Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] 3d printer powder

  • Maxi Bertotto
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 27, 2008
      Its very intreting Afogassa!!! Thank you for share it!!! I want to see that pictures!!!
      Tiwanacote

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 28, 2008
        Hi Afogassa

        I have found this powder on the net , I guess some similar powder exist
        in an other country with an other name ,they say this powder should be
        mixed
        with water then is hard as ceramic when it's dry........
        here is the link in french for Plastiform powder:

        http://www.geant-beaux-arts.fr/Plastiform1-modelage.htm?af=2

        I was first looking for a kind of Flymo paste but as powder package ,it
        need oven drying process , Plastiform as paste need 48h per cm thickness
        without oven dying process..

        thierry

        > here is a description of what the powder is made of.
        > It's just dental plaster ( Durone 4 Brand) + 30% of weight
        > maltodextrin( midway brand, guarana with acai flavor).
        > I did try some other flavors but it doesn't work well as this one.
        > I don't know why, maybe the guarana or acai helps on bonding.
        > I did try just maltodextrose but it won't work as good as the one
        > mentioned.
        > I'm using just destilated water on the printer cartridge.
        > the heater on the building chamber helps the water to dry out
        > faster,and stay on that layer only.Plus the models won't need to go to
        > the owen to dry out.It's made of a 40w soldering iron screwed to the
        > alluminum plate on the building bin.
        > I'll be posting more pictures of next week.

      • Paulo Cesar de Abreu
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 28, 2008
          these patents have some formulas for the powder and binder:
          http://br.geocities.com/sid3622/patents/

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 29, 2008

            Use www.google.com/patents to look for tatents, there are a lot of information...

            Tiwanacote

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 29, 2008
              Hi Paulo

              First ,thanks for these great links ..
              the third seems to match the Plastiform ,there is a missmatching translation
              btw plastiform in french and english which is related with magnetic
              powder..
              maybe rare earth ground magnetic stuff , I have tried to find a english
              clone
              for plastiform without success..Plastiroc exist but you have to find the
              powder
              packaging..no ideas about that ???.

              Don't means any illegal such patented powders use with homebrewed 3d
              printers..no ?

              I didn't yet make a 3d printer ,just tried to find a compatable "plastic"
              tube allowing to
              apply the powder without any glueing problem ( testing with natural
              alginate dental plaster) ,I found one
              but it's impossible to describe what kind of material is used .

              I have highllightly polished the plastic with natural cotton FOR car paint
              polishing ,I think it's better than
              glass , something to survey is the electrostatic charge and
              discharge.......as laser printers..maybe
              to ground the tube at each end side could prevent from electrostatic
              problems.Some resin addition into
              plaster (from Paris) are naturally electrostatic.
              I have made a misstake about Flymo...oops..Fimo is the right name...sorry

              thanks again forthe patents link
              (sometime, too much patents kill the invention)

              cheers
              thierry

              > these patents have some formulas for the powder and binder:
              > http://br.geocities.com/sid3622/patents/
              >
              > <th.carel@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Hi Afogassa
              >>
              >> I have found this powder on the net , I guess some similar powder exist
              >> in an other country with an other name ,they say this powder should be
              >> mixed
              >> with water then is hard as ceramic when it's dry........
              >> here is the link in french for Plastiform powder:
              >>
              >> http://www.geant-beaux-arts.fr/Plastiform1-modelage.htm?af=2
              >>
              >> I was first looking for a kind of Flymo paste but as powder package ,it
              >> need oven drying process , Plastiform as paste need 48h per cm thickness
              >> without oven dying process..
              >>

              >> thierry

            • Steve
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 30, 2008
                If there are static problems (I think that is what you meant by
                "glueing" (sic)) then grounding a plastic tube won't have any effect.

                You need a plastic that is slightly conductive. Or just use a metal
                tube/rod that is grounded.

                Steve Greenfield

                --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "th.carel"
                <th.carel@...> wrote:

                > Hi Paulo

                > I didn't yet make a 3d printer ,just tried to find a compatable
                "plastic"
                > tube allowing to
                > apply the powder without any glueing problem ( testing with natural
                > alginate dental plaster) ,I found one
                > but it's impossible to describe what kind of material is used .
                >
                > I have highllightly polished the plastic with natural cotton FOR
                car paint
                > polishing ,I think it's better than
                > glass , something to survey is the electrostatic charge and
                > discharge.......as laser printers..maybe
                > to ground the tube at each end side could prevent from electrostatic
                > problems.Some resin addition into
                > plaster (from Paris) are naturally electrostatic.
              • Andrew Werby
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 30, 2008

                  Date: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:44 am ((PDT)

                  I didn't yet make a 3d printer ,just tried to find a compatable "plastic"
                  tube allowing to

                  apply the powder without any glueing problem ( testing with natural
                  alginate dental plaster) ,I found one

                  but it's impossible to describe what kind of material is used .

                  [I'm having a little difficulty in understanding what you're
                  looking for, or trying to do, but it seems like you've got some
                  incorrect ideas about the 3d printing process. In the powder-bed RP
                  systems we were discussing, the plastic tubes are used for conveying
                  the liquid binder, not the powder. And dental alginate is not a
                  plaster; it's a seaweed based material that sets as a flexible gel when
                  mixed with water. Dentists typically use it as a mold for plaster.]

                  Andrew Werby

                  www.computersculpture.com
                • th.carel
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 30, 2008
                    Hi Andrew

                    >And dental alginate is not a
                    plaster; it's a seaweed based material that sets as a flexible gel when
                    mixed with water. Dentists typically use it as a mold for plaster.]<

                    thanks to correct me , means dental plaster is something more related with
                    plaster of Paris ,
                    but more accurate or a faster or longer drying "window" time, isn't it ?

                    I should have dropped the binder conveyor chapter ...oops.
                    I have to give look closer back again at the last messages.. and check the
                    dictionnary.

                    br
                    thierry