UV Post Cure and Oto Flash - Envision**c

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2011
      Hi Group,
      I was looking at cheap post cure options and found the following:

      1. Cosmetic Nail Dryer - $50
      2. OtoFlash - $3500!
      3. BL and BLB lights - $4-$10
      4. UV LED flood Light - $1 x 20~40
      5. Animal ( reptile UV bulbs ) - $70
      6. Xenon Strobe lights - $20 - $50
      7. Medical Sun ray lamps - $100
      8. For repair of defects - UV light pen - $20

      1. Relatively Cheap, readily available and bulbs are easy to find.
      2. Extremely expensive for a Hobby, but maybe some strobe light can replace it.
      3. Insecticide lamps and the black tube ( like fluorescent ) is cheap and available. Easily constructable DIY version.
      4. DIY from UV LEDs, but very tight ( depends on the wavelength of the LEDs) spectrum.
      5. Again easy to find - Relatively cheap
      6. Cheap and easy to modify.
      7. Relatively cheap - high wattage.
      8. To spot weld defects with resin.

      The 2 and 6 are very similar since the OtoFlash is essentially a controlled Strobe Light Unit - capable of flashing a certain number of flashes to achieve a certain mW/cm^2 to post cure resins.

      Once I have the completed machine I'll start the construction of a post cure unit ( for those rainy or snowy days LOL).

      I'm open to any suggestions.
    • Spacecaptain
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 2011
        I would definitley go with the BL or BLB tubes.
        They are cheap, last long hours and work with off the shelve ballasts.
        I have a Philips 40W like that at home and used it for UV curing resins with good results.
        It would be easy to build a curing oven with a number of those tubes for little money.
        I won't because I have plenty of sun where I live, even in winter :)

        On 07/08/2011 02:13 PM, pzamov wrote:

[...]

      • Boman33
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 2011

          I have a commercial 400W light curing lamp that obviously puts out lots of UV.  What is often overlooked is that 400W of power is going into the bulb and 400 W is coming out.  In effect all of that will end up as heat even if started as UV or visible light.  In other words, to avoid also melting your sample consider the UV lamp as a 400W concentrated heat lamp.

          Here is some more info:

          http://www.dymax.com/pdf/articles/lit018_uv_light_selection_requires_fitting_lamp_article.pdf

          http://www.dymax.com/pdf/literature/lit010a_guide_to_uv_light_curing_systems.pdf

          http://www.dymax.com/products/curing_equipment/bulbs/index.php

          A 400W UV bulb for $23 in single qty:

          http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/ecart/20Review.asp

          Most of these type of bulbs require a proper ballast and starter.  I see several ones on eBay now, look for lightwelder PC-2

          Bertho

          From pzamov   Sent: Friday, July 08, 2011 08:13

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 14, 2014

            Hi Group,

            I have posted it before, but here is the post-cure strobe flash from a music store strobe ( 150W ) each - there are two of them. I have added a counter that when it reaches the set flashes it opens the contacts feeding the strobes and waits for reset or restart.

            Cheers!

            Peter

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 15, 2014

              Forgot to paste ROFLMAO