Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: While waiting for the coated glass...

  • pavel
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 15, 2010
      A binder suitable for this use, standing the high temperatures and reacting with water of alcool is Furan resin.
      Furan or Furanic resins have been used in the metal casting industry for years. They''re the binders used to make the cores for the sand casting process.
      For what I know one or more RP machines based on Furanic resin / Furfuryl alcohol should exist in germany, at least I remember a pretty big one, making direct molds for sand casting.

      The Furan resin comes in form of a powder. It can be easily mixed to the sand and then activated by the alcohol when printed.
      Once cured, the bind is quite strong.

      I used a furan/epoxy resin for natural composites application and it's pretty good, it's natural and inexpensive.

      In the past, several years ago, I investigated the possibility to use the Furfuryl alcohol for RP, but I stopped after the problems of managing the printing head.
      You're well ahead now with the printing technology, so far it shouldn't be difficult to check this option.

       Give a look at the prometal process, I believe that's teh way to go.

      I will look forward for your success in this exciting adventure,  maybe soon i will get back in the play.

      Paolo

      From: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
      To: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 07:44:08 +0200
      Subject: Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: While waiting for the coated glass...

      Metal sintering? Me LIKES that!
      I'm confident we could work something out based on powder printing using
      Zink powder. Aluminum powder comes coated with oils to prevent it
      oxidizing (and that's a good thing as pure alu powder can be pretty
      nasty if it ever gets to burn). Can you get fine enough brass or bronze
      powder? What about Iron alloys? Just brainstorming here...

      The question is, as I understand, for whatever metal we would consider,
      we must go with a simple water and ethanol based ink, with nothing much
      else in it. So we must have the binder with the metal. We may consider
      chemicals that etch/bond/glue in aqueous medium.

      A printed Zink/brass/bronze part could then be sintered in a kiln. Iron
      alloys need some serious heat.

      On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 22:47 +0000, afogassa wrote:

      > It looks very, very, nice.looks like we got the basics of 3d printing
      > processes(powder,resin,FDM), now, who are going to take the next
      > step?sintering of metal powder?
      >
      > Fogassa.
      >
      > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com,
      > "josecarlos_junior" <josecarlos_junior@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Guys,
      > >
      > > Had some amazing results with a palliative solution...
      > >
      > > Check on the blog...
      > >
      > > http://3dhomemade.blogspot.com/
      > >
      > > @Roger, can't wait to see this working on the coated glass!!!!
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Junior

      Paolo Velcich

      Industrial+Yacht designer

      DUBAI (U.A.E.)

      Mobile: (+971)508158269

      Mobile Italy: (+39)3200715431

      Mobile HK: (+852)51340687

      Mobile China Mainland: (+861)3122340049

      pavel@...

    • quazga
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 15, 2010
        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "pavel" <pavel@...> wrote:

        > A binder suitable for this use, standing the high temperatures and reacting with water of alcool is Furan resin.

        WOW! I can't believe I've never heard of this before! Thanks for the info! =D
      • Fernando
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 16, 2010
          For some good reading on binders related to sand mold making:
          http://books.google.com/books?id=BXqVDRHW-ocC&pg=PA159&lpg=PA159&dq=&source=bl&ots=KLmohi0EDp&sig=8Ds3D1e13VvsvjShzs_qmPHjZoU&hl=en&ei=dl65TIHbNc6G4Qbqt-GoDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CDEQ6AEwBg#v=snippet&q=binder&f=false
          From a quick read there I think Dextrin is the binder to go with, although gas release in the kiln may become an issue.

          I haver tinkered with furan and furfuryl alcohol in the past and they are fidgety things to handle.
          I am not aware of a powdered furan resin, unless what you are talking about is sand-furan mixes which have to be activated whether by heat, acid bi-component, activator gas or some other external action. I am not aware of a water activated solution.
          Could you point me to the name of such a solution if you know it?

          Anyway, the furan based solutions i knew tended to be sticky, gooey, smelly (and toxic) unstable things. In pure forms they reacted violently and I got rid of it as soon as I found a chemical products dispensing point. I can picture them being messy to handle.
          But as I said, if you have a solution in mind that fits the rather specific needs of powder 3D printing, I would gladly change my mind.

          http://www.furan.com/furfuryl_alcohol_applications.html
          http://www.transfurans.be/template_page.asp?pag_id=21&lng_iso=EN
          http://www.prometal-rct.com/en/home.html
          http://www.prometal-rct.com/en/technology.html