Question: Your 3D DLP printer project status

  • vrsculptor@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 44 , Sep 12, 2011
      I'm getting the feeling that after an initial burst of enthusiasm for building a 3D DLP printer that there are few left actually working on seriously working the technology or building a printer. Could you please respond to this post with your current level(s) of involvement?
      1) Neat idea, may do someday.
      2) Waiting for Junior.
      3) Am planning to build one in the future after all the tech is worked out.
      4) I'm not building yet but have ordered or are collecting the pieces to build.
      5) I'm working on a specific piece of the technology, such as resins, release, software, basements...
      6) I've started building
      7) Build completed/mostly completed and I've started testing.
      8) I started building but have hit a brick wall. Sort of like I've fallen and can't get up.
      9) I have a specific concern that is preventing me from starting. I would really like to know what your concern might be so we can work the issue and others will not be blindsided.
      I'm a 6 (building) with some 9 (concerns) and am definitely am not waiting for Junior.

      I have a real concerns about the resin curing process (not the resins themselves) related to dye, layer thickness and layer exposure. I know it must work because I've seen the results but I've got concerns and an understanding gap that only actually testing will resolve. My build is complete to the extent of frame, projector mount and close focus. I will proceed to resin testing using Dymax (purchased previously) and unfinished projector. If all works out will proceed with build.

      Houston, we are on hold at T-30.

      Roger
    • Boman33
      Message 44 of 44 , Sep 16, 2011

        I think the very significant issue here is that 3D Systems can provide their high quality software to drive the Rapman printers.  Presumably they will put some limitations in it so it will not compete with their high-end printers.  Hopefully they will include the scaffolding option in the software.  It looks like one of the printers is a dual head model.

        Bertho

        From: techartisan   Sent: Friday, September 16, 2011 19:27
        Alibre is a Modeling Software company that was recently brought into the 3DSystems conglomeration....
        http://www.3dsystems.com/content/news/releases/pdf/071911%203D%20Systems%20Acquires%20Alibre.pdf
        These printers are just their pages distribution of 3dsystems Personal printers
        http://www.3dsystems.com/content/personal-3dprinters/
        The real value of Alibre lies here...
        http://www.alibre.com/products/default.asp