Re: 3D LaserPrint - A Rapid Prototyping Machine Built From Scratch…

  • s26570489
    Message 1 of 90 , Jul 1, 2011
      Here is where the idea for Bromothymol Blue came from…
      http://danielbriggs.co.uk/3dlaserprint/?p=85
      He also discusses balancing the ph for the part color.
      I would also guess the ph does not affect the UV absorption?

      With respect to the Sudan I... Still mixing! Do I really need to mix it for three days like they say?

      -Ron

      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Fernando <spacecaptain@...> wrote:

      > Bromothymol Blue is a sulfate or a sodium sulfate salt.
      > I remember to have dissolved it in ethanol for later indicator
      > preparation (by adding some drops into water). So, if have my s#it
      > together, it will likely be best water soluble and not so well in fatty
      > solutions.
      > But you are using Polyethyleneglycol Diacrylate as a resin, so you may
      > have better results there.
      > I guess experimenting will tell, but what I don't have clear is how you
      > will manage to get the correct pH value to achieve yellow-orange dye
      > color. Wouldn't aniline yellow, annetto or tartrazine be better suited,
      > as stable, pH independent dyes?
      >

      > On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 22:47 +0000, s26570489 wrote:
      > >
      > > I now have the exact chemicals listed below and will start mixing
      > > tonight. Does the Bromothymol Blue take as long as the Sudan I to
      > > dissolve? Any other suggestions?
      > > What is the 'official' way to dispose of any excess chemicals? For
      > > example if some spills or when the final part is rinsed off?
      > > Once the resin is mixed do I need to worry about intermittent exposure
      > > to florescent lights?
      > > Thank you
      > > Ron
      > >
      > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com,
      > > "danielbriggs@" <danielbriggs@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Fernadno,
      > > >
      > > > Sure.
      > > > Yes, I ordered through Sigma.
      > > >
      > > > Bromothymol Blue (114413-5G) - £17.04
      > > > Phenylbis(2,4,6-Trimethylbenzoyl)Phosphine Oxide (511447-10G) -
      > > £35.76
      > > > Poly(Ethylene Glycol-400) Diacrylate (437441-500ML) - £72.00
      > > >
      > > > Total was around £140 after delivery charges and VAT. Enough to make
      > > around half a litre.
      > > > This stuff isn't cheap!! (Around $450 a litre on todays exchange
      > > rate)
      > > >
      > > > Hope that helps,
      > > > Regards,
      > > > Dan
      > > >
      > > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Fernando

      > > Did you

      > > here:
      > > means

      > > this way

      > > detail
      > > finalised.

      > > working
      > > curing
      > > machine,
      > > version like

      > > been
      > > than

      > > completed

      > > enclosure
      > > am

      > > with

    • Michael Couch
      Message 90 of 90 , Jul 7, 2011
        Warren:

        This seems like a whole lot more difficulty than I'm looking for, especially when there is likely to be no backlash at all since the Z-Axis only has to travel in one direction in some of these designs over the whole course of the build. But I'll pass the info on. Some of these guys prefer exquisite precision.

        Not sure I even understand the way it would attach to the apparatus.

        Michael Couch