My search for the correct material and binder mix gave me this + Random mulling

  • gotmeaname
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13 7:57 AM
      Plaster types- Ultra Cal 30, Hydro Stone, Plaster of Paris.

      Water Soluble Adhesive (Binder) 3 to 20 parts by weight

      anywhere from 3 to 20 parts "Polyvinl Alcohol" added to Distilled
      Water mix)

      The Suitable water soluble adhesive is "Polyvinyl Alcohol"

      Other suitable water-soluble adhesives may include water-soluble
      polymers, carbohydrates, sugars, sugar alcohols, organic acids,
      proteins, and/or inorganic compounds. Examples of water-soluble
      polymers include polyvinyl alcohol, sulfonated polystyrene,
      sulfonated polyester, polyethylene oxide, polyacrylic acid,
      octylacrylamide/acrylate/butylaminoethyl methacrylate copolymer,
      acrylates/octylarylamide copolymer, polyvinyl pyrrolidone, styrenated
      polyacrylic acid, polyethylene oxide, sodium polyacrylate, sodium
      polyacrylate copolymer with maleic acid, polyvinyl pyrrolidone
      copolymer with vinyl acetate, butylated polyvinylpyrrolidone,
      polyvinyl alcohol-co-vinyl acetate, starch, modified starch, cationic
      starch, pregelatinized starch, pregelatinized modified starch,
      pregelatinized cationic starch, and combinations and copolymers
      thereof.

      Surfactant: 0 to 2parts by weight

      Options include
      Surfynol CT-171,
      or
      Surfynol 465,
      or
      Surfynol 485

      in ranges from 0.24 wt % to 1.5 wt %. Such products are available
      from Air Products. The range of viscosities of the aqueous fluid
      suitable for use with HP 11 print heads is 1-1.35 cps. pH of the
      fluid can also have impact on the safety of the product, the effect
      of the binder on the reaction rate of the plaster, and the
      compatibility of the fluid with the materials of construction of the
      machine. An acceptable range of pH for the aqueous fluid is from 4.9
      to 10.3.

      Why it's needed: Surfactants are typically used to control the
      surface tension of the aqueous fluid. Proper surface tension helps
      ensure that the droplets being ejected from a print head are formed
      with a consistent volume, depart from the print head at the
      appropriate vector, and that they do not form satellite drops. Very
      high surface tension may create poor wetting when the binder impacts
      loose powder. Low surface tension may create poor droplet formation
      at the face of the print head.

      Whitening Agent 0.01 to 5 parts by weight (I don't care.. Do you?)

      Plaster Accelerator(s) 0 to 5 parts by weight

      Nothing was mentioned.

      My suggestion: Aluminum Sulfate- Mix 4 onces into to 50 pounds of
      Plaster. This is a formula I got from a trustable source that sells
      Gypsums. Ask people about salt and they will tell you it speeds up
      the set rate. Aluminum Sulfate does it the fastest.

      Solid particulate additive including an Acid 0.01 to 5 parts weight.

      Tartic Acid

      -----------------------------

      Some more Random mully.

      I notice you guys use the printer cartridges as is.

      Is it possible to feed the solution through a simple clear IV or
      Aquarium Pump tube into the cartridge using a Gravity Feed System
      with a much larger sized container suspended over it containing the
      liquid/binder mix.

      Two motors to drive the material up and down at the same rate. Is
      there a way to do it with one motor. Using gears or something like
      that. Sorry if that sounded dumb. I am new to all of this, and really
      want to make one.
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 14 7:01 AM
        Wow! Thanks!

        As for feeding the inkjet heads, you do -not- want anything overhead.
        Inkjet heads must be fed at a neutral or even slightly negative
        pressure and they are fairly sensitive to changes in that pressure and
        things like air in the cartridge (which in general is required).
        Here's something I wrote about the subject:
        <http://www.polyphoto.com/tutorials/bulkinksystem/ExtensiveThoughtsOnCIS.html>

        The tanks I designed feed at a very constant pressure:
        <http://www.polyphoto.com/tutorials/bulkinksystem/HydraulicConstantPressureExample02Web.jpg>

        Installation instructions for a set I sold for a while:
        <http://www.polyphoto.com/tutorials/bulkinksystem/1280/>

        Steve Greenfield

        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "gotmeaname"
        <gotmeaname@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > Plaster. This is a formula I got from a trustable source that sells
        > Gypsums. Ask people about salt and they will tell you it speeds up
        > the set rate. Aluminum Sulfate does it the fastest.

        > Solid particulate additive including an Acid 0.01 to 5 parts weight.
        >
        > Tartic Acid
        >
        > -----------------------------
        >

        > Some more Random mully.
        >
        > I notice you guys use the printer cartridges as is.
        >
        > Is it possible to feed the solution through a simple clear IV or
        > Aquarium Pump tube into the cartridge using a Gravity Feed System
        > with a much larger sized container suspended over it containing the
        > liquid/binder mix.
        >
        > Two motors to drive the material up and down at the same rate. Is
        > there a way to do it with one motor. Using gears or something like
        > that. Sorry if that sounded dumb. I am new to all of this, and really

      • raiorz
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 14 7:13 AM
          <gotmeaname@...> wrote:

          > Plaster types-

          Good info. Some are new for me.

          > Some more Random mully.
          >
          > I notice you guys use the printer cartridges as is.
          >
          > Is it possible to feed the solution through a simple clear IV or
          > Aquarium Pump tube into the cartridge using a Gravity Feed System
          > with a much larger sized container suspended over it containing the
          > liquid/binder mix.

          I think there is no need for any pump. There are some systems on the
          market for rebuild cardriges, with larger containers via long hoses,
          outside the moving printer unit (look at ebay for large printers
          refills, catch the idea and made it self for your printer). They all
          use just gravity (The container must mounted on a higher level than
          the cardriges). The only secret is, while you config those rebuild,
          there must no bubbles inside of the hoses.

          > Two motors to drive the material up and down at the same rate. Is
          > there a way to do it with one motor. Using gears or something like
          > that.

          No, its not a good idea, because you may need to change the distance
          a little different (powder platform even a little bit more than
          building platform)

          Rai