Bonding teflon to glass

  • vrsculptor@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 27, 2011
      I had forgotten that loctite offers a range of primers for gluing difficult plastics including teflon. I used one of their primers a couple of years back to permanently repair a UHMW part. It just might work in our application. Cost $10-15 bottle.

      Loctite 3092 Instant Adhesive - A two-component rapid cure cyanoacrylate adhesive for bonding a variety of plastics, rubber and porous materials.

      Loctite 770 Prism Primer - Adhesion promoter for instant adhesives on hard-to-bond plastics and elastomers

      Loctite 7701 Prism Medical Device Adhesive Primer - Adhesion promoter for instant adhesives on hard-to-bond plastics and elastomers

      Loctite 793 Prism Primer - Adhesion promoter, non-flammable, for instant adhesives on hard-to-bond plastics and elastomers

      Loctite 7951 Prism Primer - Adhesion promoter, non-flammable, non-combustible, for instant adhesives on hard-to-bond plastics and elastomers

      Roger
    • Michael Couch
      Message 2 of 6 , May 29, 2011
        "Loctite 3092 Instant Adhesive - A two-component rapid cure cyanoacrylate adhesive for bonding a variety of plastics, rubber and porous materials."

        Wouldn't you expect this adhesive to melt in a UV cure acrylic liquid?

        Michael Couch
      • vrsculptor@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 29, 2011
          Michael,
          The idea is to build a sandwich. Telon on top, loctite in middle, glass on bottom. Unless something fails the resin can't reach the loctite.

          Roger

          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Couch" <cmichaelcouch@...> wrote:

          > "Loctite 3092 Instant Adhesive - A two-component rapid cure cyanoacrylate adhesive for bonding a variety of plastics, rubber and porous materials."
          >
          > Wouldn't you expect this adhesive to melt in a UV cure acrylic liquid?
          >
          > Michael Couch

        • Roger Hamlett
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2011
            > "Loctite 3092 Instant Adhesive - A two-component rapid cure cyanoacrylate adhesive for bonding a variety of plastics, rubber and porous materials."
            >
            > Wouldn't you expect this adhesive to melt in a UV cure acrylic liquid?
            >
            > Michael Couch

            I'd be worried using this with acrylic at all.
            A lot of cyano adhesives give some quite complex reactions with acrylic.
            I'd suggest talking directly to Loctite.
            I think PTFE, is on the list of materials this _won't_ bond though....

            Best Wishes
          • JES_VFR
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1 4:23 AM
              At 04:17 PM 5/29/2011, you wrote:
              >"Loctite 3092 Instant Adhesive - A two-component rapid cure
              >cyanoacrylate adhesive for bonding a variety of plastics, rubber and
              >porous materials."
              >Wouldn't you expect this adhesive to melt in a UV cure acrylic liquid?
              >
              >Michael Couch

              No, Its from the crazy glue family, it will burn it gets heated too
              much, but not melt.
              I'd worry that the teflon might have heat issues before, I worry
              about the cure of the adhesive failing under the teflon.

              JohnS
              A Dragon Ascending
              "Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"
            • Michael Couch
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2 9:38 AM
                What I mean is cyanoacrylate melts acrylic chemically.

                Michael Couch