Re: Question: Your 3D DLP printer project status

    Message 1 of 44 , Sep 12, 2011
      @Roger

      I'm a Solid 6 and a maybe closer to 7.

      @Group Follow the progress on my build at:

      http://www.3dlprint.com

      Cheers to all!

      p.s. I have both the time+money problems like all + a demanding 2yo toddler, but I just push on.
      I try to source and use parts with minimum modification. I try to stick to three tools - Ratchet wrench, screwdriver, hand drill.

      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, vrsculptor@... wrote:

      > Jason, Jon,
      > While I share your concerns (ask Marriss about 4000 series CMOS) about obsolescence this project shouldn't really require much projector hacking. The only thing I needed to do was to hack the focus ring (see vrsculptor photo folder). I'm not tied to any DLP projector and lord knows there are enough brands out there not to run out for several years. As long as you stick to more or less visible light resins any DLP projector should work.
      >
      > If you try to convert a DLP to UV I think you are in big trouble. I also looked for and could not find UV chips. But again, that isn't really necessary. The production machines use visible light and so does (did?) Juniors.
      >
      > Stepper motors and drivers, the only other high tech component, are available everywhere. I'm recycling a Gecko and a way to big stepper.
      >
      > I also have a big CNC mill, lathe and laser cutter but did not required them (well did use laser to cut shims but could have done by hand) in order to get as far as I have come. Mostly relied on saw, drill press, drill and tape measure. Nothing too intimidating.
      >
      > Will post frame, projector mount and resin tests starting in next few days.
      >
      > Roger
      >
      > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Jason Wehmhoener wrote:
      > > >

      > > > I also have specific concerns about pursuing a plan that requires
      > > > hacking a used piece of commercial equipment. What happens when that
      > > > piece of equipment becomes difficult to obtain? I'd be much happier if
      > > > the entire design was built from scratch using easy-to-acquire
      > > > off-the-shelf components and required no hacking whatsoever.
      > > >
      > > This is a real problem, too. I am a manufacturer of electronic devices
      > > for the motion control
      > > industry, and obtaining parts is a CONSTANT headache. Either parts
      > > become hard to get,
      > > or are just taken off the market arbitrarily by the manufacturer with no
      > > substitute. I have had
      > > to redesign circuit boards countless times because commonly available
      > > parts suddenly become
      > > obsolete.
      > >
      > > The digital micromirror devices from TI are not sold without a license
      > > from TI, so you can just
      > > FORGET about buying them. Some may be available on the gray market, but
      > > if you try to
      > > look the parts up on franchised distributors sites, you will find they
      > > are not available to the
      > > general public.
      > >
      > > Jon

    • Boman33
      Message 44 of 44 , Sep 16, 2011

        I think the very significant issue here is that 3D Systems can provide their high quality software to drive the Rapman printers.  Presumably they will put some limitations in it so it will not compete with their high-end printers.  Hopefully they will include the scaffolding option in the software.  It looks like one of the printers is a dual head model.

        Bertho

        From: techartisan   Sent: Friday, September 16, 2011 19:27
        Alibre is a Modeling Software company that was recently brought into the 3DSystems conglomeration....
        http://www.3dsystems.com/content/news/releases/pdf/071911%203D%20Systems%20Acquires%20Alibre.pdf
        These printers are just their pages distribution of 3dsystems Personal printers
        http://www.3dsystems.com/content/personal-3dprinters/
        The real value of Alibre lies here...
        http://www.alibre.com/products/default.asp