Fillers

  • vrsculptor@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30 8:43 AM
      I was considering using fillers to reduce printing cost per inch. The thermal angle never occurred to me. I have local access to West System fillers. If I were to experiment with a filler and Dymax which would you suggest starting with?

      West Systems fillers:
      406 Colloidal Silica is a thickening additive used to control the viscosity of the epoxy and prevent epoxy runoff in vertical and overhead joints. 406 is a very strong filler that creates a smooth mixture, ideal for general bonding and filleting. It is also our most versatile filler. Often used in combination with other fillers, it can be used to improve strength, abrasion resistance, and consistency of fairing compounds, resulting in a tougher, smoother surface.

      407 Low-Density filler is a blended microballoon-based filler used to make fairing putties that are easy to sand or carve. Reasonably strong on a strength-to-weight basis. Cures to a dark red/brown color.

      410 Microlight™ is the ideal low-density filler for creating a light, easily-worked fairing compound especially suited for fairing large areas. Microlight mixes with greater ease than 407 Low-Density filler or microballoons and is approximately 30% easier to sand. It feathers to a fine edge and is also more economical for large fairing jobs. Not recommended under dark paint or other surfaces subject to high temperatures. Cures to a tan color.

      Roger
    • Fernando
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2011
        I would go with microbaloons of the fines graining.
        Colloidal Silica (also fused Silica) helps for pigment carrying and
        suspension of the microballoons. But little should be used as the
        viscosity skyrockets and that's no good for our uses. You don't want to
        end up with a paste.

        I would try the 410, as it seems to have a finer structure.

        I myslef would like to find a source of 3M microballoons, as they offer
        standardized grain sizes. I know they have a 20 to 40um microballoon
        (W-210...) product which I think would be ideal for our resolutions.