Re: VFlash printer cartridge is $850 for 1.8KG

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2010
      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, vrsculptor@... wrote:

      > Roger
      >
      > PS Doing solid modeling on a 1:20.3 scale electric steam locomotive. I'm creating the patterns for a production product. Slow going, a lot of rivets and plumbing. I will probably have over 100 hours invested. I need to find someone to print the pieces. Probably 100-150 parts, 100-150 cubic inches. Any leads on a printing service appreciated.

      Could it be machined?
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2010
        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, vrsculptor@... wrote:

        > Printer is cheap at $9000. Cartridge is $850 and material costs is quoted by users as $9 per cubic inch. Material is soft until externally cured so a lot of (expensive) support structure is required. Build speed is 1/4 per hour. I'm not exactly sure how it works but as Fogassa said it uses a film/resin transfer mechanism.
        >
        > Way too expensive and complicated to try to replicate.
        >
        > Roger

        Looks like all this 3d printer manufacures don´t want to loose the easy way of making money along the time you have it.
        build something complicated that in order for it to work it needs expensive consumables and only you can supply that, shure an easy way to make money.
        If there is enough jobs one could expend about 10k in one year just for build material alone.
      • vrsculptor@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2010
          Fogassa,
          Not real easily. This train runs on 45mm track (garden scale) and is about 24" overall. Details like the larger rivets are only .050" domes and there are hundreds. The plan is do silicone molds of the patterns and either do lost wax or fiber filled epoxy castings. The run will probably only be a couple of hundred engines.

          My mill is 4 axis and my VisualMill CAM could maybe do it but I couldn't... a mans got to know his limits.