3d printer powder

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 27, 2008
      here is a description of what the powder is made of.
      It's just dental plaster ( Durone 4 Brand) + 30% of weight
      maltodextrin( midway brand, guarana with acai flavor).
      I did try some other flavors but it doesn't work well as this one.
      I don't know why, maybe the guarana or acai helps on bonding.
      I did try just maltodextrose but it won't work as good as the one
      mentioned.
      I'm using just destilated water on the printer cartridge.
      the heater on the building chamber helps the water to dry out
      faster,and stay on that layer only.Plus the models won't need to go to
      the owen to dry out.It's made of a 40w soldering iron screwed to the
      alluminum plate on the building bin.
      I'll be posting more pictures of next week.
    • Maxi Bertotto
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 27, 2008
        Its very intreting Afogassa!!! Thank you for share it!!! I want to see that pictures!!!
        Tiwanacote

        here is a description of what the powder is made of.
        It's just dental plaster ( Durone 4 Brand) + 30% of weight
        maltodextrin( midway brand, guarana with acai flavor).
        I did try some other flavors but it doesn't work well as this one.
        I don't know why, maybe the guarana or acai helps on bonding.
        I did try just maltodextrose but it won't work as good as the one
        mentioned.
        I'm using just destilated water on the printer cartridge.
        the heater on the building chamber helps the water to dry out
        faster,and stay on that layer only.Plus the models won't need to go to
        the owen to dry out.It's made of a 40w soldering iron screwed to the
        alluminum plate on the building bin.
        I'll be posting more pictures of next week.

        ¡Buscá desde tu celular! Yahoo! oneSEARCH ahora está en Claro
        http://ar.mobile.yahoo.com/onesearch
      • th.carel
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 28, 2008
          Hi Afogassa

          I have found this powder on the net , I guess some similar powder exist
          in an other country with an other name ,they say this powder should be
          mixed
          with water then is hard as ceramic when it's dry........
          here is the link in french for Plastiform powder:

          http://www.geant-beaux-arts.fr/Plastiform1-modelage.htm?af=2

          I was first looking for a kind of Flymo paste but as powder package ,it
          need oven drying process , Plastiform as paste need 48h per cm thickness
          without oven dying process..

          thierry

          > here is a description of what the powder is made of.
          > It's just dental plaster ( Durone 4 Brand) + 30% of weight
          > maltodextrin( midway brand, guarana with acai flavor).
          > I did try some other flavors but it doesn't work well as this one.
          > I don't know why, maybe the guarana or acai helps on bonding.
          > I did try just maltodextrose but it won't work as good as the one
          > mentioned.
          > I'm using just destilated water on the printer cartridge.
          > the heater on the building chamber helps the water to dry out
          > faster,and stay on that layer only.Plus the models won't need to go to
          > the owen to dry out.It's made of a 40w soldering iron screwed to the
          > alluminum plate on the building bin.
          > I'll be posting more pictures of next week.

        • Paulo Cesar de Abreu
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 28, 2008
            these patents have some formulas for the powder and binder:
            http://br.geocities.com/sid3622/patents/

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 29, 2008

              Use www.google.com/patents to look for tatents, there are a lot of information...

              Tiwanacote

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 29, 2008
                Hi Paulo

                First ,thanks for these great links ..
                the third seems to match the Plastiform ,there is a missmatching translation
                btw plastiform in french and english which is related with magnetic
                powder..
                maybe rare earth ground magnetic stuff , I have tried to find a english
                clone
                for plastiform without success..Plastiroc exist but you have to find the
                powder
                packaging..no ideas about that ???.

                Don't means any illegal such patented powders use with homebrewed 3d
                printers..no ?

                I didn't yet make a 3d printer ,just tried to find a compatable "plastic"
                tube allowing to
                apply the powder without any glueing problem ( testing with natural
                alginate dental plaster) ,I found one
                but it's impossible to describe what kind of material is used .

                I have highllightly polished the plastic with natural cotton FOR car paint
                polishing ,I think it's better than
                glass , something to survey is the electrostatic charge and
                discharge.......as laser printers..maybe
                to ground the tube at each end side could prevent from electrostatic
                problems.Some resin addition into
                plaster (from Paris) are naturally electrostatic.
                I have made a misstake about Flymo...oops..Fimo is the right name...sorry

                thanks again forthe patents link
                (sometime, too much patents kill the invention)

                cheers
                thierry

                > these patents have some formulas for the powder and binder:
                > http://br.geocities.com/sid3622/patents/
                >
                > <th.carel@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Hi Afogassa
                >>
                >> I have found this powder on the net , I guess some similar powder exist
                >> in an other country with an other name ,they say this powder should be
                >> mixed
                >> with water then is hard as ceramic when it's dry........
                >> here is the link in french for Plastiform powder:
                >>
                >> http://www.geant-beaux-arts.fr/Plastiform1-modelage.htm?af=2
                >>
                >> I was first looking for a kind of Flymo paste but as powder package ,it
                >> need oven drying process , Plastiform as paste need 48h per cm thickness
                >> without oven dying process..
                >>

                >> thierry

              • Steve
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 30, 2008
                  If there are static problems (I think that is what you meant by
                  "glueing" (sic)) then grounding a plastic tube won't have any effect.

                  You need a plastic that is slightly conductive. Or just use a metal
                  tube/rod that is grounded.

                  Steve Greenfield

                  --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "th.carel"
                  <th.carel@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Paulo

                  > I didn't yet make a 3d printer ,just tried to find a compatable
                  "plastic"
                  > tube allowing to
                  > apply the powder without any glueing problem ( testing with natural
                  > alginate dental plaster) ,I found one
                  > but it's impossible to describe what kind of material is used .
                  >
                  > I have highllightly polished the plastic with natural cotton FOR
                  car paint
                  > polishing ,I think it's better than
                  > glass , something to survey is the electrostatic charge and
                  > discharge.......as laser printers..maybe
                  > to ground the tube at each end side could prevent from electrostatic
                  > problems.Some resin addition into
                  > plaster (from Paris) are naturally electrostatic.
                • Andrew Werby
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 30, 2008

                    Date: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:44 am ((PDT)

                    I didn't yet make a 3d printer ,just tried to find a compatable "plastic"
                    tube allowing to

                    apply the powder without any glueing problem ( testing with natural
                    alginate dental plaster) ,I found one

                    but it's impossible to describe what kind of material is used .

                    [I'm having a little difficulty in understanding what you're
                    looking for, or trying to do, but it seems like you've got some
                    incorrect ideas about the 3d printing process. In the powder-bed RP
                    systems we were discussing, the plastic tubes are used for conveying
                    the liquid binder, not the powder. And dental alginate is not a
                    plaster; it's a seaweed based material that sets as a flexible gel when
                    mixed with water. Dentists typically use it as a mold for plaster.]

                    Andrew Werby

                    www.computersculpture.com
                  • th.carel
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 30, 2008
                      Hi Andrew

                      >And dental alginate is not a
                      plaster; it's a seaweed based material that sets as a flexible gel when
                      mixed with water. Dentists typically use it as a mold for plaster.]<

                      thanks to correct me , means dental plaster is something more related with
                      plaster of Paris ,
                      but more accurate or a faster or longer drying "window" time, isn't it ?

                      I should have dropped the binder conveyor chapter ...oops.
                      I have to give look closer back again at the last messages.. and check the
                      dictionnary.

                      br
                      thierry