Problem understanding the rotary encoder outputs

  • cheahmeng6692
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2011
      Hi,

      I tried to turn HP3940 printer into 3D printer by making use of the 'paper out' situation to pause the printing and perform my z axis movements. I plan to remove the rotary encoder and make my microcontroller generate only the necessary pulses (eliminate printhead cleaning & etc.)

      However, from the signals I captured, I still can't fully analyze it and there are some doubts as well. For example, can I just eliminate the printhead cleaning signals and send only the paper feed and printing signals? Besides that, during printing, different spacing will result in different step of signals, is there any way to know how many pulses should I send in order to move to the spacing I want?
    • vrsculptor@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2011
        My 2 cents for what its worth. I wasn't successful.

        You need to look in the message archives. There is a lot of information there, both successes and failures. My experience is that you can't interrupt the various cycles unless you get rid of the existing controller which makes you responsible for everything including driving the print head. Speed is an issue. You will probably need an FPGA and not an Arduino. I don't know how to drive the without the (unobtainable) HP proprietary documentation.

        Those who have been successful converting a printer have made as few mods to the printer as possible to convert it.

        Not all of the HP printers use quadrature encodes. Some of them are grey scale. You are better off adding your own encoder rather than replacing the original.

        Also see: <http://gearotic.com/ESW/FavIcons/index.php?topic=294.0>. Art's playing with the idea.

        Roger

        > Hi,
        >
        > I tried to turn HP3940 printer into 3D printer by making use of the 'paper out' situation to pause the printing and perform my z axis movements. I plan to remove the rotary encoder and make my microcontroller generate only the necessary pulses (eliminate printhead cleaning & etc.)
        >
        > However, from the signals I captured, I still can't fully analyze it and there are some doubts as well. For example, can I just eliminate the printhead cleaning signals and send only the paper feed and printing signals? Besides that, during printing, different spacing will result in different step of signals, is there any way to know how many pulses should I send in order to move to the spacing I want?

      • Michael Couch
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2011
          Have you seen the Maximite? It is a MMBasic computer with 20 i/o lines fully programmable from basic. You might have to build it yourself as it is only available from Aussieland. I'm looking into becoming a source in the U.S. though. It even has a keyboard in and monitor out port so you don't even need a computer to program it. However, you can just USB it as well.

          It is much like the early TRS-80s or Commodore 64s only 32 bit and much faster with plenty of i/o under direct program control.

          Michael Couch