New to 3D printing

  • farmboy_k
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2011
      Hello guys, have been workin on reading some of the threads on here and have a lot more to read but wondering what computer programs you use or file types you need to get a file to print in a 3d printer.

      Is there a way of scaling an 3D modeled OBJ file to a right size and direct printing or how would one go about that whole process?

      The item I want printed can also be saved as a
      3ds Max 8 (.max),3D Studio (.3ds), Cinema 4D 8 (.c4d), Autodesk FBX (.fbx), Lightwave (.lwo, .lw, .lws), Maya 8 (.ma, .mb),Softimage (.hrc, .xsi)

      but I know nothing about these types or the programs they are used in.

      Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

      Thanks
      Kent
    • Jamie Cunningham
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2011
        You should be able to scale the OBJ file - you'll need something to open it in - some 3D program (Maya, Lightwave, 3D Studio, Blender etc) - which one to pick is a discussion that has lasted decades ;)

        from there I would export as STL, which is what *my* set up uses (Reprap with Sprinter, Pronterface and SFACT) and then you can print it

        Jamie
        Check out my CNC projects (and more) at http://www.backyard-workshop.com

        On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 11:22 AM, farmboy_k <kdloewen@...> wrote:

        Hello guys, have been workin on reading some of the threads on here and have a lot more to read but wondering what computer programs you use or file types you need to get a file to print in a 3d printer.

        Is there a way of scaling an 3D modeled OBJ file to a right size and direct printing or how would one go about that whole process?

        The item I want printed can also be saved as a
        3ds Max 8 (.max),3D Studio (.3ds), Cinema 4D 8 (.c4d), Autodesk FBX (.fbx), Lightwave (.lwo, .lw, .lws), Maya 8 (.ma, .mb),Softimage (.hrc, .xsi)

        but I know nothing about these types or the programs they are used in.

        Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

        Thanks
        Kent

      • Lino
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2011

          Kent, meshlab will help you with scaling many of those file types. Also for those filetypes that it will not import 3d object converter will do the rest. I know for a fact that meshlab will handle obj’s. But in order to print them you’ll need to convert them to stl or something equivalent. All those programs are free.

          lino