Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: 3D LaserPrint - A Rapid Prototyping Machine Built From Scratch…

  • Fernando
    Message 1 of 90 , Jul 3, 2011
      I have just tried solving the 2 alternative dyes I have purchased in a
      acrylic monomer to see if the solubility was right.

      Tested food colorants
      E110 (Sunset Yellow)
      E102 (Tartrazine)

      Of both these colorants only E102 is readily soluble in Methyl
      methacrylate. The E110 has extremely low solubility and fails in that
      respect and should be abandone. E102 again passes the test and will be
      compared to SudanI next week, as soon as my test batch arrives.

      For all your dyes you want to test, Methyl metacrylate would be a great
      solvent as well as a test solution for solubility. This is because for
      acrylate systems MMA is a polymer component.

      On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 22:12 +0200, Pinky's Brain wrote:

      > On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 4:16 PM, s26570489 <ron@...> wrote:
      >
      > With respect to the Sudan I... Still mixing! Do I really need
      > to mix it for three days like they say?
      >
      > Would putting it in a solvent first, mixing it and then vacuum pumping
      > the mix work?

    • Michael Couch
      Message 90 of 90 , Jul 7, 2011
        Warren:

        This seems like a whole lot more difficulty than I'm looking for, especially when there is likely to be no backlash at all since the Z-Axis only has to travel in one direction in some of these designs over the whole course of the build. But I'll pass the info on. Some of these guys prefer exquisite precision.

        Not sure I even understand the way it would attach to the apparatus.

        Michael Couch