Step motors

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 14, 2010
      how do you determine the proper size of a step motor?
      I'm specifically asking for the media tray motors on a powder based inkjet build. I figure using the hydroperm, and a 8.5X11X12 fill tray max weight is 50# (~23kg).

      If someone has a link to some info, or something I would greatly appreciate it. If you know the answer I would like to know how it was derived so I can run the calculation myself if I change any parameters.
    • danmauch
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 15, 2010
        I use the formula Force in lbs= torque in ounces inches X 2 pi X the Threads per inch X any pulley ratio X .45 for acme thread or .9 for ballscrews /16 .
        So you need to solve for torque in ounce inches. You can guestimate the total weight of the mechanism as the force required. You then need to divide that by the number of leadscrews used to lift the weight.

        Dan