Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] DIY 3D DLP Printer, background info and real possibilities for the near future

  • Kevin Impson
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2011
      Hello,

      Been lurking in the dark corner,

      As far as patents... you have to have the money to sue someone, period.

      And, proving patent infringement is extremely hard in today's legal world.

      All you have to do is have a 30% alteration or difference from another product, that's straight from a patent attorney.

      So, alter the build size, resin, curing method, electronics, DLP project type and so on and so forth....

      I have a 4 x 4 x 1 foot work envelope with mine and I can use both solid and liquid UV resins. There was a posting about trying a UV cured powder resin a week or so ago. I tried it... it failed at first... I called a number of people I know in the chemical industry and tried again with more success.

      I am not understanding why everybody talks about making a project on there machine and it takes so long to build though? I have a UV source that focuses 1000W tunable UV to cure my solid and liquid resins. I think the guys with the working units should look into higher intensity UV sources.

      Edmond Scientific has UV sources, I am also going to experiment with a Piezo-electric dispense head on a CNC machine of mine with high intensity UV LEDs for a curing source and do sort of the RepRap thing, but with UV cured resin put out through a .05 or smaller orifice and cured instantly. That is going to be fun and I might pull more of my hair out at the same time.

      So, don't freak out about patents... they are for the rich and suckers only. Attorneys don't work for free.

      Oh, also think UV laser for curing. I also just for the fun of it played with drawing project from a craft warehouse, using the DLP project idea and simply put a LCD display on its back, mount so it could not move, then placed the projector over the LCD, had a UV filter between it and the LCD to protect the LCD. Place a UV light bulb in the projector and used some mirrors to reflect the projection downwards into the UV tank. I did the same thing that the guy with the DLP projector did. My cost $25.00 for the drawing projector and $5 for the UV light bulb. It did take forever for the resin to cure but it did work. I had wanted to try it and final had a couple hours to myself to play with it.

      Whats that commercial; projector $25, UV bulb $5, having fun priceless?

      Best Regards,

      Kevin I.

      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2011
        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Impson <internetgiest@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Been lurking in the dark corner,
        >
        > As far as patents... you have to have the money to sue someone, period.
        >
        > And, proving patent infringement is extremely hard in today's legal world.
        >
        > All you have to do is have a 30% alteration or difference from another product,
        > that's straight from a patent attorney.
        >
        > So, alter the build size, resin, curing method, electronics, DLP project type
        > and so on and so forth....
        >
        > I have a 4 x 4 x 1 foot work envelope with mine and I can use both solid and
        > liquid UV resins. There was a posting about trying a UV cured powder resin a
        > week or so ago. I tried it... it failed at first... I called a number of people
        > I know in the chemical industry and tried again with more success.
        >
        > I am not understanding why everybody talks about making a project on there
        > machine and it takes so long to build though? I have a UV source that focuses
        > 1000W tunable UV to cure my solid and liquid resins. I think the guys with the
        > working units should look into higher intensity UV sources.
        >
        > Edmond Scientific has UV sources, I am also going to experiment with a
        > Piezo-electric dispense head on a CNC machine of mine with high intensity UV
        > LEDs for a curing source and do sort of the RepRap thing, but with UV cured
        > resin put out through a .05 or smaller orifice and cured instantly. That is
        > going to be fun and I might pull more of my hair out at the same time.
        >
        > So, don't freak out about patents... they are for the rich and suckers only.
        > Attorneys don't work for free.
        >
        > Oh, also think UV laser for curing. I also just for the fun of it played with
        > drawing project from a craft warehouse, using the DLP project idea and simply
        > put a LCD display on its back, mount so it could not move, then placed the
        > projector over the LCD, had a UV filter between it and the LCD to protect the
        > LCD. Place a UV light bulb in the projector and used some mirrors to reflect the
        > projection downwards into the UV tank. I did the same thing that the guy with
        > the DLP projector did. My cost $25.00 for the drawing projector and $5 for the
        > UV light bulb. It did take forever for the resin to cure but it did work. I had
        > wanted to try it and final had a couple hours to myself to play with it.
        >
        > Whats that commercial; projector $25, UV bulb $5, having fun priceless?
        >
        > Best Regards,
        >
        > Kevin I.

        4 x 4 x 1 foot - Sounds pretty cool :) There's something I'd like to see.
      • Michael Couch

          Message 4 of 15 , May 3, 2011
            Kevin:

            What would you charge me for a simple object 26" x 26" x 3" high like a stop sign shaped frame 2.5" wide?

            Michael Couch

          • JES_VFR
            Message 5 of 15 , May 7, 2011
              At 06:34 PM 5/2/2011, you wrote:

              > > I have a 4 x 4 x 1 foot work envelope with mine and I can use
              > both solid and
              > > liquid UV resins. There was a posting about trying a UV cured
              > powder resin a
              > > week or so ago. I tried it... it failed at first... I called a
              > number of people
              > > I know in the chemical industry and tried again with more success.
              >
              >4 x 4 x 1 foot - Sounds pretty cool :) There's something I'd like to see.

              Yeah, but what is his resolution????

              JohnS
              A Dragon Ascending
              "Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"
            • Kevin Impson
              Message 6 of 15 , May 8, 2011
                Hi All,

                resolution was .5 mm, revamped the gearing on the submersion table is 100:1 against the .5 and now have .005 mm.

                It increased the build time by a factor of 3, if a item took 4 hours it now takes 12 hrs., That is the main reason for such a big unit. Plus, when I build any kind of Manufacturing equipment I build it to be usable for a long time.

                For anybody wondering I used a stainless steel cabling for the lift system for the submersion table, no lead screws or belts, the resin do stick be simple surface tension. Simple compressed air jets blows the resin off and what ever is still there simple sponge's mounted just at the bottom of each top drive pulley gets the rest off.

                Also, if the question is in anybodies mind, I am using two intersecting lasers which are modulated and de-focused at the hardening point on the model being built. That took calling, prying, researching, and hit and miss tuning on my part to final get the UV release just right. Normally you can take two laser emissions and pass them across each other with no interference, trying to make the opposite happen is like trying to rewrite the laws of physics. But, one of my old professors gave the push in the right direction, I think he knew I would figure it out, I sort don't know when to quit on something even in the bleakest and most depressive moments of the mad scientist creation moods I get into.

                My fiance came home final and asked me what I had be doing to keep from the edge, I showed her the machine and she thinks she needs to be in the hospital more. I did not see the humor in the comment, at all. Well, I just rambling so I degrees...

                Best Regards,

                Kevin I.

                > > I have a 4 x 4 x 1 foot work envelope with mine and I can use
                > both solid and
                > > liquid UV resins. There was a posting about trying a UV cured
                > powder resin a
                > > week or so ago. I tried it... it failed at first... I called a
                > number of people
                > > I know in the chemical industry and tried again with more success.
                >
                >4 x 4 x 1 foot - Sounds pretty cool :) There's something I'd like to see.

                Yeah, but what is his resolution????

                JohnS
                A Dragon Ascending
                "Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Boman33
                Message 7 of 15 , May 8, 2011

                  That sounds great Kevin.  Congratulations on your success.

                  I and I am sure many more are very interested in more details on your machine.

                  Bertho

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 8, 2011
                    At 08:25 PM 5/8/2011, you wrote:
                    >Hi All,
                    >
                    >resolution was .5 mm, revamped the gearing on the submersion table
                    >is 100:1 against the .5 and now have .005 mm.
                    >
                    >It increased the build time by a factor of 3, if a item took 4 hours
                    >it now takes 12 hrs., That is the main reason for such a big unit.
                    >Plus, when I build any kind of Manufacturing equipment I build it to
                    >be usable for a long time.
                    >
                    >For anybody wondering I used a stainless steel cabling for the lift
                    >system for the submersion table, no lead screws or belts, the resin
                    >do stick be simple surface tension. Simple compressed air jets blows
                    >the resin off and what ever is still there simple sponge's mounted
                    >just at the bottom of each top drive pulley gets the rest off.
                    >
                    >Also, if the question is in anybodies mind, I am using two
                    >intersecting lasers which are modulated and de-focused at the
                    >hardening point on the model being built. That took calling, prying,
                    >researching, and hit and miss tuning on my part to final get the UV
                    >release just right. Normally you can take two laser emissions and
                    >pass them across each other with no interference, trying to make the
                    >opposite happen is like trying to rewrite the laws of physics. But,
                    >one of my old professors gave the push in the right direction, I
                    >think he knew I would figure it out, I sort don't know when to quit
                    >on something even in the bleakest and most depressive moments of the
                    >mad scientist creation moods I get into.
                    >
                    >My fiance came home final and asked me what I had be doing to keep
                    >from the edge, I showed her the machine and she thinks she needs to
                    >be in the hospital more. I did not see the humor in the comment, at
                    >all. Well, I just rambling so I degrees...
                    >
                    >Best Regards,
                    >
                    >Kevin I.

                    Well Kevin the parts I need to make would be dwarfed by your printer,
                    but I have to ask.
                    How much would it cost to build one with a build area of 1' x 1' x 1'?

                    How much would it cost me to get you print a part for me so that I
                    could prove the concept to my boss?
                    the part would basically be a 6"x 6" x .315" hollow square.

                    JohnS
                    A Dragon Ascending
                    "Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"
                  • Manfred
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 9, 2011
                      Hi Junior,

                      I was wondering what sort of file or data is best for your printing technique?

                      I ask because in SketchUp there is already a slice plugin that creates cross section layers. All that would be required was to process these cross sections into a sequence of images to expose the resin to. In what form should these images be?

                      Thank you,
                      Manfred
                    • Michael Couch
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 9, 2011
                        Go any photos to post to the photo section? That would be good.

                        Michael Couch

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 12, 2011
                          Bump :-)