Evaluating interest in a stereolithography based/DLP/3D printer.

  • johnmann47
    Message 1 of 54 , May 1, 2011
      Hello Everyone,

      Let's just say, theoretically speaking, someone is about to offer a high quality 3D printer in the next month or two, and has roughly the specs below. Would this be of interest to you?

      - Build size: Roughly 9.5" x 17" x 42" height

      - Very fine part surface (layer lines and x, y resolution almost invisible)

      - Build speed: Let's say, around 45 minutes per 1" Z height.

      - Variety of material options: Hard durable plastic- white, colors, metal infused.

      - Material cost: Around $350 a liter (unfortunate, but necessary for quality)

      - Tray based design for minimal requirement of liquid resin. Trays switchable for different materials.

      - Standand post processing: Cleaning of part, post cure in sun or UV oven, removal of any build supports.

      - Sliced layer images required. Could be achieved by professional software, or any open-source option. Professional slicing software running in the "$500 and up" range.

      - Complete out-of-box device (with the exception of slicing software. Not a open-source kit).

      - Machine size: 1.5' x 1.5' x 6.5'

      - Solid aluminum frame, high quality parts and finished appearance.

      - Cost: Roughly $8000

      Paolo, I'd be particularly interested in hearing your take, as you (and others) seem to have the desire for a lower-cost professional quality printer.

      -John
    • Michael Couch
      Message 54 of 54 , May 11, 2011
        http://www.caligari.com/products/trueSpace/ts75/Brochure/solutions_design.asp

        Free, don't know if it has what we need though, can not download it on this computer.

        http://www.qcad.org/qcad_features.html

        Free, says it has layering. Don't know if that will work or not.

        http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/free-cad/index.php?title=Feature_list

        Free, has Python scripting and able to execute python real time within the program.

        This might be the way to go, if we have the progranning skills for Python.

        Michael Couch