Re: Potato Starch

  • matthiaswm
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 9, 2010
      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Leland Lewis <zarb1@...> wrote:

      > Polyvinyl alcohol?

      Yes. It is pretty much the dry version of wood glue. It's a bit hard to come by, but it works magically ;-)

      BTW, all ingredients are edible, even the PVA supposedly is (don't eat wood glue though!). The alcohol vaporizes, so basically your printed model is just a huge piece of oddly shaped candy... .
    • wombatpilot
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 9, 2010
        Your Pics look AWESOME... the results are AMAZING!

        Where do you get your supplies and what is the durability (hardness) of your finished product?

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 9, 2010
          Hi Matt,
          congratulations nice parts, are you using Paulos´s program?
          that remindes me that I have a 3d printer to finish, maybe I will get it done and print a clone of myself to keep the fun part going:-)

          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "matthiaswm" <matthiaswm@...> wrote:

          > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Charles Couch <cmichaelcouch@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Looks like the potato starch is best. Formula?
          > >

          > Yes, I am happy so far. It's 3000 Starch, 500 PVA, 500 Powdered Sugar, 300 Dextrose (Fruit sugar), the Binder is 10% alcohol. The mix is pretty ad-hoc. I am sure that some experimentation would lead to even better results.

        • matthiaswm
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 10, 2010
            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "wombatpilot" <glamoree@...> wrote:

            > Your Pics look AWESOME... the results are AMAZING!
            >
            > Where do you get your supplies and what is the durability (hardness) of your finished product?

            Thanks. All ingredients are from the local cash and carry market ("Metro" in Germany: potato starch comes in 3kg bags there ;-). The only problem is the PVA where I did get a sample, but I have not yet discussed buying any. I am afraid that the minimum packaging is a metric ton :-P
          • Michael Fagan
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 10, 2010
              For sources for PVA, you might look at a supplier of materials for composite (fiberglass) boat building, where it is often used as part of the mold making process.

              On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 02:41, matthiaswm <matthiaswm@...> wrote:

              --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "wombatpilot" <glamoree@...> wrote:

              > Your Pics look AWESOME... the results are AMAZING!
              >
              > Where do you get your supplies and what is the durability (hardness) of your finished product?

              Thanks. All ingredients are from the local cash and carry market ("Metro" in Germany: potato starch comes in 3kg bags there ;-). The only problem is the PVA where I did get a sample, but I have not yet discussed buying any. I am afraid that the minimum packaging is a metric ton :-P

            • Neil
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 10, 2010
                Sources here in the U.S.:
                - http://wardsci.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_IG0015452