Re: While waiting for the coated glass...

  • tsalpha
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 15, 2010
      Hi Junior,

      Congratulations on an amazing result. Your efforts have brought new life into this group. Thank You.

      Question, I noticed on your first video, what looked like the resin building up on the acrylic base around the square part you were making. Is this still happening, or has this gone away using Polycarbonate? I'm assuming your latest results were achieved using PC.

      Keep up the good work,
      Tom

      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "josecarlos_junior" <josecarlos_junior@...> wrote:

      > Hi Guys,
      >
      > Had some amazing results with a palliative solution...
      >
      > Check on the blog...
      >
      > http://3dhomemade.blogspot.com/
      >
      > @Roger, can't wait to see this working on the coated glass!!!!
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Junior

    • Kaan Demirtas
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 15, 2010
        Hi all,

        Just curious. Have anyone tried surface tension changing products like rainfree or rainx?
        I assume these will prevent strong adhesion to glass.

        Best regards,

        Kaan Demirtas

        On 15.10.2010 16:26, tsalpha wrote:

        Hi Junior,

        Congratulations on an amazing result. Your efforts have brought new life into this group. Thank You.

        Question, I noticed on your first video, what looked like the resin building up on the acrylic base around the square part you were making. Is this still happening, or has this gone away using Polycarbonate? I'm assuming your latest results were achieved using PC.

        Keep up the good work,
        Tom

        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "josecarlos_junior" <josecarlos_junior@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys,
        >
        > Had some amazing results with a palliative solution...
        >
        > Check on the blog...
        >
        > http://3dhomemade.blogspot.com/
        >
        > @Roger, can't wait to see this working on the coated glass!!!!
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Junior

      • Michael Couch
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 15, 2010
          Great work and photos. What do you think your machine has cost so far?

          Michael Couch

          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "josecarlos_junior" <josecarlos_junior@...> wrote:

          > Hi Guys,
          >
          > Had some amazing results with a palliative solution...
          >
          > Check on the blog...
          >
          > http://3dhomemade.blogspot.com/
          >
          > @Roger, can't wait to see this working on the coated glass!!!!
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Junior

        • Michael Couch
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 15, 2010
          • Michael Couch
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 15, 2010
            • quazga
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 15, 2010
                Thank you so much for openly sharing the results of your efforts! I'm new to the group so I don't know the full story of what's going on here, but your photos tell me a lot! I'm getting the DIY 3D printing bug!

                I didn't know there was a clear Teflon either. I see your problem with the cured resin sticking to the glass. One thing I would suggest in addition to your efforts of providing a non stick surface is vibration. You'd be amazed at what a little vibration can do to change the properties of otherwise static processes. I'm thinking something like an ultrasonic cleaning unit that could be taken apart and the transducer attached to your build tray somewhere.

                Keep up the great work!

                --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "josecarlos_junior" <josecarlos_junior@...> wrote:

                > Hi Guys,
                >
                > Had some amazing results with a palliative solution...
                >
                > Check on the blog...
                >
                > http://3dhomemade.blogspot.com/
                >
                > @Roger, can't wait to see this working on the coated glass!!!!
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Junior

              • quazga
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 15, 2010
                  As far as 3D printing and metals are concerned, I'm wondering if any of you have heard of doing it with a modified electroforming process? I've had the idea in mind for years but have never experimented in that area. Surely though! Being how well known electroforming is, I'm sure it's been developed for 3D printing.

                  --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Fernando <spacecaptain@...> wrote:

                  > Metal sintering? Me LIKES that!
                  > I'm confident we could work something out based on powder printing using
                  > Zink powder. Aluminum powder comes coated with oils to prevent it
                  > oxidizing (and that's a good thing as pure alu powder can be pretty
                  > nasty if it ever gets to burn). Can you get fine enough brass or bronze
                  > powder? What about Iron alloys? Just brainstorming here...
                  >
                  > The question is, as I understand, for whatever metal we would consider,
                  > we must go with a simple water and ethanol based ink, with nothing much
                  > else in it. So we must have the binder with the metal. We may consider
                  > chemicals that etch/bond/glue in aqueous medium.
                  >
                  > A printed Zink/brass/bronze part could then be sintered in a kiln. Iron
                  > alloys need some serious heat.
                  >

                  > On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 22:47 +0000, afogassa wrote:
                  > >
                  > > It looks very, very, nice.looks like we got the basics of 3d printing
                  > > processes(powder,resin,FDM), now, who are going to take the next
                  > > step?sintering of metal powder?
                  > >
                  > > Fogassa.
                  > >
                  > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com,
                  > > "josecarlos_junior" <josecarlos_junior@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi Guys,
                  > > >
                  > > > Had some amazing results with a palliative solution...
                  > > >
                  > > > Check on the blog...
                  > > >
                  > > > http://3dhomemade.blogspot.com/
                  > > >
                  > > > @Roger, can't wait to see this working on the coated glass!!!!
                  > > >
                  > > > Cheers,
                  > > >
                  > > > Junior

                • quazga
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 15, 2010
                  • quazga
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 15, 2010
                      Thanks for the info! I'm always looking into all types of micro fabrication methods. So interesting! =)