focus stop. Now I can get down to 140 x 105mm, approximately .137
        > mm per pixel.
        > Looks like a pretty easy mod to put in a small spacer as well.
        > Still, I'll probably want a vat that's ~ 200 x 125 mm or so to
        > accommodate a WUXGA (1920 x 1200) projector at .1mm pixel res.
        > MikeJ
        >

        > On 12/5/2011 9:22 PM, Lino wrote:
        > >

        > > People are augmenting their lenses to shoot images that are smaller
        > > with more details just fyi

      • Michael Couch
        Message 4 of 17 , Dec 6, 2011
          I'd love to have this info but it did not stay together in a way that can be read through email. Can you reformat it for text only emails?

          Michael

        • Michael Joyce
          Message 5 of 17 , Dec 6, 2011
          I've attached the excel spreadsheet that I used to create it. That way
          you can enter different pixel resolutions and get updated tables.
          MikeJ

          Message 6 of 17 , Dec 6, 2011
            Thank´s Mike

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Michael Joyce <MikeJ@...> wrote:

            > I've attached the excel spreadsheet that I used to create it. That way
            > you can enter different pixel resolutions and get updated tables.
            > MikeJ
            >

            > On 12/6/2011 5:47 PM, Michael Couch wrote:
            > > I'd love to have this info but it did not stay together in a way that can be read through email. Can you reformat it for text only emails?
            > >
            > > Michael
            > >
            > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Michael Joyce<MikeJ@> wrote:
            > >> The DLP projector that I happen to have on hand is a XGA (1024 x 768)
            > >> machine.
            > >> Without modification of the lens/focus capability, the smallest x-y
            > >> build table I can clearly project is about 170mm x 127mm.
            > >> That's a pixel size of .166 mm. Not the best resolution but maybe OK?
            > >> The other issue is cure time/depth with only 2300 lumens.
            > >> Any thoughts on table size vs lumens ?
            > >> MikeJ

          • Fernando
            Message 7 of 17 , Dec 7, 2011
              Brilliant: simple and very useful
              Thanks!

              On 12/07/2011 08:41 AM, afogassa wrote:

              Thank´s Mike

              --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Michael Joyce <MikeJ@...> wrote:

              > I've attached the excel spreadsheet that I used to create it. That way
              > you can enter different pixel resolutions and get updated tables.
              > MikeJ
              >

              > On 12/6/2011 5:47 PM, Michael Couch wrote:
              > > I'd love to have this info but it did not stay together in a way that can be read through email. Can you reformat it for text only emails?
              > >
              > > Michael
              > >
              > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Michael Joyce<MikeJ@> wrote:
              > >> The DLP projector that I happen to have on hand is a XGA (1024 x 768)
              > >> machine.
              > >> Without modification of the lens/focus capability, the smallest x-y
              > >> build table I can clearly project is about 170mm x 127mm.
              > >> That's a pixel size of .166 mm. Not the best resolution but maybe OK?
              > >> The other issue is cure time/depth with only 2300 lumens.
              > >> Any thoughts on table size vs lumens ?
              > >> MikeJ

            • Michael Joyce
              Message 8 of 17 , Dec 7, 2011
                PZ,
                I'm trying to understand this technique, it seems more of a way to
                "smooth" curved surfaces than to increase resolution.
                For example, if I wish to build a simple 1.15 mm x 1.15 mm x 1.15 mm
                cube but my minimum projected pixel is .1 mm, how can this technique help?
                I fail to see any manner of software manipulation of the image that will
                allow for any final dimensions other than 1.10 or 1.20?

                MikeJ

                Message 9 of 17 , Dec 7, 2011
                  Is that how the "interpolated" resolution claims on cameras work?

                  Michael

                  Message 10 of 17 , Dec 7, 2011
                    @MikeJ It is a way of smoothing and in effect you get parts quality like they were printed at double the resolution. In your example it will be possible to get the smoothness of 50 micron resolution out of 100 micron machine. It will not make the machine do 50 microns.Just the result will be as smooth as if it was printed on a machine with the 50 micron resolution.

                    PZ.

                    Message 11 of 17 , Dec 7, 2011
                      Exactly Michael. It is in a way producing shades of gray at the edges of an otherwise black and white bordered image, thus when curing it is smoother.

                      PZ.